SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Consultation on Controlled Parking Zone in Forest Hill
P1971

10-10-2015 08:03 PM

Here's the list of streets listed on the PDF attachment:

Dartmouth Rd
Albion Villas Rd
Amroth Cl
Benson Rd
Bird in Hand Passage
Cleeve Hill
Clyde Vale
Dartmouth Place
Derby Hill
Derby Hill Cr
Devonshire Rd
Elliott Bank
Ewelme Rd
Featherstone Ave
Forestholme Cl
Green Cl
Honor Oak Rd
Horniman Dr
Knapdale Cl
Longfield Cr
Radlet Ave
Round Hill
Sydenham Park
Sydenham Park Rd
Sydenham Rise
Taymount Rise
Thorpewood Ave
Tyson Rd
Westwood Park
Wood ombré Terr

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robin orton

10-10-2015 09:32 PM

Thanks, P1971. I wouldn't have guessed from the description given that the area between Dartmouth Road, Kirkdale, Sydenham Rise and London Road (which is where I live) was to be included. No doubt we shall be included in the formal consultation in due course.

Decker

12-10-2015 11:08 AM

Bring it on.

The less people from outside Forest Hill that can park in the area and contribute nothing to the area while creating parking and traffic problems to the actual residents would be welcomed.

I mean, all the people who merely use our residential streets as a parking lot to use the station is a joke.

Snazy

12-10-2015 02:33 PM

On the flip side, it makes it a nightmare for the residents of the street to have contractors round, guests, family who drive staying over etc.

I have grown used to commuter parking these days, but am blessed with off street parking, so only have to worry about occasionally having my drive blocked all day.

lacb

12-10-2015 03:38 PM

Bear in mind that of you have a CPZ and a driveway then if a guest parks over the end of it, they will get a ticket.

chica

12-10-2015 05:53 PM

Whilst I take Decker's point about people from outside the area parking near the station, the proposed CPZ would mean that a lot of SE23 residents (ie anyone living outside the CPZ) would now have to pay to park in or near the town centre. And the commuter parking will become much worse for Forest Hill residents on the other side of the tracks.

This post was last modified: 12-10-2015 05:54 PM by chica.

borderpaul

12-10-2015 07:47 PM

The reason Lewisham are consulting is that it is already a nightmare for a lot of residents not just to have contractors, friends and family round but just normal everyday living such as going shopping and having to park 15 cars away or an elderly relative visiting who can't walk very far.

Anybody wanting to park in or near the town centre has the Sainsburys car park which is free for 90 minutes or so.

Lacb, the problem with parking over a driveway in a cpz is the same as without a cpz, how do you know if the person parking there is obstructing your driveway or your friend. I am sure the council have a way of dealing with appeals.

It is going to get a lot worse for driveway owners in future as people will park over them especially if they see other people park over them, they will assume their driveway is not in use.

nottinghillbilly

12-10-2015 09:21 PM

Have you got a link for this? The consultations I could see don't appear to cover this area.

I am in Forestholme Close and we have some bays that we think are owned by the council and they think are owned by us. It would be nice to see where they are currently with this. It will make for some busy times if they are owned by us. Perhaps we could hire them out and make some community money!!

P1971

12-10-2015 10:36 PM

I have an email with linkks to more info, but not sure what I am able to share publically.

Sure I can show you If you pop in, I think

shaman

12-10-2015 11:42 PM

If it's just about stopping commuters parking up all day long, surely you only need a CPZ that covers a small portion of the day, Monday to Friday, when most people would be at work. ie, half an hour in the mid-morning.

Glasshalffull

13-10-2015 10:39 AM

The majority of driveways in Westwood Park are shared which often makes them impractical to use. Off street parking only adds value to properties where on street parking is an issue, this is not currently the case in Westwood Park. That said the amount of building materials that are kept on pavements and the damage caused to pavements by the vehicles delivering the materials does have an impact on the amount of spaces available.

lacb

13-10-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:
Lacb, the problem with parking over a driveway in a cpz is the same as without a cpz, how do you know if the person parking there is obstructing your driveway or your friend. I am sure the council have a way of dealing with appeals.

It is going to get a lot worse for driveway owners in future as people will park over them especially if they see other people park over them, they will assume their driveway is not in use.

Borderpaul, it is not the same at all. You invite someone to park over your drive when it is convenient to do so, usually when your own car is in the drive. Most people, with rare exceptions, do not assume they can do this. Quite a few will ask and if I know that access is not required then am happy to oblige.

With a CPZ, on the other-hand, it is quite simple - if someone parks over a drive they will get a ticket. I don't think that an appeal exists for this.

Quote:
If it's just about stopping commuters parking up all day long, surely you only need a CPZ that covers a small portion of the day, Monday to Friday, when most people would be at work. ie, half an hour in the mid-morning.

Agreed shaman. If it really is about that then this would be a good compromise, along with a resident/guest permit included in the council tax! The costs to enforce needn't be as high as the council make out as existing staff could make an occasional check and this would act as a deterrent. However, I don't think that this option is available as it is really about raising revenue.

Be careful what you wish for as once you have a CPZ, you are stuck with it and the fees will just keep going up. The more CPZs there are, the more pressure there is to add more of them (in areas that have not necessarily been consulted).

We don't have to play along with this madness - can we talk about better transport links instead please? :-)

borderpaul

15-10-2015 06:32 PM

If you asked the the residents of David's Road or Waldenshaw Road
whether they prefer to be stuck as a CPZ or return to their former status as the Sainsburys car park extension. I think you would find they would prefer the CPZ despite the fees.

They did wish for it, I remember and this is going back nearly 10 years, loads of people on David's Road used to have signs that said Residents Parking only, it was only when you looked closer, your realized it wasn't put by the council.

Londondrz

16-10-2015 11:19 AM

I asked for and got a CPZ on Waldenshaw Road. Whilst we dont own a spot outside our home entitling us to park outside our houses, in the good old days I would have to park on Honour Oak Road or beyond on some days as commuters were using the road. Not any more although Sat and Sun can be a pain as people cannot be a***d to park (for free) in Sainsburys.

OakR

16-10-2015 11:42 PM

I would only like something where parking is limited during midday, much as they do near Kings College Hospital on some roads near the park, I think it's 12-2pm you can't park unless you have a residents permit or you purchase a ticket then.

That would achieve the aim of stopping commuters whilst still enabling family to visit or having contractors in. My parents have all day residents only Mon-Fri and it makes it causes real issues, though I believe they are implementing some changes now due to the amounts of complaints they have had.

I'm generally against them but don't live on a road really affected by commuter or other non-residential parking, so I do have sympathy for people who have this issue, which I guess has got worse with the popularity of the overground.

shzl400

17-10-2015 10:06 PM

CPZs are a contagion. You get one, cars park just outside, they put another in, and it moves to the next neighbouring roads.

While I would argue it should be all or nothing, I would be very vexed to have to pay £120 just to park on my own road.

But then, I'm not being consulted at all - I live just outside the consultation area, off Dunoon Road.

wynell

19-10-2015 05:35 PM

Having experienced a CPZ in Barking and Stratford councils that are not known for generosity neither charged for the first car, but only for a second and as for Stratford(Newham) still give 30 free day passes for visitors with more available for a fee.
I do agree a time restriction of say 12 - 2pm would be best.

Ligersaur

27-10-2015 02:08 PM

Quote:
As my neighbour demonstrates every day, why pay for a dropped curb when you can just drive over the pavement. When I phoned the council about it they said "we dont have the resources to deal with it".

[rant]

Devonshire Road is a prime example. There are a vast amount of cars parked off-road on land lacking a dropped kerb. If you start at the Forest Hill end of Devonshire Road, you see examples within a few meters. I will even save you the trouble of looking.

The road is terribly overcrowded creating a problem for vehicles (often using it as a rat run) passing each other along its length. It frequently gets blocked in the mornings and cars speed and weave to pass each other. At night when there is less visibility, it is often dangerous for pedestrians to cross, and parked vehicles are often damaged.

If you notify Highways@lewisham.gov.uk then they "pass it to the Highways Inspector to investigate". [Seven months ago with no action in the meantime].

One or two unauthorised driveways would not be a problem, but Devonshire Road, with its numerous protection areas, is littered with untidy frontages creating a drab environment and messy, chaotic streets.

[/rant]

Decker

29-10-2015 05:07 PM

If Devonshire Rd gets CPZ you can probably expect the property values to go up significantly. That Street currently is just a wall of noise and chaos all day long. Must be horrible for the residents.

lacb

29-10-2015 05:30 PM

As a Devonshire Road resident, I can say it can be disruptive (oh the stories I could tell) around rush hour and other times too, but this is nothing to do with CPZ, or lack of - it is to do with rat running. If a CPZ succeeded in reducing the parking it would probably make the situation worse as the rat run would be even more attractive.

So, no effect on property prices there. Now, if the road were to be made one way, or traffic re-routed so that there wasn't a rat run any more, then that would be a different matter entirely! Sadly, the council will not hear of it due to emergency vehicle use apparently.

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pedestrian zone Forest Hill area wbrayn 2 3,837 15-11-2020 09:01 AM
Last Post: michael
  Consultation re Forest Hill Road speed reduction pixysunflower 1 3,882 25-11-2018 03:43 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Free Saturday Parking in Forest Hill michael 1 4,830 04-12-2014 05:27 PM
Last Post: Fish Face
  SE23 - 20mph speed zone-Lewisham controlled streets jaradras 2 5,199 29-11-2014 08:38 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Why is HOP and Forest Hill in zone 3 and not zone 2 Redalways 3 7,921 13-11-2011 04:31 PM
Last Post: brian
  Forest Hill 20 MPH Zone NewForester 106 109,634 01-01-2011 01:16 PM
Last Post: XFH
  Parking fines in Forest Hill Londondrz 11 13,351 13-06-2010 09:57 PM
Last Post: Tinkerbell
  Parking in Forest Hill Elise 10 16,858 07-10-2008 04:10 PM
Last Post: Londondrz