SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Manor Mount one-way system
Londondrz

01-10-2015 11:55 AM

Hi Perryman, the ambulance station is a resupply but also base station for the. Have a friend who is a paramedic and they are dispatched from there. As someone who lives right where they activate their sirens before hitting the London Road I can confirm they are quite regular.

As for making Manor Mount two way, no thank you. 40 MPH average the wrong way down it whilst illegal, can you imagine what the rat runners will be doing.

Happy with it as it is, just a bit of occasional enforcement would be good.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

01-10-2015 02:35 PM

Set of these at the end of the road should do the trick I think.

http://www.secure-lane.com/Road-Blade---...pikes.html

Perryman

01-10-2015 04:37 PM

Thanks Lonondrz.
I suspect many people have never seen an ambulance on call along there, so cannot understand the restriction.

gbrownings

01-10-2015 08:21 PM

I thought Manor Mount was two-way between 1530 and 1700. Mad

brencud

01-10-2015 09:05 PM

There's another option that hasn't been mentioned - closing the MM/HOR junction to motor traffic entirely, i.e. stick a row of bollard across the top. Problem gone.

Access would be maintained from Waldenshaw Road and egress from Waldenshaw Road and David's Road.

Londondrz

02-10-2015 09:21 AM

Brencud, for those of us who live on those roads it would be a pita. Why cause us grief because of few idiots believe they are more entitled than the rest of us. Most of the time it works very well. Better enforcement or camera tech is the way forward.

brencud

02-10-2015 12:04 PM

I understand your point of view, but current enforcement is clearly ineffective and prospects of it improving substantially are slim - police resources are stretched and I believe the Council's hands are tied in terms of camera use (government restrictions in response to the mythical 'war on the motorist').

I don't live on the affected streets (though my daughter goes to one of the nurseries in the area), but if I did, I would be willing to accept a little inconvenience in order to cut out this dangerous problem.

Londondrz

02-10-2015 12:54 PM

Brencud. This will mean that once again the 99% suffer for the 1%. That's why I stop people, take their photo and make THEIR lives a misery. Can you imagine if we all did that? Sure, some people dgaf but you bet your bottom dollar that lots of people shouting at a driver going the wrong way would have a positive effect.

Stand up, be counted!Thumbup

Perryman

02-10-2015 01:08 PM

Brencud - presumably ambulances use this exit, so it cannot be blocked.

And I suspect the emergency services would object if a set of crocodile teeth were fixed to the top - they might need to take a short cut, and that saved minute might save a life.

I have to say I am still not convinced that this is such a busy ambulance station that it justifies the one-way on MM - I guess we have to take it on trust that Lewisham are doing this for the right reasons.

Decker

02-10-2015 01:09 PM

So if you take a photo or video of these people and send it to the police, can they do anything? If they can I'll do it from now on if I see it.

Londondrz

02-10-2015 01:41 PM

Decker, Michael posted an email address somewhere on this post I think. Will haul it out. I am sure if we send them a photo with a copy to our local councilors someone MAY take it up.

rshdunlop

02-10-2015 02:29 PM

Perryman - I see ambulances coming out of the end of St David Road on regular basis. If the road was re-opened at the top to rat-runners, I can imagine the ambulances getting stuck in a line of traffic trying to turn out on to the South Circular. I remember when it was open as a rat-run and there were regular tailbacks right back to the turning for Sainsbury's car park. If an ambulance put its sirens on, the only thing cars in front could do would be to force their way out onto the South Circular, hoping traffic coming around the corner would stop for them. Not an ideal situation. With only a few cars at the junction with the South Circular, ambulances can easily get around them on the right hand side where the junction widens significantly.

brencud

05-10-2015 11:19 AM

If ambulances use the HOR exit that's one thing. But if not, I'd still prefer to live with very minor inconvenience than the threat of a 40mph wrong-way-down-a-one-way-street dgaf nutter. With the best enforcement in the world (which isn't likely to be delivered on any consistent basis) you still can't rule this out. With a row of steel bollards you can.

This type of intervention is already in place in the wider area (the east end of Stanstead Road and Spring Hill/Peak Hill in Sydenham are two examples), and is being rolled out widely by some of the more progressive boroughs in London, such as Hackney and Camden.

Londondrz

05-10-2015 02:26 PM

Brencud, do you live on any of the 3 roads?

brencud

05-10-2015 03:08 PM

Londondrz - I don't live there, as I've already mentioned. However one of my children attends one of the nurseries on those roads so my family visits daily. I've never actually seen someone go the wrong way down Manor Mount but I've seen plenty of (and had near misses in relation to) speeding traffic along Waldenshaw Road/MM/David's Road to avoid the lights on the South Circular.

I mentioned restricting access mainly as a suggestion that no one else had brought up. Default thinking in this sort of situation thinking tends to be car oriented and I wanted to give some air time to an alternative point of view. At a time when over a third of car journeys in London are less than 2km and we have epidemics of obesity, inactivity and air pollution, I think options that reduce car use are good.

I also think that the area where I do live would benefit significantly from a few strategically placed rows of bollards to cut out through traffic. Roads where people live should be just that - for living, not for through traffic. A single access and egress for motor vehicles would suit me just fine. The extra time required for some journeys would be a small price to pay for a safer street for my children outside their front door.

Londondrz

05-10-2015 05:20 PM

Brencud, a very thoughtful post but you forget that some of us use our cars to make a living. The issue of bollards etc has been addressed before (search old posts).

As for the nurseries you mentioned, people should not park on the zig zags outside Fairlawn but still do. Some people just dont care however they are a small minority. The same with the one way contravenes.

I would hate to have my life become more complicated due to a very small minority. As I have said before, the more people that get reported, the more chance of them being prosecuted and hopefully convinced that driving like a Richard Head is not a good idea.

brencud

05-10-2015 09:53 PM

Londondrz, perhaps I don't give enough thought to those who need to drive as part of their job. However if we could reduce the number of unnecessary car journeys, it would clear road space for those who need it. Just looking to make your life simpler Wink.

Londondrz

06-10-2015 08:28 AM

Brencud, thanks for your response. A sad fact is motor vehicles are here in massive numbers and will be for some time. As much as some people would like to plan them out of our lives they are a fact of matter and we should work round that. Traffic calming measures are great in theory but occasionally have a negative impact. A small proportion of people see them as part of a rally stage and go.for it whilst larger vehicles (usually diesel) slow down as they approach and then accelerate away from them adding a good lungful of pollutants to the air.

However I digress. I believe that enforcement is the way forward. Pity there is no money/desire for it.

P.S. anyone know what time the great and good defended on Manor Mount the other day?

Snazy

06-10-2015 02:07 PM

Londondrz, you mean the Police etc? Want me to ask them on Twitter?

It would be nice if there were a way to build out the entrance to make the turn in from the top very difficult, but I'm sure the DGAF crew would just inconvenience everyone on the main road, while they manoeuvre in.

PS, my comment about the croc teeth was mostly in jest, but if such a thing were ever put in, most systems have a workaround, a lockout for emergency vehicles. Just like fire gates etc. Not that it is a possibility, just pointing it out.

Maybe even just some "camera enforcement" signs at the entrance would deter 1 or 2 a month.

Londondrz

06-10-2015 05:15 PM

Hi Snazy, it was your post number 16 I was referring to. It would be nice if we have a "hotline" of sorts to the police because this activity only takes place when Honour Oak gets very backed up. Turn up at any other time and it is very rare for people to go the wrong way down it. Monday night was a perfect example, took my daughter to Guides and at 6:30 pm a white Mitsubishi 4X4 decided he couldn't wait so down he went. Was to far away to get a registration and driving so couldn't use my camera.

I quite like your croc teeth suggestion (my thinking was more along a Claymore!!!) but auto bollards are expensive.

The camera idea is a good one but sadly it doesnt work. There is one by the Horniman school but parents still park on the zig zigs.

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  mashed up suv manor mount/davids road manor mountie 2 3,188 15-03-2021 11:33 AM
Last Post: manor mountie
  Disturbance in Manor Mount manor mountie 0 3,128 14-02-2019 02:38 PM
Last Post: manor mountie
  Manor Mount closed for resurfacing hillview 0 3,466 12-07-2017 07:35 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Manor Mount - police enforcing one-way admin 4 7,197 06-06-2016 10:12 PM
Last Post: Devonish Forester
  Water leak on Manor Mount netty 41 45,575 15-01-2016 12:27 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Planning Application: 1 Manor Mount Mrjamon 50 57,343 14-12-2015 11:46 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Manor Mount closed Londondrz 7 10,011 29-01-2015 08:58 PM
Last Post: jenros
  Does anyone know the Kiddles of Manor Mount? christgill 0 3,939 16-12-2014 05:55 PM
Last Post: christgill
  Church signage on Manor Mount usamagpie 65 66,163 12-06-2014 01:48 PM
Last Post: BarCar
  Bizzare accident on Honor Oak Road by Manor Mount Londondrz 7 10,710 13-12-2011 09:08 PM
Last Post: roz
  Old photos of Manor Mount docsmith 0 4,350 14-01-2011 01:05 PM
Last Post: docsmith
  Manor Mount - Abuse of One-Way System baggydave 143 126,631 28-08-2009 06:41 PM
Last Post: scipio