SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Solar Panels
michael

24-09-2015 02:49 PM

I had a guy knock on the door abour installing solar panels on my roof, which sounds like a good idea and something I had been thinking about.

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of SunEdison installing solar panels for free and then charging you a small amount (3p-8p per kw/hour) for your energy use for 20 years?

It sounds like a good idea, but is there a catch? (I'm always cautious about door to door sales)
Throwing it open to the collective wisdom of SE23.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

24-09-2015 02:57 PM

I would hazard a guess and say the "catch" is they will recoup their costs and then some over the duration. Clever idea, almost buying roof space from people, to put panels on and sell the energy.

Only concern would be management and maintainence of the roof during that time. Who does it fall to, and how accessible it would be. Also insurance etc.

Time to Google them and have a bit of a nosey just for fun.

Beige

24-09-2015 03:24 PM

that's an interesting idea. To to your questions I would want to know:

1 - What happens if I want to sell the house?
2 - What happens if I just want rid of it?
3 - Who is responsible for maintenance of the panel
4 - What happens after the 20 years is up?

Londondrz

24-09-2015 03:47 PM

I would be concerned about a company doing door to door selling for something as important as this and the question over the situation where you sell your house is VERY important.

Some info here (US): http://www.technologyreview.com/news/422...the-power/

This post was last modified: 24-09-2015 03:48 PM by Londondrz.

Chipcity

26-09-2015 05:32 AM

In addition to all of the potential issues raised above, you will need to check the proposed agreement with your mortgagee. Even if you do not have a mortgage a future buyer may and there may be provisions in such agreement that they may not accept. You should seek legal advice before entering into any agreement.

This post was last modified: 26-09-2015 05:36 AM by Chipcity.

nottinghillbilly

26-09-2015 09:09 PM

He came to our house and was really really pushy.
I asked him just to leave a leaflet so myself and my other half could read over the details, he just continued to try to press me into booking an appointment to return that evening.
It seemed far too pushy.
We are considering having solar panels at some point but this guy put me off his company because he just came across as too desparate

sydenhamcentral

28-09-2015 10:07 AM

I believe door to door selling (and cold calling) should be illegal to residential addresses.

Be it double glazing, charity (unless there is a major disaster in which case it should be waived if additional funds are needed) or a brand of religion.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields