SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Life in SE23 - Eateries
lacb

10-11-2015 12:11 PM

My choice for a fry up! Very tasty too.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pippi

10-11-2015 01:38 PM

Yeah I read that article the same way as Londondrz, as in, olive oil = good/less aldehydic, etc.
Another thumbs up for Spice Guru, which we also tried on the recommendation in this thread. They seem to be doing a bit more than the 'usual', putting a bit more thought and creativity into their menu, and we were quite impressed.
However, also on the recommendation of this thread, we then tried the Babur (restaurant) premium takeaway last Friday night.....
OMG *faints*.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooood. Pricey but wow.
As good as dining in there!

rshdunlop

10-11-2015 02:37 PM

I think the research suggests it's not as simple as smoke points - you also want an oil high in monounstaturates. On that basis, nut oils are indeed a good choice. If takeaways are replacing nut oils with olive oil, that's a backwards step. But if they are replacing veg oils (not rapeseed) with olive oil, then it's an improvement.

Pippi

09-12-2015 03:58 PM

Is there any update on the new (eat-in, I think?) pizza place on Dartmouth Road? I can't remember the name of it, or whether there's another more suitable thread for this question...
On the subject of pizza, albeit not in SE23, has anyone been to Theo's in Camberwell yet? (Where Johansson's used to be.)
Really outstanding Thumbsup Delicious, affordable Neapolitan-style pizzas; nice, chilled atmosphere; and the decor is refreshingly simple and clean-lined (dunno about anyone else but I'm a bit over the Antic-style granny-chic, sticky-tabletop aesthetic). Massively recommended! (I'm presuming you can take them away too.)

michael

09-12-2015 04:45 PM

I heard that BoNa is going to be the best pizza restaurant ever!
https://www.facebook.com/bonasourdough/
Opening end of December.
Sour Dough Pizzas and rumour has it that they might bake their own gluten free pizzas.

Pippi

10-12-2015 10:43 AM

I don't have facebook or twitter accounts, and they're banned at work anyway, so can anyone tell me whenabouts Bona is likely to open? Thanks Smile

This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 10:43 AM by Pippi.

J.D

11-12-2015 11:49 AM

On Dartmouth Road.

This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 11:49 AM by J.D.

rshdunlop

11-12-2015 12:29 PM

Pippi - you don't need an account to view anything on Twitter, or public pages on Facebook.

Michael said in his post they hope to open late December.

P1971

14-12-2015 03:07 PM

I sampled the pizza from BOnA last week and it is definitely the best pizza I've had in a very very long time!

It will be opening in about a weeks time 👍

This post was last modified: 14-12-2015 03:08 PM by P1971.

Townleygreen

15-12-2015 11:17 AM

If you're after a really good Chinese, we love the Jade Garden in Green Lane Penge. They've been run by the same people since they started 20 years ago or so.
They're not on any of the takeaway websites and they only take cash, but they do deliver.

simonk

15-12-2015 11:42 AM

I've never had an outstanding takeaway in Forest Hill, sadly. The south asian places are all middling to poor (Babur excepted but only ever eaten in there) - they all seem to have a problem infusing the meat with good flavour, so you feel like you're having an identikit meat dish with some average sauce accompanying it. I also grew up in Leicester and subsequently lived next to the Balti triangle in Birmingham so quite possibly I've just been spoiled. Gurkha's Flavour is pretty decent IME but they do have an unfortunate record of getting orders wrong.

Pizza delivery is all average (the chains are the best, which is not a great sign), Chinese is poor, I'm not so negative about Thai Orchard as others but then I'm not particularly discriminating with Thai food so probably a bad judge... yeah, there's definitely a gap in the market for good takeaways here.

This BOnA place looks a cut above at least from external appearance, so I'm looking forward to that.

P1971

16-12-2015 12:11 PM

Rumour has it that the pizza oven at BOnA will be painted by (I think) the most famous artist in FH and I think people will come from quite far just to see this work of art.

I'll give you a clue - He comes from my neck of the woods and has been nominated for the Turner Prize in the past.

Here it is as a blank canvas!

Ligersaur

16-12-2015 12:58 PM

Initially, I thought that "the most famous artist in FH" could be home decor personality Linda Barker. Sadly, you go on to state that it is a male, so my guess is out of the window.

P1971, I am not sure which neck of the woods is your neck of the woods, unless you mean Dartmouth Road. Is your autobiography in Forest Hill library, or has it been one of the first victims of the funding cuts?

AMFM

16-12-2015 01:30 PM

Hurrah for Google. David Mach?

Deano

16-12-2015 07:37 PM

The most famous artist from Forest hill? I thought he was inside at her majesty's pleasure...

michael

16-12-2015 10:12 PM

When I heard 'Turner' I immediately thought of Timothy Spall. But it Turns out that Mr Turner was never nominated for the Turner Prize.

Deano,
The artist you refer to lived in Sydenham. I believe this has been proven beyond reasonable doubt.
Only nice people live in Forest Hill.

P1971

17-12-2015 08:14 AM

Yes, AMFM you win!

A little birdie that is also David Mach's neighbour on Havelock Walk told me this yesterday.

I made the guys at Havelock Walk aware BOnA were looking for someone to paint the pizza oven so.this must be the outcome I guess.

P1971

23-12-2015 08:55 AM

BOnA's opening day is 29th Dec!

Londondrz

23-12-2015 10:33 AM

A Tribal Pizza oven, awesome Thumbsup

derbybill

24-12-2015 01:53 PM

Coming back to the original subject of take-aways, I am really surprised that not one person has mentioned The Dewaniam in Wastdale Road.
The owner Rashid Sha started with a takeaway place in one half of what became the Dewaniam Restaurant (Stanstead Road) in 1980; I can remember the opening evening. It was always a pleasure to call into the Dewaniam restaurant to get a take-away up to midnight, or even later.
Rashid is still in charge of the Dewaniam Takeaway at 3 Wastdale Road, just round the corner from the restaurant, and they always seem to be pretty busy with orders for their home deliveries.
Good reliable quality with a very well tried and tested menu and prompt service. Jeera chicken is very good and Jalfrezi dishes are great if you like a bit of heat and spice.

The Dewaniam restaurant is up for sale and and is attracting buyers.

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields