SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Article in The Guardian about Walters Way etc
Poppy9560

16-09-2015 01:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pippi

16-09-2015 01:41 PM

Yay, I love the Segal houses, and feel pretty jealous of those who live in the bigger/extended ones! They were going for a song a couple of years ago, but as people have become more design-savvy and as the type of modern buildings which were thought of by many as ugly or flimsy have become suddenly cool and desirable, I bet their value is soaring.....It was interesting to learn from the article the various economical AND attractive ways there are for re-inforcing / strengthening these types of build as time passes; when we were looking at them I was quite worried about their durability / mortgagability. Cool article.

sydenhamcentral

16-09-2015 03:49 PM

Very interesting.

There are loads of really interesting self built kit houses these days where you can build really exciting homes for not huge sums of money in comparison to buying. These use the principles of the Segal homes.

Some are for sale, or have been for sale here:

The big issue is that there are very few building plots any more now that councils don't allow gardens to be built on (who uses a 140 foot garden in London?)

I enquired recently about planning for building your own home and the council no longer give out advice, their documents are incredibly un-user friendly.

If building is left to developers who sell tiny flats for 350k plus a pop, then property prices will keep going up no matter how many we build. Surely self building good, attractive, sustainable homes is something councils should be encouraging?

I'd rather a plot have 30 self developers on it than one developer. Can we encourage co-operative self building?

lacb

16-09-2015 06:23 PM

I agree. One was linked to in the article, and are doing something like that, but these links might help (from a site run by the author):
http://www.waltersegal.org/links.html

John Daker

17-09-2015 12:46 PM

I remember him giving a 'Theory into Practice' lecture when I was at college and being impressed both with the man and his ideas (more so than some of those who gave lectures and then went on to become household names!).
The developments have a good sense of place about them (much helped by their enthusiastic owners) and are well worth a visit this weekend.

Tim Lund

17-09-2015 08:38 PM

sydenhamcentral wrote:
There are loads of really interesting self built kit houses these days where you can build really exciting homes for not huge sums of money in comparison to buying.

This may also be of interest

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11954

This post was last modified: 17-09-2015 08:38 PM by Tim Lund.

Pippi

18-09-2015 07:57 AM

Rofl

sydenhamcentral

18-09-2015 09:15 AM

A little bird told me about that on Twitter, Tim.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  article in the guardian - Do you feel rich daveherne 18 15,597 25-09-2012 10:27 AM
Last Post: IWereAbsolutelyFuming