SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Hills & Parkes Closed
nitoda

01-10-2015 11:36 AM

Anyone know what's happening at the deli? Sudden closure with no further info is worrying.

Find all posts by this user
crassbelch
Banned Troll

01-10-2015 02:59 PM

[Post removed due to abuse -admin]

robbrockley

01-10-2015 04:41 PM

I do agree. Range has not been good enough and very overpriced. Shame as I like the idea of a deli locally. I think one could really work but it needs to be somehow different to Hill and Parkes offering.

OakR

01-10-2015 08:14 PM

I'll certainly never rejoice in the closing of a small business, if that is indeed the case.

In a strange way I liked having it on the high street but never used it. Went in a couple of times, didn't think much of the croissants (I believe they were brought in from elsewhere) and not much of appeal to me in there (nothing wrong with that if enough other people like what they have of course).

Let's see what happens.

I doubt there is the market to sustain it, but I would love a proper french boulangerie \ patisserie type place with cakes, fresh bread etc. Must do good almond croissaints! Unless someone can tell me one exists already! You go in for the smell of the place as much as anything! Be hard to compete against Sainsburys I expect.

Loncdl

01-10-2015 09:38 PM

A real shame, but some of the problems identified above are spot on. I sometimes thought I'd pop in on a Sunday... But it was never open. Then I'd go in for a loaf of bread at lunchtime... And they'd sold out. Also v expensive. Let's hope someone else makes a go of it soon.

nottinghillbilly

01-10-2015 10:35 PM

I too found the coffee underwhelming (Nowhere near as good as StDavids or Montage).
And everything was really overpriced-I shop In Wholefoods which is hardly cheap but I found H&P made me feel I was being ripped off.
For superb fresh bread I go to the Brickhouse off Lordship lane ,and Franklins Farm shop has great bread and groceries.
I noticed a new coffee place on Forest Hill Road near The Rose pub-has anyone been there?
Looks nice from the exterior.
Also agree a baby and toddler free cafe would be lovely.
Canvas and cream resembles a creche during the day.

oryx

01-10-2015 11:57 PM

I agree with those who've said it was overpriced. I also thought their stock was quite limited, to the extent that I actually missed the old deli on the other side of the road!

You can buy that lovely Cooper's Bakehouse bread (which was one of the few things I ever bought there) in Budgen's in Crofton Park.

Slightly deviating from the thread title, but a similar issue: anyone else noticed that McLaren's is having a refurb/closed? I must admit I hadn't been in for years.

Jemmalrc

02-10-2015 08:51 AM

It's closed presumably because it has been sold - it has been for sale for a while. I hope the new owner makes some improvements.

I am one of those annoying people who take my children in there... They do provide books for kids so I presume we are welcome. I do find it amusing that people think small businesses in this area would survive without attracting families. Every restaurant/cafe around here caters for families and there's a reason for that. While everyone else is at work Monday to Friday we are supporting these local businesses.

Londondrz

02-10-2015 09:16 AM

Jem, I think most people are happy to be in the same shop as kids. Most people are not happy to be in shops with mommy's and daddies who don't look after their kids. Being a mother or father can be stressful and I often see both parents sitting there with the "thousand yard stare" whilst trying to have a skinny moccha twist with a decaf extra shot.

I have two children, I looked after them when they were younger and took them to coffee shops. I folded their buggy, I put it out the way of other coffee shop users and looked after my kids so they didnt run riot and spoil the other coffee shop users. I would hope others would do the same. They dont always.

Azira

02-10-2015 09:26 AM

What Londondrz said. Small businesses can't survive without catering for all members of the community, including those of us not fond of "Look at me" parents. Most parents I know or have seen are considerate, but there are a few that seem to think the world revolves around them and they can really alienate other customers.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

02-10-2015 10:11 AM

This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 10:13 AM by crassbelch.

Londondrz

02-10-2015 10:29 AM

I think somewhere like that would have demonstration outside as soon as the Twitter generation get their claws into it.

A strong management policy that has the owners and staff asking said parents to control their kids would help. When From the Forest was open Hassan was polite but firm with dads/mums who's little darlings attempted to run riot. All done very quietly with no fuss.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

02-10-2015 11:12 AM

Londondrz

02-10-2015 11:51 AM

Careful, the indignantly outraged will be along soon. Laugh

rshdunlop

02-10-2015 12:36 PM

If you want a child-free cafe and a more-than decent coffee, St David's in Forest Hill does very well without catering for families. Not deliberately, it's just not physically buggy or toddler friendly. Always busy. I think there is definitely a market for both family-friendly and more adult-focused coffee shops.

Tinkerbell

02-10-2015 02:29 PM

"Think of people like myself who actively avoid businesses like H&P during the day because of screaming babies and loud parents"

You mean yourself AND that other person in SE23?

Londondrz

02-10-2015 02:39 PM

Londondrz reaches for the popcorn.Wow

milliemop

02-10-2015 04:07 PM

Totally agree, too many kids running riot in too many establishments!!!!!!

The Jammi Cafe in Brockley Rise has not been mentioned???? I am not a coffee drinker so can't comment on the coffee but again too many kids though which they welcome with open arms Scared

Londondrz

02-10-2015 06:45 PM

Tinkerbell, am I correct in thinking people cannot dislike screaming kids any more and that we should just put up with them?

Azira

02-10-2015 06:56 PM

Quote:
"Think of people like myself who actively avoid businesses like H&P during the day because of screaming babies and loud parents"

You mean yourself AND that other person in SE23?

Heh. I never thought I'd see someone effectively self-identify as one of the "look at me"s.

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hills and Parkes deli up for sale Bcm 35 36,896 23-10-2014 04:51 PM
Last Post: moodsk