SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
Fox feeders at it again
Azira

24-09-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:
Apparently the foxes disturb their dogs.

This may explain a lot. I've seen it recommended on some forums as being a way of luring foxes away from your property. I think it's misguided, but if that is their motivation rather than being tree-hugger animal lovers, perhaps this could be resolved to everyone's satisfaction in a less confrontational way?[/quote]

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mr_Numbers

24-09-2015 02:41 PM

Quote:
getting annoyed at being filmed without your permission

Sounds like the neighbours were annoyed before the filming started!

Good points, though, azira. Might be a good idea for the other person to edit his comment and delete the addresses at the very least. We don't need to know.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

24-09-2015 02:49 PM

[Post removed due to abuse -admin]

Azira

24-09-2015 02:49 PM

For the avoidance of doubt, the address citing was in a previous thread (which appears to have inspired the comments about the Guardianistas).

Azira

24-09-2015 03:09 PM

I'd always be circumspect about how much detail I gave out about my gripes with neighbours.

Things can be a matter of interpretation at times - the point I was trying to make earlier is that you think what they are doing is anti-social, but there are people who might think your behaviour was the same.

It's potentially all too easy to stray from a factual statement to one that is a matter of opinion and that might end up in defamation territory if you're getting het up about a topic.

I understand you are angry, but if you want resolution of the problem, I'd suggest the strategy you are adopting - broadcasting your negative opinion of these people to the world - is the least likely to be successful and the most likely to cause further problems down the line.

Londondrz

24-09-2015 03:25 PM

Azira, the issue is that if we stopped having a good rant then this forum, and a lot of others, would be very empty places.

Where as a few years ago we would talk to people and vent, now days we do it on-line.

The OP has posted (on this thread and the original) as a cry for help/assistance/comment and, rightly or wrongly posted the video to back up their interaction with the couple in question.

Naming them on a forum like this is open to interpretation, some feel they should be shown, some feel not. The main gist is that the OP has posted it here, and legally so. I feel sad that some people would have a go at the OP because of what they have done as opposed to suggesting ways to remedy the situation. Clearly the couple in question have demonstrated (on camera) that they do not want to enter into discourse over the situation and offer a physical response to the OP.

I have a live and let live relationship with our foxes but don't feed them. To encourage them to feed outside your house to lure them away from your garden as it disturbs your dogs (if that is the case) is unsociable and plain bloody rude (and hypocritical).

OP (origional poster).

Azira

24-09-2015 03:59 PM

I have no problem with a good netrant. Very cathartic! I'm just don't see the need to post a video and (on another thread) give their address. No-one had questioned the veracity of his claims, so it seems a bit if a nuclear first response.

Mr Robin Banks

24-09-2015 04:22 PM

Foxes are vermin and should not be fed. Its that simple

Erekose

24-09-2015 07:23 PM

The sooner the hunting bill is repealed and we can get down to some urban Fox hunting the better.......I am tired of the damage they cause in my garden and their evil smelling poo which decorates my doorstep most mornings. At least in the country you can shoot them but in an urban environment this seems to be frowned upon.....can't think why.

Londondrz

24-09-2015 08:22 PM

Shooting them!!! You brute!!! Torture them to death surely???

No Longer Registered

24-09-2015 09:04 PM

Well passions are running high. I wonder if in retrospect the anti-fox
hunting bandwagon threw the baby out with the bath water.

Not many would champion cruelty to animals but the fox seems to have achieved a status of most favoured national cuddly toy. A status not really justified by its habits.

In fact (stop me if I am being boring) a fox as a furry brown mammal that thrives in human cities and which you wouldn't want anywhere near your baby is no different from a ............... rat?

Ooops but don't we spend loads of money putting poison in those plastic boxes to try and kill the rats? I'm confused. Should I be feeding the local rats or poisoning them?

Londondrz

24-09-2015 09:16 PM

Foxes, the new chavs?

Wow

No Longer Registered

24-09-2015 09:52 PM

Nice try but no.

Indeed, applying human values and sentiment to a wild animal whilst ignoring zoology is the reason why we can't behave logically on this subject.

Erekose

25-09-2015 05:51 AM

Growing up in a small farming community in the West country foxes were rarely seen and only a problem when they attacked our chickens - and were then dealt with. A Fox seen in the daytime was a very unusual sight indeed.
The problem with urban foxes is that they have grown bolder than their rural cousins and plentiful on the food bonanza cities offer them. In the 40 years I have lived in London I have watched their numbers increase and their behaviour become very atypical. They are a successful scavenger and it seems to me that the rise in numbers is linked to the rise in fast food the discarded remains of which are easy pickings for them. Control seems now to rely on the car and lorry which polishes off a fair number but limiting the food supply would be a better method.
I was of course joking about urban Fox hunting although I can see readily see Boris in his hunting gear charging down leafy suburban streets after the little red blighter.....not a good image.

Azira

25-09-2015 06:29 AM

Indeed.

On the topic, other than luring them away from your garden in the manner which has caused such ire, ate there any reliable ways to keep them out of your garden?

Londondrz

25-09-2015 08:17 AM

Make sure there is no food for them, clean up any scat as they are territorial and ensure you have a good fence.

Perryman

25-09-2015 10:05 AM

If it wasn't for the fox, forest hill would be running alive with rats, who form an important part of their diet.
Be fair - a fox will not tunnel its way up to your larder cupboard, (unless you keep chickens in there), so we have a pretty good deal really.

Plus they are gorgeous and seem to have recovered from that mange that plagued them for a few years.

appletree

25-09-2015 10:34 AM

Perhaps I am strange, but I love seeing the foxes that come into my garden. They are fascinating creatures, and the two cubs living near us have been interesting to watch grow up this summer.

As I understand it, foxes are territorial, and if one loose clan of foxes is displaced, another will move in. We have seen "fox wars" in our road where the foxes across the road have had confrontations with those that live across the road. I feel sure that if our territory were vacated by the foxes over here, those would move in. So there is no point in trying to lure foxes away with food.

A good point has been made about rats. I'd take foxes over rats any day.

The people who confronted our OP seem to object to his appearing to have moved from Hampstead (despite their not knowing the man). That bothers me more than any conflict over foxes. There is nothing wrong with moving from north to south London. I did it myself.

Mr_Numbers

25-09-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with moving from north to south London

Yes, but every time someone moves from north London to south London it lowers the average intelligence of both parts. Laugh

(Mathematics joke. Scared)

Snazy

25-09-2015 01:18 PM

I like foxes in the garden too, as well as hedgehogs. Saves me a fortune on dog food!

Only downsides to foxes for me are the messes they make of badly stored waste bags, and their little gifts they leave on their pavements. Maybe people who encourage them should be charged with the job of cleaning up after THEIR foxes on THEIR streets?

*removes tongue from cheek*

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields