SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next > Last »
Anti Social Behaviour in FH & HO
spud

17-09-2015 05:07 PM

Good luck Snazy. I believe the oral exam is particularly challenging.

I'll be working on my glottal stops.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Azira

18-09-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:
My friends are thinking of moving into the area but have heard worrying reports of an influx of sanctimonious leftwing types, who, through living in a Guardian-perpetuated bubble, believe they inhabit the moral high ground on all social issues. They believe that everyone is a precious snowflake, and should be defended, even if their sole contribution to society is anti-social behaviour and welfare dependency. They believe the interests of white, middle class, educated people are usually driven by post-colonial selfishness and therefore everyone who is not white, middle-class or educated should probably take precedence.

Interesting. So Guardianistas can't be white, middle-class and educated then? Or are they so self-loathing that they simultaneously believe that their own views are driven by post-colonial selfishness?

crassbelch
Banned Troll

18-09-2015 12:10 PM

[Post removed due to abuse -admin]

Londondrz

18-09-2015 12:18 PM

I should point out that a lot of these post are very tongue in cheek. Maybe we should have a little "tongue in cheek" emoticon to use with them.

Cool

spud

18-09-2015 12:40 PM

Wait a minute...I'm getting lost...let me just take some notes...

Self loathing: bad
Barely concealed loathing for perceived social inferiors: good

OK. Carry on.

Pico
No longer registered

18-09-2015 12:55 PM

I recommend Owen Jone's book 'Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class' to anyone who thinks it's ok to refer to another human being as a chav.

No Longer Registered

18-09-2015 01:37 PM

In the interests of balance let's not forget the way in which some on the left use the word "Tory" in an aggressively pejorative manner.

Also criticising people for being called Tarquin or whatever is no different from using the ch** word. You are making a judgement about someone without actually knowing them.

Londondrz

18-09-2015 02:58 PM

You read a book and it said chav was bad so that's it?

"A young lower-class person typified by brash and loutish behavior". Oxford English dictionary.

So because they are "lower class" loutish behavior should be allowed but we cant give them a name.

I can understand people getting upset by the use of "p***y" or similiar but chav grew out of late 80's and early 90's culture as used by the likes of Harry Enfieled and Ben Elton. As demonstrated by the use of Burberry check and caps. Sloanes also took a bashing at the same time but no one goes around saying "WTF", you cant say Sloane.

Good Lord, people are so easily upset by what they see as an implied slight. We will be tutting at the word loutish soon.

Azira

18-09-2015 04:27 PM

I believe its the reference to the class that some people object to. We're all one big happy family doncherknow.

Azira

18-09-2015 04:33 PM

Quote:
Wait a minute...I'm getting lost...let me just take some notes...

Self loathing: bad
Barely concealed loathing for perceived social inferiors: good

OK. Carry on.

I can clarify that for you:

Things that make me annoyed or that involve people outside my political/social/moral tribe: Bad
Things I like or that involve people inside my political/social/moral tribe: Good.

Simples

Londondrz

18-09-2015 04:33 PM

Sorry for the rant but apologists get right up my nose (the irony is not lost to me right now). "You cant say chav as it offends someone/something and if you continue to say it then I shall hold my breath and stamp my feet very very hard".

The word in ********* was p*****y for anyone wondering.

sativadiva

18-09-2015 11:22 PM

Well, I misread, Social Services are still intent on dragging through mud the names of people who tried to get help to extricate their own teen from the people who make them think running drugs will make them money. Makes you wonder why.

sativadiva

18-09-2015 11:27 PM

And, in case you are wondering, they found ZERO class A's in my hair.... But they wont test my teen and Im not allowed to test her?

sativadiva

18-09-2015 11:30 PM

Yet they want to give you classes on how to understand your teen? When they are being made to think they can make money running "dark and light " about???

sativadiva

18-09-2015 11:34 PM

And now my names getting dragged through mud by social services because I pointed out their flaws? How many of you have talked rubbish about a certain person because you heard something from someone? You are all snobs.

OakR

19-09-2015 12:22 AM

Well this is a weird thread....I wonder what the OP thinks - still want to move here? Smile

Honor Oak which I think is slightly different to Forest Hill though of course very closely linked and with many shared amenities etc.

Safety wise it feels extremely safe, and on the whole I believe it is, certainly compared to many other areas of London.

Green space abounds.

Good primary schools.

Great transport into town. Not too far to drive to the coast.

Horniman museum, Forest Hill pools, some decent pubs (though not sure you move here for the nightlife).

It's easy to get along with most people as long as you show them a basic level of respect.

For me it's a great place to live and bring up a family if that is also something on your agenda now or in the future. I moved here 10 years ago FYI from supposedly nicer West London where I was born and bred.

Shiro

19-09-2015 02:15 AM

Gabbi, FH and HOP is no different to most other areas of Greater London but regardless, you'll find very little wrong here. As for the chavs comment, it's 2015! Most have traded in their tracksuits for skinny jeans and bucket hats and spend more time around Shoreditch High Street than here (well I have anyway).

Tinkerbell

19-09-2015 11:13 AM

Had to google bucket hat (I am soo not with it Cool ), but otherwise agree. FH and HOP are lovely areas to live in. They may have their share of shady reactionaristos but hey, so does the Royal Borough of KFC.

Treat others as you'd like to be treated has worked fine for me so far and, getting back to the point, most people I know very much enjoy living in the area.

This post was last modified: 19-09-2015 11:13 AM by Tinkerbell.

Anotherjohn

19-09-2015 12:08 PM

Re the secondary part of this thread - this has been mildly entertaining to watch but, for Pete's sake, why would someone who's serious about settling somewhere not spend a fair amount of time walking around the place, getting a feel for the area and the amenities and actually talking to people instead of going about it in this way?

Or is it just me, being behind the times?

appletree

19-09-2015 02:58 PM

Just because someone asks this question on a message board doesn't mean she hasn't been to the area and looked around for herself. I read this board for a while before moving to FH, just to see what people said about it, what the problems were, etc. It's a lot easier to get some kind of idea what a broader (though not necessarily representative) spectrum of people think about their area than just walking around.

I have no idea what the other part of the thread is about. Think I must have missed something somewhere.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Capitol - anti-social behaviour daveyyates 10 11,284 11-11-2015 12:52 PM
Last Post: Newbie
  Police Anti-Social Behaviour Drop-In Surgery @ FH Library admin 0 3,202 15-03-2014 10:27 AM
Last Post: admin
  Anti-social behaviour in Trilby Road area sillytilly 82 78,523 10-10-2012 09:53 PM
Last Post: Tomcat
  anti social behaviour Nods Way Dylan 0 3,624 02-07-2011 01:22 PM
Last Post: Dylan