SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Life in SE23 - Eateries
appletree

24-10-2015 08:35 PM

Having moved to the area recently and still trying things out, I'd love to have any recommendations on good takeaways that deliver to Forest Hill.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SEN

25-10-2015 07:04 AM

For Indian we would definitely recommend Barakah in Sydenham who deliver to Forest Hill (http://barakahtakeaway.com/).

We have been here for a couple of decades and after many average takeaways stumbled across them. Never looked back, the quality of the ingredients really stood out, you can see fresh veg etc has been used. Have been using them for years. You always get a sample of a complimentary dish. They have good options for both veggies and carnivores.

For Indian, I wouldn't go anywhere else (but I expect others have their own favourites!)

SEN

25-10-2015 07:05 AM

Welcome to SE23 by the way!

Oh and if anyone can recommend a good Chinese, we're still on the hunt...

Azira

25-10-2015 09:36 AM

Good luck. I've found most takeaway to be dire here. There's passable pizza from Firezza in Herne Hill, but everything else we've tried so far has been grim.

brencud

25-10-2015 10:32 AM

To avoid any upsets, you can search for places with good food hygiene scores on the FSA's website: http://ratings.food.gov.uk/

theirpuppet

25-10-2015 12:10 PM

Babur (Blockley Rise)
Raj Tandoori (Perry Vale)
Thai Orchard (David's Road)

Those are our favourites. However, there are plenty of places to eat-in around the high street.

St David's Coffee House (David's Road)
Dartmouth Arms (Dartmouth Road)
The Signal (London Road)
The Perry Vale (Perry Vale)
Aga's Little Deli (Dartmouth Road)
The Sylvan Post (Dartmouth Road)
The Archie Parker (Dartmouth Road)

Most of those places are open for lunch and dinner, even St David's. Or you can get some good stuff to cook / eat @ home from the Butcher on London Road (facing the Sainsbury's), Aga's or Il Mirto.

Londondrz

25-10-2015 12:42 PM

We have been here 14 years and have a curry from Elachi once a week, we have had one bad dish in all that time. Tse are great for Chinese but getting expensive. We have tried just about everyone else but return to these two.

Mr Robin Banks

25-10-2015 01:36 PM

get the hungry house app, it has a good rating system

lacb

25-10-2015 03:14 PM

Babur is pricy but wonderful. Mamma Dough do excellent pizza to takeaway but do not deliver. There used to be a good Chinese that delivered on the Dartmouth Road but no more - have yet to locate a decent one nearby even though I periodically retry ones that I want to like, for instance Tses.

appletree

26-10-2015 01:28 AM

Thanks to all for your welcome and for the suggestions. We are aware of the dine-in options and have tried many, but glad to hear your opinions as we haven't been everywhere. We're still searching for takeaways for those days when we can't be bothered to cook or go out. Your ideas are much appreciated!

equi

26-10-2015 09:20 AM

For Indian, spice guru on wast dale road is fantastic. Has he usual curries but also some interesting twists - Try their salt and pepper naan and its pumpkin side dishes. The location has seen various take away incarnations over the years but this, in my view is the best yet.

Barbur take away has gone down hill recently - I've had some fairly mediocre curries from there recently.

Red67

26-10-2015 09:38 AM

Wish, wish, wish there was a decent chinese takeway round here... we tried Tse's once when we first moved here 15 yrs ago (thought it was mediocre then), have had 2 takeaways since (both times willing it to be good, as other folk seem to rate it) and the second time, which was quite recently, we ended up throwing most of the food away - it was so bad it was inedible. The nearest decent chinese restaurant, IMO, is Dragon Castle in Elephant and Castle. If anyone finds a really good one that delivers to SE23, please post it on here!

Pippi

26-10-2015 09:42 AM

Babur the takeaway in Crofton Park doesn't seem to me to be in the same ballpark as Babur the restaurant on Brockley Rise at all, the quality is miles apart. We were quite happy with Royal Tandoori (Crofton Park) for a long time, and they are lovely people.....but then we discoved Elachi (off Stanstead Road) and I became a bit addicted to their mixed grill, which is delicious!
Now looking forward to trying Spice Guru and Tse, they sound great!
For Chinese food we've been loving Spring Way just recently, especially their salt and chilli dishes.
I'm superfussy about Pizza and have no recommendations sadly. Mamma Dough on Honor Oak Park is really nice to eat in, and an improvement on the previous Sodo, but not outstanding. I've heard about some really good places in Herne Hill and Crystal Palace though, so look forward to trying them some time. Best/most consistantly good pizza in SE has always been the Gowlett in Peckham for me Thumbsup

Pippi

26-10-2015 09:51 AM

Oh no, just read that last post, not in a hurry to Tse now!
Massive agreement about Dragon Castle - I prefer their outpost on Old Kent Road to the one in Elephant, it's a bit less humungous, more initimate and atmospheric, and they do a really good range of Szechuan dishes.
Best Chinese (Ayghur) food in SE, I nearly forgot: Silk Road in Camberwell. Seriously, addictively great.

topofthehill

26-10-2015 10:10 AM

Thai Orchard do takeaway. Don't know what takeaway is like, but we were there for New Years Eve last year and the food was excellent.
If you can collect,Si Mangia in Forest Hill Road do takeaway pizza and other dishes.

topofthehill

26-10-2015 10:52 AM

Gurkhas in Sydenham used to deliver to parts of Forest Hill. Not sure if they still do.

ringingcod

26-10-2015 11:46 AM

EXP in Crofton Park for Chinese

rshdunlop

26-10-2015 12:08 PM

We've been going to EXP for years. Best of the local Chinese, but standards have slipped of late, I think.

Red67

26-10-2015 01:00 PM

Ah yes, Silk Road....thank you for reminding me, i had forgotten. Very good. Haven't been for a while as i don't often go Camberwell direction. Has anyone ordered from Barakah (Indian) in Sydenham? It seems very popular... maybe i just had an 'off day' experience in Thai Orchard but we went there once (not long after it had changed hands from being the plain old 'Orchard', so going back a few years now) and had a truly appalling meal. This is going to make me seem like a picky twit but i have eaten some really superb (not necessarily expensive or 'posh') Thai, Chinese and Vietnamese food in London and this just didn't cut it at all for me. Have never been back but they must be doing something right to have stayed open for this long, mind you Tse's have been going for flipping ages and i have no idea how based on what i've eaten there/takeaway!. Have heard very good things about Van Dough pizza at St Davids but haven't tried it yet...

appletree

26-10-2015 01:29 PM

We've been to Silk Road once so far and were bowled over. Have tried quite a few Chinese takeaways so far and the best has been Chi in Crystal Palace. But would love somewhere even better.

Thai Orchard has been pretty good so far, though we miss the Thai we left behind in north London.

Just tried Himalayan Kitchen in Penge for takeaway and thought it was quite good too.

Pages (7): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields