SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
SE23 Magazine
baggydave

08-10-2008 10:38 PM

The once SE23 posh magazine now seems to have mutated into a less posh magazine, perhaps a sign that there is no revenue from marketing houses at present. Is is now distributed throughout Forest Hill?

And similarly is the wider distributed good private schools and nanny's mag still going or has that also been hit by the credit crunch.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisR

09-10-2008 09:18 AM

If you mean Living South it is still the same format and being delivered (October edition delivered yesterday)

Ghis

09-10-2008 09:47 AM

If you mean SE23, it has been taken over by a publishing company as the person who started it no longer had time to continue.

Jon Lloyd

09-10-2008 12:04 PM

As someone who works in publishing I can tell you that SE23 doesn't look less posh, it just looks, in technical terms, pretty dull. Why couldn't they have stuck to the old design? It was spot on - vibrant, good-quality, stylish. I'm all for redesigns but make it BETTER than the original or don't bother. I feel completely uninspired to read it since the changeover, with its horrid cheap'n'nasty clip art and tired, skinny logo. A great shame.
Rant over, as I believe some stuff's happening in the world.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

09-10-2008 12:29 PM

I'd love to be able to complain about how rubbish SE23 the magazine looks now...but that, along with all free newspapers, haven't dropped through my door for about 3 years.

The various takeaway leafletters and political squabblefests arrive in the droves of course.

Ghis

09-10-2008 01:34 PM

Jon, I really agree with you and miss the old format.

SophieBee

10-10-2008 10:35 AM

Like IWereAbsolutelyFuming, we don't get the SE23 magazine any more. We used to, but moved the grand distance of a two minute walk away from Codrington Hill to Brockley Rise and now we aren't on the distribution list I guess.

Actually, does anyone know if there are contact details so I can try to get back on the distribution list? I kind of miss it, dodgy new format or not. If anyone has these can they PM me please? Ta Smile

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tinkerbell

10-10-2008 12:47 PM

Would agree with Jon as well, that is exactly what I thought when SE23 came through the door this week. Shame, really.

bigbadwolf

02-01-2009 04:21 PM

I don't work in the publishing industry so can't really comment on it's quality but SE23 magazine works for me. It's intended age group seems to be aimed at parents (which I'm not) but I still enjoy it's content nonetheless and going on the content of this thread I think we should be more grateful of the combined efforts of Angela Burgess, Suzanne James and Iris Borgers and not to mention those that pay for our free circular, the businesses of se23 and se26 because we're all familiar with that popular saying, "don't judge a book by it's cover".

Perryman

03-01-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:
Don't judge a book just by the cover

Unless you cover just another
And blind acceptance is a sign
Of stupid fools who stand in line,
Like....

The SE23 mag has has never been delivered our way, nor any of the other free rags. Are these things targeted?

Actually we did get a sheet on knife crime just before xmas. Charming.

mrssmith

04-01-2009 12:04 AM

I live on Taymount Rise, slap bang SE23 and only got this twice or so a couple of years ago. It was good too. I didn't even get the knife crime sheet, just pizza stuff.

bigbadwolf

05-01-2009 04:56 PM

Hello se23, I've got an important announcement to make, well I think so anyway. Apart from this forum another of my interests is amateur journalism with some success.
Anyway, I've contacted the editing team at se23 magazine and they say that they are willing to give me the go ahead to right an article for the next addition concerning local matters. I thought it would be fair to ask you or have some sort of poll as to what the content should be/what direction it should follow and would appreciate your opinion on this. I don't know how much space I'll allowed but I'll let you know as soon as I do. I'll also, with Admins approval, (it's his site after all) mention the forums contribution to my piece. What do you think guys and do I have your support?

billham

05-01-2009 07:54 PM

Personally I would feel more confident if you could spell 'write' or 'edition' but maybe that's just old-fashioned Virgo me..... Smile

shzl400

05-01-2009 08:00 PM

BBW - you must "right" for the Grauniad!!!

Perryman

06-01-2009 12:33 AM

Can you write something about knife crime, bigbadwolf?
Then they might deliver a copy my way.

Jon Lloyd

06-01-2009 01:13 PM

It would be great if you could contact the various owners of all the vacant retail properties in HOP and Forest Hill and really find out why they're not filling their properties. Are they really too greedy and asking for too much rent or is there more to it that might put them in a more sympathetic light with those of us who feel they need to save these places from dereliction. Ask them how they can afford to leave their properties unfilled and when do they envisage filling them and with what. Let's find out once and for all what's keeping our areas just on the edge of ghost towns... Bit dramatic maybe but you get the picture. And don't let them fob you off with tales of credit crunch woes - most of the properties have been unused for more than a year now.
Look forward to it if you do it!

mrssmith

06-01-2009 09:43 PM

Or get Se23 to fund the land registry searches that unearth the owners! I think it's 20 quid a search, can't remember...

Bonnie Blue

07-01-2009 07:06 AM

Just a thought on the distribution of SE23 magazine
I used to use distributors for leaflet drops but they don't like hills and they don't like big flights of steps. short paths and flat roads are the preferred option becuase they can do more houses for the priice

I decided that delivering my own and cancelling the gym was a better option so I started on the lucrative area of the Brockley Conservation Area
I now have a permanent hip and back problem
Those big flights of stairs are a killer and the owners of basement and top floor flights with their own stairs never get deliveries!!

The other thing that happens is the private distributors employ someone else to do their delivery on and that person dumps them so it is a difficult situation really

Bonnie Blue

07-01-2009 07:07 AM

PS You can pretty well forget Horniman drive and Canonbie road areas Now they really are hard work

BT

07-01-2009 07:26 AM

"The other thing that happens is the private distributors employ someone else to do their delivery on and that person dumps them so it is a difficult situation really "

Too right. A few years ago I caught a couple of blokes dumping bundles of the Lewisham Council news paper in the recycle bins in Sainsburys car park. Its no wonder we never received them!

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SE23 Magazine - why samuelsen 0 2,549 07-05-2020 04:37 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  SE23 Magazine milliemop 14 14,686 04-05-2015 09:13 AM
Last Post: ringingcod