SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Zippos Circus Peckham Rye
roz

29-08-2008 08:40 PM

We took our daughter to this today and have to say that it was very enjoyable old fashioned entertainment and would thoroughly recommend it. It wasnt cheap at ?30 for a pair of grandstand tickets however what is cheap these days! The acts were a bit unpolished but overall charming. The ringmaster, Norman Barratt, is doing well for his early 80's and is a showbiz personality in his own right. Its hard to believe he is still doing the rounds and you have to surmise that it must be for love rather than money.

Its on at Peckham Rye until Tuesday and then I think moves around London eventually setting up at Blackheath. Go see.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
baggydave

31-08-2008 10:45 PM

From memory this is the only new circus in the UK for the last few decades, the guy who runs it doing it out of love rather than money. Worth it just for his enthusiam and Norman.

Architecture_B08

15-10-2008 12:47 PM

Could anyone please give me more information on this circus that was on Peckham Rye (28th August - 2nd September 2008). For example, which part of the common was it on - the smaller triangular part (the furthest north) or the large open flat space in the centre or the space on the eastern edge?

Also did anyone take a photo of the circus layout or a plan/ map which shows this. I really need this for a project i am working on (i am an architecture student). Also any other information on Peckham Rye which shows previous/ future events and especially there layouts.

Thank you for your time.

fany9560

15-10-2008 12:54 PM

I suggest you contact Southwark Council rather than expecting a group of strangers to do your research for youUnsure

Architecture_B08

15-10-2008 01:06 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I was not necessarily expecting 'a group of strangers to do my research for me'. I was merely enquiring if anybody had some photos which i could have a look at. My intention was not to cause trouble for anyone, or to ask anybody to help me even. It was just an initial enquiry. I am sorry if it appeared that way.

I often find that the best way to understand an area is through communication with the locals. They often represent a more balanced and in depth understanding of the area and local events, than an institution or authority. That was my primary intention in posting on this site.

admin
Administrator

15-10-2008 01:45 PM

Welcome to the site, Architecture_B08.

jon14

15-10-2008 02:56 PM

fany9560 wrote:
I suggest you contact Southwark Council rather than expecting a group of strangers to do your research for you

Fany, I think you should stick with Desert Island Discs and the Archers. Social networking obviously not your strong point!

roz

15-10-2008 10:35 PM

Welcome, too, Bo8. The Circus was actually on the bit near to the cafe- around 100 m from the cafe to be exact. The Council may have photos and plans as I'm sure there must be restrictions on where the Circus can set up each time. Also try contacting Zippos direct through their website as this may also lead to something.

Good luck with your projects and course.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields