SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next > Last »
Manor Mount one-way system
lacb

20-01-2016 11:58 AM

Yes quite and am trying to look at the wider issues rather than just fiddling with Manor Mount. So, I asked a genuine question:

Quote:
Am now wondering whether other initiatives, such as traffic calming on Honor Oak Park, which has its own speeding issues anyway, could result in more traffic opting to stay on the South Circular, which may not feel like it but is probably faster anyway. This would reduce the demand on Devonshire Road, Honor Oak Road and Manor Mount. Could that work?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Anotherjohn

20-01-2016 12:04 PM

I don't want to interfere, but I suggest that there is another factor in all of this.

The exit from Devonshire Road onto the Sth Circ can be seen clearly by traffic in both directions, whereas traffic coming round from London Road is virtually on top of the exit of Davids Road when it comes into view - not to mention the fact that pulling out from Davids Road is like a game of chicken!

Also, if the traffic's backed-up at the lights and a vehicle wanting to turn right from Davids Road pulls halfway across, that could potentially cause a log-jam by blocking the traffic on the Dartmouth Road phase which, in turn, could back-up across all 4 lanes of the main junction.

By the way, I remember Davids Road when it was 2-way (and it was great for the old horse 'n' cart!).

Devonish Forester

22-01-2016 02:28 PM

Anotherjohn

Quote:
The exit from Devonshire Road onto the Sth Circ can be seen clearly by traffic in both directions, whereas traffic coming round from London Road is virtually on top of the exit of Davids Road when it comes into view - not to mention the fact that pulling out from Davids Road is like a game of chicken!

Both junctions are very dangerous. Yes, the Devonshire road exit can be seen clearly but only for a short stretch and only if the road is clear ahead of the approaching vehicle, which is not often the case on the South Circular which not only has a high volume of traffic but especially has a high proportion of trucks and high-sided vehicles.

Quote:
if the traffic's backed-up at the lights and a vehicle wanting to turn right from Davids Road pulls halfway across, that could potentially cause a log-jam by blocking the traffic

Yes, this does happen, but also from traffic turning right from Devonshire. Maybe fewer would be trying this manoeuvre if the lights from Honor Oak Road into the South Circular remained green for a couple of seconds longer.

Anotherjohn

22-01-2016 06:44 PM

So the restricted view round the blind bend to and from Davids Road is no worse than Devonshire Road and the extra distance, which accommodates maybe 10 more cars from the Dartmouth Road exit phase, is of no significance.

That'll teach me for interfering where things are already set in stone.

Perryman

22-01-2016 10:38 PM

Many cars try to turn right from Devonshire Rd onto the south circ and this is tricky in the rush hours. If this was made a left only turning then I feel that would unclog this road. (perhaps an exception made for those theoretical oversized lorries that are lost.)

I can't remember back to before the no entry on MM, when David's Rd was reported to be clogged up with traffic, but again it might have been caused by traffic struggling to turn right onto the South Circ. Again make it a left turn only.

When tfl finally install that one-stage pedestrian crossing we have been promised, there would be plenty of time for any potential David's Rd tail back to clear.

Londondrz

22-04-2016 09:17 AM

Looks like someone took Manor Mount at speed and didn't quite make the corner. Straight into the road sign and hedge. A bit faster and they would be meeting their maker on the church grounds.

gbrownings

22-04-2016 08:34 PM

Laugh

Londondrz

26-04-2016 01:36 PM

Also, if anyone knows who the young lad in the silver Vauxhal is that bombs down Manor Mount nearly every Morning please tell him his number has been passed onto the police.

Londondrz

08-05-2016 12:11 PM

The local Manor Mount residents are at it again. Volvo V50 in dark green. Shame on you.

Londondrz

26-05-2016 10:24 AM

It seems the Royal Mail are once again above the law. LD57JYT at 9am this morning.

Devonish Forester

06-06-2016 10:10 PM

Quote:
I don't think there is much confusion about Davids Rd - it is clear why it has to be a one-way. The question is why the traffic is choked off at the top of Manor Mt and I don't see why it should be, any more than the other steep roads off of Honor oak Rd.

Here Here

Devonish Forester

06-06-2016 10:20 PM

Perryman wrote

Quote:
Honor Oak Road is not historically a main road. It is a narrow, twisty and hilly residential Rd. The P4 is designed for such roads.
Forcing its use as a main road is the underlying mistake that causes many other problems.

The road that historically connected Peckham to Sydenham perhaps back to the roman times is Wood Vale which is mostly wide, flat and straight.
But the residents on this road are even richer than those on Manor Mount and have long ago successfully repelled through traffic and bus routes.

Perhaps in Lewisham being a party member is more important than wealth, for having the influence to get traffic directed away from your own street.

Perryman

02-08-2016 06:08 PM

Quote:
DF, what bit about the road at the bottom of Manor Mount being too narrow for two way traffic escapes you?
The system was set in place due to a high volume off accidents with traffic going down Manor Mount too fast.

Interesting input from Londondrz, who could well know more than most on this.

But which parts of MM are one-way is not that clear cut.
While Davids Rd is formally one-way, there are no markings to stop ambulances turning up Manor Mt from the restocking station. I don't think we should be restricting their options either.

The controversy though is the one-way at the top of MM, and that it was introduced mainly because of a high volume of accidents is new information. Does anyone have any figures on the number and the severity of these accidents?

There are lots of steep hills around here but the vast majority are not one-ways.

Londondrz

02-08-2016 07:40 PM

Hi Perryman, if you dig in the archives there is a very old thread about MM and speeding. Manor Mount are quite well signposted but they do tend to get lost in the general clutter. As for the ambulance station, it is a resupply station so not an actual hub. However, they are called out from there fairly regularly (they turn on their sirens outside our house and my mate, a paramedic, often waves at me).

Leaving the station they have three ways to get out, down St. David's Road, up Manor Mount or along Waldenshaw Road. They are often held up at the end of Waldenshaw Road where it narrows, not a good thing. MM has a similar narrowing but is one way, St. David's, no chance for two way traffic and an ambulance would be stuck there for ages at all times of day with people trying to scrub minutes off their hectic lives.

Anyway, I am getting tired of defending the people who live on these three roads and the traffic, someone else can take over Thumbsup

Decker

02-08-2016 07:51 PM

Don't worry everyone who lives in the area thinks it should stay the way it is. It would be absolute chaos any other way.

Opening it would not have any positively effects what so ever. But would have many negative ones.

It wouldn't save any time at all. It just moves the problem from a road that is meant to have heavy traffic to one that isn't. End of story.

BT

03-08-2016 07:14 AM

Why does everyone insist on calling DAVIDS ROAD St Davids Road?

edpaff

03-08-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:
Why does everyone insist on calling DAVIDS ROAD St Davids Road?

Hear hear!

I looked into it once - couldn't find any historical reference to the road being called St. David's. I guess just an association with the coffee shop?

Blindbear

04-08-2016 09:19 PM

Has any one consider the Sainsburys delivery trucks? How bad that will get with two way traffic? As a resident of Pearcefield Avenue it's bad enough already with out throwing in more traffic and confusion.

Perryman

05-08-2016 02:02 PM

It is a fair point that the shop that would benefit the most from a more easily accessible car park would be Sainsburys, and they'd be a few more deliveries as a consequence.
My thoughts were more with giving a better carparking experience for the shoppers in Dartmouth Rd for example, but until the central area is more pedestrian friendly, I guess people are not going to venture too far.

Devonish Forester

05-08-2016 06:55 PM

Quote:
everyone who lives in the area thinks it should stay the way it is.

What is the evidential basis for this assertion?

Which roads do you include as "in the area"?

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  mashed up suv manor mount/davids road manor mountie 2 3,183 15-03-2021 11:33 AM
Last Post: manor mountie
  Disturbance in Manor Mount manor mountie 0 3,127 14-02-2019 02:38 PM
Last Post: manor mountie
  Manor Mount closed for resurfacing hillview 0 3,465 12-07-2017 07:35 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Manor Mount - police enforcing one-way admin 4 7,189 06-06-2016 10:12 PM
Last Post: Devonish Forester
  Water leak on Manor Mount netty 41 45,560 15-01-2016 12:27 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Planning Application: 1 Manor Mount Mrjamon 50 57,329 14-12-2015 11:46 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Manor Mount closed Londondrz 7 10,009 29-01-2015 08:58 PM
Last Post: jenros
  Does anyone know the Kiddles of Manor Mount? christgill 0 3,935 16-12-2014 05:55 PM
Last Post: christgill
  Church signage on Manor Mount usamagpie 65 66,147 12-06-2014 01:48 PM
Last Post: BarCar
  Bizzare accident on Honor Oak Road by Manor Mount Londondrz 7 10,707 13-12-2011 09:08 PM
Last Post: roz
  Old photos of Manor Mount docsmith 0 4,349 14-01-2011 01:05 PM
Last Post: docsmith
  Manor Mount - Abuse of One-Way System baggydave 143 126,614 28-08-2009 06:41 PM
Last Post: scipio