SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Burglaries on Dartmouth Road
reverendlionelblair

05-10-2008 09:10 PM

Hello

We have now been (attempted once and successful once) burgled twice in the last week.

Living in central FH, very worrying, be interested to hear whether others have had similar experiences recently or whether this is a one-off.

Cheers.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Applespider

05-10-2008 11:08 PM

I was burgled in Wood Vale in January and a neighbour was done a couple of months later. I've got a funny feeling that someone else in the road was burgled recently too since I passed the police forensics bods the other night.

I was told that there was a spate of burglaries at the time, targeting multiple-occupancy dwellings where they could ring bells to find out if people were in and if no-one answered, break into the communal hallway since they don't always have the best of locks and take their time breaking into each property. Never heard anything back from the police after I'd given them the details of the stolen items a few days later.

We've got an extra lock on the communal door that they can't just jimmy to get access although they could still break through the door. And my insurance company insisted on an alarm - and double mortice locks.

You could take a look on the interactive Met police map to see if there's an upward trend. I suspect there are often burglaries but we only notice them when someone we know is affected.

I hope you didn't lose too much of sentimental value and that your insurance company pays out correctly and promptly.

Snazy

06-10-2008 07:53 AM

Sorry to hear your news, its certainly not good news for people in the area, let alone yourself.

Would it be possible to share method of entry and anything others could look out for, so we can all keep our witts about us. i.e back gardens, windows etc.

Fingers crossed these people are known and get caught soon. (then no doubt cautioned, and asked to sweep a road for an hour)

brian

06-10-2008 12:23 PM

1 hour road sweeping , I doubt it that would infringe their human rights.

There is no way you can 100% keep the criminal fraternity out but razorwire on all fences will not do any harm

Snazy

06-10-2008 12:38 PM

Probably right, how could we impose penalties on these poor suffering people (aka scum)

As for the razor wire, I reckon that would end in the victim being prosecuted and coming away worse off in the end.

Ciej

06-10-2008 01:38 PM

We live on Derby Hill, and as far as I am aware in the last month on our street there have been:

1 mugging;
2 burglaries (one of which was our house);
two cars broke into (one of which was last night)

This is a disturbing, recent upwards trend. According to neighbours who have witnessed these events - they were the ones who called the police - the mugging and the vehicle break ins were committed by 3 young men, probably late teens, wearing hoodies, one of whom had a BMX style bike.

One of the burglaries was committed by 2 "eastern european looking men", who drove a purgeot 405.

It is worth being especially vigilant at the moment against anyone who looks suspicious, whether they match this description or not.

Snazy

06-10-2008 02:35 PM

Well said, it is indeed worth keeping an eye open. And reporting it if something is not right.

Too many observers, and not enough people doing something about it.

brian

06-10-2008 02:44 PM

Seem to be a lot of break ins recently. All the government figures seem to imply crime going down.
Which is correct.

Let us hope these are isolated incidents. Unfortunately we have no where left to transport our criminal classes. Or if Ciej description is correct someone's elses criminal class.

miller

11-10-2008 09:06 PM

Very worrying to hear about the recent spate of burglaries. But, Brian, I'm not convinced that burglary numbers are decreasing? Esp in current economic climate, which might imply the opposite.

Anyway, with regards to what can be done to prevent - this time last year I was living in Hackney and my flat had three (yes, really!) burglaries in six weeks. One of which was in the middle of the afternoon and the burglar/s removed the ENTIRE front window, including the frame, to gain access. And no neighbour heard it. These criminals are extremely adept at what they do and shouldn't be underestimated. Alarms, decent locks, double glazing and security grills (esp if you have a house/ground-floor flat) are recommended by police.

brian

12-10-2008 07:57 AM

Thanks Miller
That is why if they are caught they get a long prison term.

Baboonery

13-10-2008 11:09 AM

On Dartmouth Road we got letters on Friday from the police, offering a home visit and consultation in the light of the recent burglaries.

gingernuts

13-10-2008 12:44 PM

baboonery,
Make sure these letters are genuine before you let anyone into your house for a consultation!

Baboonery

13-10-2008 01:21 PM

I'm the police, I'm the clergy, I'm measures and weights,
I'm the man doing a survey on alleygates,
I need to know where you'll be on the following dates,
Cos I'm a bogus official...don't let me in.

I wasn't planning on availing of that particular opportunity anyway, gnuts, but thanks.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields