SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Farmers' markets in or near SE23?
susand

09-10-2008 04:59 PM

I'm new to SE23 and to the forum and was wondering if anyone could recommend any farmers' markets in the area? I saw in one of the free local papers that there is one at Hilly Fields this coming Saturday - is it worth a visit? Or perhaps the butcher on Wood Vale is a good place to go for good quality fresh meat?

Susan

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jon Lloyd

09-10-2008 09:48 PM

I went to the Hilly Fields one one and there was only 4 stalls, but I did buy some nice cheese!

Applespider

09-10-2008 09:54 PM

The butcher on Wood Vale is excellent. The queue isn't always the fastest since there's generally a bit of banter going on but the meat is very good.

Should you dare to venture down to East Dulwich, there's another good butcher there and a fine fishmonger.

There's a Farmers Market near Dulwich College but I can't remember which days it on or not. To be honest, with Borough Market, a 15 minute train hop away, I haven't hunted them out too much.

dita-on-tees

10-10-2008 07:37 AM

Wood Vale is excellent and the chap is really helpful, as is the one just off Brockley Rise, in Ewart Road(??) (this one also does frozen fish - monk fish sea bass etc)

The Dulwich Farmers Market was a couple of weeks ago, think it is the last sunday of the month. I think there is also a French Market in Lewisham tomorrow. Agree Borough Market is close by but it is stupidly busy and some of the prices are crazy (and you are not just paying for the quality of the produce) more of an experience than an everyday market.

Happysnapper

10-10-2008 07:58 AM

You could also try the East Street market near Camberwell. It's not a farmers market but a traditional street market selling everything from bags to fresh fruit, veg and LOADS of fish mongers!

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=...newmap.srf

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/businesscent...treet.html

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vipes

10-10-2008 08:20 AM

I think SE23 Mag mentioned a farmers' market at F Hill Pools 2nd Sunday of the month - I make that this Sunday. It's binned so can't check

susand

10-10-2008 08:32 AM

Thanks for all the replies - really useful. I think I will head up to the butcher on Wood Vale tomorrow. I used to live in Bermondsey before moving to sunny HOP and went to Borough Market quite a bit but I quite agree that the crowds make it a bit of an ordeal unless you get up at the crack of dawn, and it is pricey!

Sherwood

11-10-2008 02:06 PM

There are farmers markets in Dulwich College on certain Sundays.

baggydave

11-10-2008 03:17 PM

I'd avoid Borough market at the weekend as it has never been the same since Jamie Oliver put it back on the map.

Surprised that no one had mentioned Peckham on a Sunday outside the library.

East Street market is another good alternative as mentioned as is Lewisham (or Penge or Catford).

We had a farmers market a few years ago on Dartmouth Road but too few of you out there used it (see regular posts criticising the lack of people shopping locally.

And of course also worth visiting Wood Vale where you can admire the ex-railway line, ex-post office, ex hair dressers, ex offie an of course pay a pilgrimate to the Moor Park Tavern.

NewForester

13-10-2008 12:43 PM

As others have said, the nearest Farmer's Market are Dulwich and Hilly Fields.

Dulwich Farmers' Market,
South Gravel,
Dulwich College,
Dulwich Common
? Selection of meat, cheese and vegetables.
? Managed by City & Country Farmers market Ltd
? On 4th Sunday of the month. 9am-1pm.

Hilly Fields

The farmers' market at Hilly Fields is held every 2nd Saturday of the month throughout the year. Hilly Fields has been running since April 2003 and there are about 15 to 20 stalls depending upon the time of year.

Bus: 484, 122
2nd Saturday of the month 10am?4pm

If you just want a street market, then I find that Lewisham High Street or Croydon are the easiest to get to by public transport.

You could try Lewisham's, Southwark's or ViewLondon's websites for details of other nearby markets.

Holly

13-10-2008 09:41 PM

Did anyone notice if there was a farmers market at forest hill pools which was mentioned earlier, i didn't get the change to wander by at the weekend but would like to if there is one in the future (although i won't get my hopes up)

brian

14-10-2008 09:11 AM

Holly
I am sure about 5 or so years ago there was a farmers market in SE 23.
Originally in the swimming bath car park then moved to the Dartmouth Arms car park.
I guess lack of farmers in SE23. The nearest most locals get to farming is The Archers

baggydave

14-10-2008 07:56 PM

Most interesting high Street is Peckham, probably over 20 fresh food (fish mongers, butchers, green grocers) independent shops (Forest Hill centre = 0). Two market halls as well as the farmers market on Sunday. And not one mockney in sight!

brian

15-10-2008 02:11 PM

Ah true but has Peckham got a bra fitting shop.?

Applespider

15-10-2008 04:24 PM

I've always been slightly put off buying meat/fish from most of the butchers/fishmongers along Peckham High St after seeing them manhandling the meat along the street in old shopping trolleys first thing in the morning while wearing 'whites' that look like they've never been washed. In comparison to other butchers that I've seen, the hygiene standards put me off a little. The smell can also be overly pungent at times that puts me off.

The Chinese supermarket across from Primark has gorgeous fresh fish. Their king prawns are amazing.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields