SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Consultation on Controlled Parking Zone in Forest Hill
localbigwig

09-11-2015 06:31 PM

People of Forest Hill. You really do need to look at the map of the proposed bays.
Many will find that there will be no bay at the location that they normally park.
Some streets will find that the number of parking places will halve, some will have parking bays on one side of the road only, where they currently park on both sides. Roads with a bend will loose large areas of parking.

This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 06:33 PM by localbigwig.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

10-11-2015 10:06 AM

The feasibility design does remove a lot of legal parking which causes no problem. The result will be that it will be harder to park around Forest Hill. In some places these are sensible safety measures, but in other places it is unnecessary.

But the feasibility design is a draft and quite specifically says that it is not the final design.

Here are a few roads where I think parking restrictions are not a good idea:
Rocombe Crescent triangle - double yellow (provides useful overflow parking for the Horniman on the busiest days)
Horniman Drive, beside the mast - double yellow (useful parking for Horniman Gardens and school)
Eliot Bank - double yellow (useful parking for the rear of Eliot Bank school)
Grassmount and Taymount Rise roundabout - single yellow (leaves no space for residents' parking)
Devonshire Road - single yellow (could increase space for residents' parking)
Derby Hill / Derby Hill Crescent (could increase space for residents' parking)

Where there should be new double yellow lines:
Dartmouth Road - Dartmouth Arms to Bird in Hand Passage

The CPZ, if implemented should be extended to Stanstead Road, Rockbourne Road, Montrose Way, Perry Vale, Church Vale, Westbourne Drive, and Dacres Road.

P1971

10-11-2015 11:26 AM

Just got this sent via email!

Further to my email 12/10/15, I can now confirm that the consultations are now underway in the various areas. I will appreciate if you could please therefore forward the relevant documents to any relevant local groups or members of the community.

It’s also important to consider that this will only be a consultation and that no decision has been taken to implement a CPZ. Representations can be made during this period and all comments will be included in a consultation report, which will be used as the evidence base when a decision is made, on whether a CPZ should or should not be introduced.

hoarsewhisperer

10-11-2015 01:11 PM

Agree with Michael, in particular with double yellow from the Dartmouth to Bird-in-Hand - parking here causes no end of problems at weekends especially with double deckers going both ways and leads to immense traffic jams.

P1971

10-11-2015 01:40 PM

There will be a public exhibition about this at

FH Library
Wed 18th Nov
between 4 & 7pm

Cost of CPZ areas will be

Residents

£120 per year or £35 quarterly
£30 per year for low emission vehicles

Businesses

£500 per year or £255 for 6 months

P1971

11-11-2015 05:04 PM

Via forwarded email just got this today about the exhibition at the library on Wed 18th Nov 4 till 7pm.

"The plan is a draft detailed design for a large area and is not in a format suitable for printing. It is best viewed on screen where you will be able to zoom in and out and clearly see the proposals.

For your reference, I include a pdf which includes a plan showing the extents of the consultation area and, for your reference, an excerpt from the detailed design plan suitable for printing at A4 including the area you listed in your email as of interest you and the Tewkesbury Lodge Residents Association committee. Please note that there are no proposed changes to the existing CPZ (Zone N) around David’s Road/Manor Mount.

Regards,"

carole

16-11-2015 11:59 PM

Here is the PDF which he sent me. Some of the area is probably sensible, but some of it is ridiculous. There is no parking problem in Liphook Crescent, Horniman Drive & Rocombe Crescent. But a CPZ would create a parking problem, as visitors to houses in the zone would park in neighbouring streets. Another stupidity is that, within a CPZ, people will be prevented from parking across their own driveways, thus massively reducing the amount of space available for parking.

Does anyone know what will happen if majority residents in some roads accept the scheme while majority in others reject it?

Attached File(s)
.pdf File  CPZ map.pdf (Size: 1.81 MB / Downloads: 564)
simonk

17-11-2015 10:48 AM

It's a consultation rather than a plebiscite, so the decision won't necessarily be based on numbers for or against.

Loncdl

18-11-2015 06:44 PM

This is all totally ridiculous. Over bearing solutions to a problem that doesn't really exist from our one party state council.

Deano

20-11-2015 06:30 PM

Hmm. Moat of the pariing pronlem on my street is due to the pools. Council build swimming pool with no parking claiming people will come on public transport. Streets around become crowded with pool users. Council get local residents to pay to park outside their own house. Council create the problem then benefit from the solution. They're not as stupid as I thought. ..

armadillo

20-11-2015 09:57 PM

You forgot the bit where the proposed solution is not actually a solution since the CPZ won't run at the weekends - which is when the majority of the pools parking occurs. Confused

Deano

20-11-2015 10:14 PM

Ha ha yes! So council get the money from us anyway and people can still park outside my house and use the pools! Genius! Why don't they just call it a compulsory car tax and be done with it. I loved the bit in the consultation document about this not being primarily a revenue raising measure. Well if that's the case then they could always decide to charge less? Unless of course it is just a revenue raiser.

borderpaul

20-11-2015 10:50 PM

Your car tax to the council will help provide free swimming to all those kids chauffeured to the pool parking outside your house at the weekend but at least they might experience a bus or walk during the week if the council have their solution in place.

brencud

21-11-2015 10:07 PM

Yes, about the revenue raising issue, why do low emissions vehicles get a substantial discount? I understand the sense of VED (car tax) being linked to emissions, as it's sort of a 'polluter pays' thing, but my car sitting motionless at the side of the road emits no emissions...

localbigwig

30-11-2015 02:33 PM

Reminder

The Closing Date To Return Your Completed CPZ Questionnaire Is
Friday 4 December 2015.

(speak now or forever hold your - parking ticket).

robin orton

11-12-2015 07:56 AM

Interesting discussion about this at last night's FH ward assembly. I think Cllr Hilton said that the closing date for consultation was today - I see it says here that it was last Friday.

Clear impression from those present and what Cllrs Hilton and Upex said that the weight of opinion is very much against the CPZ. A bloke is organising a door-to-door petition against, but I don't think it is accessible online. The local schools are up in arms because their teachers will have nowhere to park during the day.

The only person who spoke in favour of the proposal (applauded for his bravery in doing so!) lives, not surprisingly, in Derby Hill Crescent. He argued forever for making the restrictions operative only from 9-11 am, which would minimize the problems of parking for visitors, tradespeople etc.

borderpaul

12-12-2015 11:03 AM

I think it is fair to say that the majority of people are probably against the CPZ as parking is not an issue for them on their doorstep but at the same time the majority of people badly affected by parking outside their house are in favour such as Mr Derby Hill Crescent.

Apparently one school used it's own newsletter which seemed to indirectly encourage parents to drive their kids to school, asking that they vote against the CPZ and then by the way where would our teachers park and they might have to pay for parking annoyed local residents.

I think a few residents might have stated the obvious to them and this week's newsletter is an oh you naughty parents, parking over people driveways, blocking the whole street, bringing shame to the school, you must behave better next time. The school is now organizing some after-school classes for the parents to try to improve their behaviour.

robin orton

12-12-2015 11:16 AM

Embarrassing typo in my post of yesterday. 'He argued forever' should have been 'he argued however.' Apologies to Mr Derby Hill Crescent, who was in fact admirably succinct.

This post was last modified: 12-12-2015 11:19 AM by robin orton.

roz

12-12-2015 11:38 AM

Which school is this? They will all be affected by parking restrictions. Do sympathise with teachers who work long hours and have to lug books for marking around.

The pressure on all day parking for commuters would surely be eased by the promotion of the local Sainsburys and Perry Vale car parks which appear to be underused during the day. The £5 daily fee could be reduced for commuters who could buy say reduced day tickets for say £2.50/£3 under a special scheme.

There are ways of reducing parking pressure on roads near the station without implementing a costly and life changing cpz surely?

For years we suffered because of Horniman parkng when the Horniman advertised parking in local streets: we still do to an extent.

chrisse23

14-12-2015 06:00 PM

The school was Eliot Bank where my daughter attends.

I take my daughter up the hill nearly every day, but some days it rains or I have a meeting at work so my neighbour drops her off in her car along with her two kids, so even though I meet the criteria of angelic parent that doesn't drive their kids to school everyday, it would still negatively affect me.

I'm tired of do-gooders trying to curb my motor vehicle use. The fact is, when you have small children in particular, it is actually incredibly efficient to drive. The fact that they want to put the CPZ on top of the hill just goes to show that they haven't considered the role of topography on little legs.

Also, the large number of faith schools in the area really does limit the number of schools us heathens can get our children into.

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pedestrian zone Forest Hill area wbrayn 2 3,715 15-11-2020 08:01 AM
Last Post: michael
  Consultation re Forest Hill Road speed reduction pixysunflower 1 3,796 25-11-2018 02:43 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Free Saturday Parking in Forest Hill michael 1 4,737 04-12-2014 04:27 PM
Last Post: Fish Face
  SE23 - 20mph speed zone-Lewisham controlled streets jaradras 2 5,115 29-11-2014 07:38 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Why is HOP and Forest Hill in zone 3 and not zone 2 Redalways 3 7,802 13-11-2011 03:31 PM
Last Post: brian
  Forest Hill 20 MPH Zone NewForester 106 107,548 01-01-2011 12:16 PM
Last Post: XFH
  Parking fines in Forest Hill Londondrz 11 13,046 13-06-2010 08:57 PM
Last Post: Tinkerbell
  Parking in Forest Hill Elise 10 16,603 07-10-2008 03:10 PM
Last Post: Londondrz