SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Proposed New Homes at Eliot Bank & Knapdale Close
Herbparis

22-10-2015 11:44 AM

I have just received a letter from Lewisham Homes about plans to build affordable homes? on the green spaces at Eliot Bank & Knapdale Close, while I am not against the building of these new homes as I have been a Eliot Bank council tenant for over 33 years myself, while it is just outside the Conservation Area these will be a lost of trees & increase in traffic along this small narrow road will put pressure on the surrounding area has well as to the local services such as doctors etc.

The other issue is will these be council rent only properties or a mixture of rent to buy and private?. I feel that the amount of new development in SE23 has lacked affordable housing Perry Vale (Opposite Railway Station) Dartmouth Road, (Bird in Hand Passage), Print Works (Clyde Terrace), Lewisham Council has failed to get the developers to agreed with the percentage of social housing that they are suppose to build or have managed get out of the clause.

The consultation will take place on Thursday 29th October 2015 4:30pm- 7:30pm at The Community Room, 1st Floor, Forest Hill Pools, Dartmouth Road, SE23 3HZ

I will be raising this issue tonight at the Forest Hill Society AGM.

Please voice your view Sad

This post was last modified: 22-10-2015 11:48 AM by Herbparis.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Red67

22-10-2015 03:21 PM

Any chance you could post the planning application reference number please, Herbparis?

Herbparis

22-10-2015 04:18 PM

Hi Red 67

I have checked the Lewisham Planning and can't find any reference to the application

I have just discovered more information on the other side of the letter they plan to submit the scheme early next year with view in starting Summer 2016, if proposals are approved there is a contact name for the Lewisham Homes is Anthony Kelly and his e-mail is anthony.kelly@lewishamhomes.org.uk or phone
0208 613 7536

Has I mention that I am in favour of more affordable housing but this scheme would mean a lot of community green space and increase the density

Herbparis

22-10-2015 04:47 PM

In my last message I mean to say there will be a lost of community green space and no alternate green space, I have attached the planning and letter send by Lewisham Homes[attachment=3798][attachment=3798]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

This post was last modified: 22-10-2015 04:54 PM by Herbparis.

ForestHillier

23-10-2015 07:14 AM

Sadly this is happening all over the UK - yet what are we to do, as we need so much more housing

StewCall

24-10-2015 10:52 AM

Here's further information from council meeting minutes (housing) Sept 15 that they didn't include in their letter to residents:

Eliot Bank, Forest Hill (48 homes)
7.18. The proposal is to build 45 flats (11 x 1-Bed and 34 x 2-Bed) and 3 houses (3 x 3-Bed) across three sites on the Forest Estate. The current proposal is for the delivery of 22 homes for Social Rent and 26 homes for private sale. The scheme is formed from underused open-space, garages and a parking area that is proposed to be relocated. New housing proposals will be complemented by environmental improvements to the remainder of the existing estate.

7.19. The site is in close proximity to the Hanover Housing Association development at Featherstone Lodge which, obtained planning consent for 33 new homes in April 2015. It will be necessary to manage the construction programme accordingly, and it may be necessary to delay the start on site to allow for the completion of works at Featherstone Lodge. It is expected that consultation with residents and ward councillors will commence in the autumn.

Herbparis

27-10-2015 06:19 PM

Thanks Stewcall

For the information, I am in favour on building on brownfield sites such as disused garages, sheds and industrial areas, but this includes a loss of community greenspace area, I have lived on this estate for the past 30+ years and with the amount of greenery on the estate has made it a pleasant place to live. This development and the Featherstone one will mean a increase in traffic also an ancient conservation hedge identify of Local importance by Lewisham Council runs along the road.

With the prices of housing in the area avenging for a two bedroom flat at about £200,000 X 26 that would add up to around £5.6 million pounds, I would not think that all this money would be spend on improvement to the estate.

Also the development should consist of 100% social housing and no private housing.

I hope that an environment impact assessment will be done.

No Longer Registered

27-10-2015 07:53 PM

"The scheme is formed from underused open-space ..."

I thought that the purpose of open space was to provide open space.

It is a pity that Lewisham doesn't have the honesty to say something like:

"The scheme is formed from open space that has considerable amenity value for the local residents but we have housing targets to meet and there isn't any other land we can take for building without spending a lot of money we don't have..."

michael

29-10-2015 09:59 PM

Can you believe they turned up with a picture of a 15 storey tower block for the site?
Presumably so that the 7 storey block looked slightly more reasonable.

Red67

30-10-2015 08:45 AM

No, i can't believe it. At the moment i'm hoping i've just woken up from a bad dream.
Even seven storey's is unreasonable given that the other blocks near to it are much smaller than that, let alone 15.
And the tower would be 100% PRIVATE housing to raise revenue.

The 'consultation' (i use the term advisedly) was ultimately flawed by the fact that none of the (non Forest Estate) residents whose properties back onto this development had even been informed of the plans!

A lack of knowledge of the immediate area and the potential impact, no knowledge from the individuals present of the poor provision of GP's and dearth of school places locally, the pressure already experienced on local roads/parking and the fact that the area will already be absorbing a big Housing Assoc. development at Featherstone Lodge - none of this seemed to feature in any of the information presented.

There seems to have been an effort on behalf of Lewisham Planning to try to encourage sympathetic development in the area recently, with more houses rather than 'investor flats', so what on earth is this?
Affordable homes on brownfield sites, yes, but a 15 storey tower on a green space? Really?

And as for the 'underused' site they are planning to build on, what criteria are they using to define 'underused' exactly? No convincing answer to that one was very forthcoming.

BamptonRoad

30-10-2015 10:35 AM

Just to get this straight, they are planning a 7-storey building but also brought plans for a 15-storey block to show that it could be worse? Sort of a threat/blackmail? Or is it the case that they're considering going taller to raise more revenue?

The 7 storey building is presumably on the Eliot Bank site. What would that do for the setting of the Horniman Museum? The clock tower there is a landmark and should remain the highest point locally.

I don't know the estate well so cannot comment on the loss of amenity or the ability of the site to cope with more residents. Although it will increase traffic on the South Circular. The idea of building private housing in order to pay for more council housing is a good one. However, it has to be managed well unlike Southwark's Elephant and Castle schemes. As land is the majority of the cost of any London development then the council (which owns the land) ought to be able to own at least half of any new homes built this way.

Red67

30-10-2015 11:30 AM

There are three options proposed - 7 or 10 or 15 storey. 'We could build this enormous bl**dy great block (if we can get away with it) but ok, we'll just build this smaller block (which is equally unsuitable but doesn't look as bad in comparison, eh?!)'.
I'm sure it is a case of taller = more revenue.

Yes, affordable homes need to be built and funded, but no-one likes to feel bullied by this argument when it closes down valid 'build what and where' questions, which is what i fear is happening.

michael

30-10-2015 01:32 PM

Here's one of the images presented last night:

No image included for 3 storey or 5 storey.
The architects were able to laugh it off as 'just a concept'. I didn't see anybody else laughing.

I have to admit that for 30 years it has puzzled me why that section of land was not built on. It was my route to primary school so I have had plenty of time to contemplate the site. But even when I was at primary school I had to conclude that nothing had been built there because it would have been too intrusive to residents of the other blocks.

Having said that, the architects have proved that it is possible to build on the site without facing windows being too close. So it is quite possible that a 3-4 storey building on the site would be perfectly reasonable. If they were to establish that 7 storey would not be in any way intrusive, then you might as well take it to 15 storey, but why stop there?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Herbparis

21-11-2015 08:28 PM

I attended an the Forest Hill Labour Party meeting last week as the development was on the agenda, and all three ward councilors was present, myself another EB resident and Cllr Paul Upex put ours objections across but fell on the deaf ears of Cllr Maja Hilton who is on the Council Housing committee along with Cllr Peter Bernards (Housing Vice Chair) it also will be raised again on the next Labour party meeting in the new year. Which I hope to attend.

According to another resident they came across a meeting with residents of Tartleton Gardens, Little Brownings, Oak Lodge with Councillor Maja Hilton on the Eliot Bank field. They are getting organised to object to the planning permission to build on the site, and have produced the attached leaflet with artists impressions of what the block would look like from their houses, and from the bottom of Eliot Bank. They have also plotted out the footprint of the site on the grass.

An e-mail group as been set up consisting of concerned Residents and Leaseholders for the Forest Estate (Eliot Bank & Knapdale Close) as well as Tartleton Gardens, Little Brownings, Oak Lodge residents/leaseholders. if interested please send me an private message and if you live in the concerned area.

I have also attached a leaflet produced by one of the residents of Tarleton Gardens.

Herbparis

21-11-2015 10:02 PM

Please find attached pdf file of Eliot Bank Tower Block Proposal

Attached File(s)
.pdf File  Eliot Bank Tower Block Proposal.pdf (Size: 892.2 KB / Downloads: 594)
Londondrz

22-11-2015 06:24 AM

It's a rather fugly looking building. Very little in terms of imagination from the architects. Thank goodness it doesn't stick out at all.

Red67

22-11-2015 10:07 AM

That is not the actual architects design, just a mock up made by residents concerned at the proposals ....actually the image used is an improvement on the actual, really pig-ugly, poorly conceived monster proposed by Lewisham Homes, IMO...

Red67

22-11-2015 10:48 AM

No, that previous comment is insulting to pigs, apologies to my porcine friends.
Anyway, I look forward to this process being conducted with nothing less than scrupulous democratic transparency, with the concerned residents views being fully considered and properly taken into account, which I’m sure they will be.

Herbparis

24-11-2015 04:22 PM

The London Fire Brigade from Forest Hill Station was in Eliot Bank doing some building fire checks today, I mentioned to them about the proposed housing and if the LFB would be consulted and they said yes once it is admitted to planning they will be notified and will put their comments about the scheme to planning. They said about having problems of getting up the road with cars parked on this narrow road.

I have created an Facebook Group Account for anyone concerns or wishes to comments about the proposed development (Save Eliot Bank Community Green Spaces (SEBCoS) which can be found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/931708986865192/

This post was last modified: 24-11-2015 04:29 PM by Herbparis.

Red67

25-11-2015 09:59 AM

This post was last modified: 25-11-2015 10:08 AM by Red67.

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lost water pressure in Eliot Bank Herbparis 1 3,281 05-12-2018 11:33 AM
Last Post: BigED
  17 New Homes Proposed for Forest Estate, Forest Hill, SE23 hillview 0 4,453 20-10-2017 05:39 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Eliot Bank Hamilly 5 6,372 22-02-2016 05:39 PM
Last Post: P1971
  Date for your diary: Eliot Bank Summer Fair 20 June sydenhamhiller 0 3,406 09-06-2009 09:23 AM
Last Post: sydenhamhiller
  Eliot Bank School Summer Fair -Saturday 20 June sydenhamhiller 0 3,812 12-05-2009 01:16 PM
Last Post: sydenhamhiller
  Eliot Bank School erasmus 26 35,233 02-03-2009 10:08 PM
Last Post: eddy