SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Consultation on Controlled Parking Zone in Forest Hill
P1971

05-10-2015 11:21 AM

This might be of interest!

This is a part copy and paste of an email I was forwarded.

I am writing in regard to a planned consultation, for a new controlled parking zone (CPZ) for your assembly area but, initially, would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself.

I am a Project Engineer employed by the London Borough of Southwark, we are providing a shared-service between Southwark and Lewisham to deliver your CPZ projects.

We plan to carry out a consultation on possible new CPZs. The areas were selected by Lewisham as part of the Mayor and Cabinet report approved in April 2013.

The tables below provides a summary of the forthcoming consultations which will be carried out in November 2015. Please also find attached a more detailed programme for your reference and a project brief for the study, which gives detail on the following:

· Background and policy information

· A summary of the outcome of the parking stress surveys carried out in June 2015

· A map of the consultation boundary

Areas being consulted

Area
Forest Hill
In a network of streets bounded between Tyson Road, Sydenham Hill and Forest Hill Station
Ward(s) / Assembly
· Forest Hill

No. of properties to be consulted
Proposed CPZ operational days
Subject to consultation
Proposed CPZ operational times
Subject to consultation

Area
Brockley
In a network of streets bounded between Avignon Road and Wickham Road and between Brockhill Crescent and Vesta Road
Ward(s) / Assembly
· Brockley

· Ladywell

· Telegraph Hill

Subject to consultation
Subject to consultation

Area
Deptford South
In a network of streets bounded between Lewisham Way, New Cross Road and Brookmill Road
Ward(s) / Assembly
· Brockley

· Ladywell

Ladywell ward is only marginally affected (one street – Somerset Gardens)
Subject to consultation
Subject to consultation

Local assembly engagement
Part of the CPZ consultation process includes meeting with Local Assembly coordinating group to discuss the attractors in the area, the timings of the zone and the area to be consulted.

To ensure that we do not delay the delivery of the programme, due to potential ongoing discussion with working groups, the attached documents clearly explain the methodology and process for the consultations. Can you therefore please forward the relevant brief to any relevant local groups or members of the community.

It’s important to consider that this will only be a consultation and that no decision has been taken to implement a CPZ. Representations can be made during the consultation and all comments will be included in a consultation report, which will be used as the evidence base when a decision is made, on whether a CPZ should or should not be introduced.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
P1971

05-10-2015 11:49 AM

There will be a public consultation on Monday 9th November re Forest Hill zones - I'll keep all updated when I have more info.

P1971

05-10-2015 12:09 PM

I was too late to edit my last post - After reading the attached PDF again on the email the public consultation runs from Monday 9th November until Friday 4th December.

So I take it that's the 3673 properties to be consulted in FH.

michael

05-10-2015 01:12 PM

I can't say I'm in favour of this CPZ from Horniman Drive down to the station, and from Tyson Road to Kirkdale, although it probably won't impact me directly as I have off-street parking.

But the people who will be worst impacted would be people living just outside the CPZ, particularly around Rockbourne Road, Westbourne Drive, Dacres Road, and Dunoon Road, who may not have any say in this consultation. However, it appears that people in Sydenham Park Road will have a say, afterall their street are likely to become even fuller of teachers and pool users.

For visitors to the Horniman, they will have to use Sainsbury's car park - if they can find it. Perhaps the council will finally put proper signage for town centre car parking in Forest Hill?

Londondrz

05-10-2015 01:23 PM

A CPZ by the Horniman would create big issues and I am very surprised they are looking at one. During school hours there is no need (even though some parents need a very good lesson in parking) and during the day the street is pretty empty. I am SURE it is not a revenue raising avenue for the council after all Cool

chica

05-10-2015 02:07 PM

As Michael says, the boundaries of the proposed CPZ make no functional sense - if the Council thinks there's a problem around the station then there should be a CPZ on both sides of the tracks! I vaguely recall a CPZ consultation in Perry Vale ward a couple of years ago which found against - but I can't remember if they consulted on the other side of the railway at the same time then.

This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 02:08 PM by chica.

P1971

05-10-2015 02:24 PM

I agree with Michael, I live on Rockbourne Road and a lot of commuters already park their cars on this Road with some leaving their cars overnight on Friday's! I think this will make it even worse for residents to park on their own Road.

borderpaul

05-10-2015 05:18 PM

I doubt very much any CPZ vote would ever be successful as we have a large number of houses on these streets with off-street parking who will vote against it.

We need to start rewarding householders who preserve the streetscape, perhaps a reserved space for those who don't spoil their garden or reverse the process, people who build over their gardens tend to take the spot outside on the street anyway so why not people who don't Smile.

I live in the swimming pool car park so I welcome anything that reduces the number of commuter and pool cars parking and the noise and congestion that it has brought. I am not against people driving to the swimming pool/gym but I do think that the number who drive is surprisingly high if they are local as we have 3 bus routes and the overground serving Dartmouth road not to mention cycling or walking to it.

brencud

05-10-2015 08:39 PM

borderpaul, good point about preserving the streetscape. I find it odd that having off-street parking is rewarded by not requiring a permit when your drive takes up the same street frontage that parking on the street would anyway. It's like laying a claim to some public land without paying anything for it, meanwhile preventing others from using it.

michael

06-10-2015 07:13 AM

If there were to be a CPZ then there would need to be enough pay and display parking for pool users, shoppers, and visitors to the museum. I suspect the people who would be worst impacted would be employees of the local shops and teachers, who would no longer be able to park all day in the roads off the high streets and behind the museum.

Residents may also find it harder to park in the evenings as there may be a number of places reserved for pay and display in the morning and no guarantee that a residents' bay would be available. All of which would lead to paving over of more front gardens (where that is possible), or people actually using their existing driveways for parking, rather than as a reservation space to park on the street.

Shiro

06-10-2015 09:20 AM

Surprised there's no mention of a CPZ for residential roads around HOP station. It can be a real nightmare around here.

lacb

06-10-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:
Surprised there's no mention of a CPZ for residential roads around HOP station.

Probably because the previous consultations rejected the idea.

Quote:
It can be a real nightmare around here.

True and one effect of a neighbouring CPZ would be to cause overspill and make the situation worse. This phenomenon is recognised by the council yet they continue, IMO, to push for them as they are a source of revenue and easier to implement than addressing the root causes such as poor public transport links. For instance, there seems to be a lot of park and ride from East Dulwich and Catford but there are no bus links to HOP station from these local places.

wynell

06-10-2015 12:56 PM

Interestingly having an off road facility costs upwards of £3000 significantly more than a parking permit which is normally free. With some houses converted into flats there can be as many as 5 cars per property. Having residents parking would be a good idea as long as decent car parking facilities are provided for visitors.

borderpaul

06-10-2015 05:48 PM

£3,000 for a part of the public highway in perpetuity outside a £500k house is probably not a market rate. It probably adds considerably more to the house value turning a public asset into private profit with a loss to the local environment.

There will always be a need for some people such as blue badge holders to pay below market rate which I agree with but I think the council could manage our assets better charging a market rate to grant a dropped kerb and perhaps bringing in a yearly crossover permit where people who want their highway crossing private with the charge waived if they share the public highway with the public.

Londondrz

06-10-2015 06:31 PM

As my neighbour demonstrates every day, why pay for a dropped curb when you can just drive over the pavement. When I phoned the council about it they said "we dont have the resources to deal with it".

P1971

06-10-2015 07:13 PM

Londondrz, if you are on Twitter tweet @LewishamCouncil with a pic and info. Anytime I tweet them with a pic of fly tipping, metal sticking up on Roads etc they respond swiftly to say it has been sent to the appropriate dept or someone has been booked to go take a look etc, and from experience all have been dealt with within a couple of days.
If you're not on Twitter feel free to send me a pic and info and I'll tweet them!

christgill

06-10-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:
...a parking permit which is normally free.

I think Lewisham charges at least £120 a year for residents' parking permits.

wynell

10-10-2015 10:44 AM

Having checked the current cost of a dropped kerb it equates to nearly 40 years of permit charges. Having a permit to park a car entitles the user to a stretch of public highway effectively denying its use to others.
if more people parked within the boundaries of their properties the streetscape would be improved.

As for any increase in property value, the right to resident parking also carries a significant value add. However for some who wish to live in a home with security and convenience, property values are immaterial.

Londondrz

10-10-2015 01:37 PM

Wynell, I could put in a dropped curb, concrete over my front garden and cut down the three very large mature trees that are in the way. But I dont really want to. During the day our CPZ is empty, during the evening it fill up and then empties out at 11pm. No need to park in my front garden, the CPZ works really well.

robin orton

10-10-2015 02:45 PM

Can anyone explain what exactly is meant by 'a network of streets bounded between [by?] Tyson Road, Sydenham Hill and Forest Hill Station'? I have looked in vain online for a map showing precisely which streets will be affected.

Pages (7): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pedestrian zone Forest Hill area wbrayn 2 3,715 15-11-2020 08:01 AM
Last Post: michael
  Consultation re Forest Hill Road speed reduction pixysunflower 1 3,796 25-11-2018 02:43 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Free Saturday Parking in Forest Hill michael 1 4,736 04-12-2014 04:27 PM
Last Post: Fish Face
  SE23 - 20mph speed zone-Lewisham controlled streets jaradras 2 5,114 29-11-2014 07:38 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Why is HOP and Forest Hill in zone 3 and not zone 2 Redalways 3 7,802 13-11-2011 03:31 PM
Last Post: brian
  Forest Hill 20 MPH Zone NewForester 106 107,487 01-01-2011 12:16 PM
Last Post: XFH
  Parking fines in Forest Hill Londondrz 11 13,042 13-06-2010 08:57 PM
Last Post: Tinkerbell
  Parking in Forest Hill Elise 10 16,603 07-10-2008 03:10 PM
Last Post: Londondrz