SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Microsoft Windows phone scam
Snazy

20-10-2015 09:11 AM

Watch out for calls from 02033114151 running the Microsoft error scam. Just. Got a call from an Indian sounding woman on the above number.

Don't get caught out

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/wa...uter-jan15

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

20-10-2015 10:21 AM

I took one of these calls at home one day and was bored so played along for 10 minutes. They very nice chap on the other end of the phone got more and more annoyed at my being so inept on the PC and the fact that all his suggestions did not work. He terminated the call when I asked him if my iMac ran on Microsoft Laugh

Snazy

20-10-2015 12:55 PM

LMAO !! Awesome. Well done you. Thumbsup Rofl

rbmartin

21-10-2015 05:23 PM

I've had the Windows and TalkTalk scam calls. I just leave these dodgy numbers go to voicemail. Last week I had six calls in one day and at least two calls every day until Saturday. Not had one since.

Mr_Numbers

22-10-2015 06:21 AM

Occasionally I play games with the people who call to say "Someone in your household has had an accident".

Sometimes I try to shame them: "Does your mother know you do this for a living?" Or "You know you're telling lies."

Sometimes I pretend I've misunderstood and yell: "Oh my God! Who's had an accident? Are they in hospital? What's happened???" (I thought up this response when my daughter was at home alone one time, answered the phone to these idiots and believed that, indeed, someone was trying to tell her that one of us had been involved in an accident. Not pleasant.)

But usually I just give them a two-word response. "Go away," or something like that.

Nope, not proud of myself for any of this, but if it makes them feel just a little bit miserable, maybe they'll start to think that there has to be better jobs than this in a fast-growing, low-unemployment economy like the one they're calling from.

rshdunlop

22-10-2015 07:26 AM

I've asked more than one of them how they sleep at night - but only after they've got aggressive with me, which happens surprisingly often. I was once accused of being a liar when I said I didn't have a Windows computer. Oh, the irony.

Most of the time I don't bother, I just hang up the phone, but if I'm in the mood I'll keep them hanging on by asking stupid questions - such as demanding they tell me their real name, because I doubt it is 'Keith' - until they hang up. I think of it as a public service. If they're on the phone to me, that cuts down the time they are calling more vulnerable people.

Mr_Numbers

22-10-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:
If they're on the phone to me, that cuts down the time they are calling more vulnerable people.

Good work Thumbsup

ForestHillier

22-10-2015 12:08 PM

I very politely say no not interested - oh if ive had a bad day at work - i say f*** off and dont bother me again

Snazy

23-10-2015 11:52 AM

Loving seeing the responses from people here.

John Daker

23-10-2015 12:29 PM

I reply to the 'Its about your accident' calls with indignation along the lines of: Who told you this? I've never had an accident in my life! I hope you didn't pay for this information because if you did then you have been cheated....with care you can spin it out for ages. I sometimes start out by asking them what they can see out of the window and what time of day it is.
Any computer related ones I usually ask why they don't know I have an Apple. Then set off on the 'someone has been having you on' etc.

brencud

02-11-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:
I was once accused of being a liar when I said I didn't have a Windows computer.

I was once accused of being a liar when I said I wasn't Mrs Gibbons (I'm neither female nor a Gibbons).

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields