SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Anti Social Behaviour in FH & HO
gabbi

14-09-2015 08:09 AM

Hi there,

I'll be moving to Forest Hill/Honor Oak area (haven't got exact details of where yet). But I was wondering what the latest trend is regards to crime, especially regarding chav's and ASB? Most of the posts I see online date back to 2011 and things have probably changed?

Is it still a nice quiet place to live? Where you can take your dog for a walk in the evening without being harassed?

Thanks you!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sandy

14-09-2015 08:19 AM

I have lived in HOP for almost 30 years and have not been personally a victim of crime or serious ASB. While I think it is reasonable to ask such questions about an unknown area, I do wish comments could avoid the use of offensive language.

gabbi

14-09-2015 08:29 AM

Apologies, what word did I use to cause offence? Was not my intention.

Jane2

14-09-2015 08:48 AM

The word chav I think sandy is referring to, can be a bit offensive. I was a bit surprised to read it in your post.

I have walked around the area in the evening and not had any trouble.

gabbi

14-09-2015 08:50 AM

Apologies, I will edit the post!

Red67

14-09-2015 09:35 AM

I suggest that you come and have a walk round and spend some time here looking round for yourself rather than using an internet forum. You'll be better able to judge the chav quota (WTF??!!) and dog walking harassment no-go areas (are you being serious??) if you have a look in person!

localbigwig

14-09-2015 10:16 AM

Hi Gabbi

I have lived here in Forest Hill for many years and consider it to be one of London’s better areas. I have seen very little crime or ASB.

There are plenty of nice areas to walk dogs, but like any area these days you have to be sensible and be aware of your surroundings. Horniman park is very nice and also very safe as it is well lit, well staffed and they have cameras: you can let you dog off the lead
on the lower slope of the park.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

14-09-2015 01:53 PM

[Post removed due to abuse -admin]

This post was last modified: 14-09-2015 01:58 PM by crassbelch.

Pippi

14-09-2015 03:10 PM

Been living in HOP for 2 and a half years now and consider it, on the whole, a fairly sedate and pleasant place. However, I am curious as to what people think about the activity at the Brockley View entrance to Blythe Hill Fields. All hours of the day and night, there is usually at least one car parked thereabouts, often with the engine running, with a lone young-ish man at the wheel, window rolled down, with no obvious sign of an intention to actually drive anywhere.
Now call me paranoid, and these fellows might be perfectly law-abiding citizens who just enjoy sitting around in their car for hours on end and what harm etc.....but I am almost 99.999999999% there is some sort of narcotics dealing going on in this area. It's been happening ever since I moved into the area, and seems to be a fairly entrenched business.
What amazes me is that we have some of the most beautiful roads/housing stock in SE23 around here, and so, I'm presuming (yes yes, a broad assumption I know), a lot of fairly comfortable middle class types.....which begs the question: Why is nobody attempting to put a stop to this??? I'm not particularly anti-drugs myself, and have grown up and lived in far grittier areas, but there are a lots of young families with little kids in the area, so I'm surprised more people haven't complained, and that it just carries on.
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has witnessed this activity on Brockley View, whether they have acted on their observations in some way (ie; reported it to the police, talked to neighbours about it, or even purchased some of the product -LOL, JOKE!!Rofl Don't admit anything on here! )
And if so, what are your theories as to why it's been allowed to continue so flagrantly all this time?

This post was last modified: 14-09-2015 03:11 PM by Pippi.

robbrockley

14-09-2015 03:29 PM

Hi Gabbi the worse thing about the area is the number of dogs and dog owners who do not pick up after their dogs - if you are likely to be one of those, please consider other areas to live! Bad on pavements in general and in parks specifically. Also large numbers of cats who of course think they can go where they like and do what they want - including digging on and depositing all over gardens. Disgusting in my view.

The Brockley View drug issue is known - and no, nothing ever seems to happen about it. A resident of the street appears to be a dealer and I think those loitering in cars are waiting to be told it is safe to call. Lots of young(er) people arrive at a certain house and 2 minutes later are walking away again. Pretty obvious. But no trouble in the street. Or at least not often.

appletree

14-09-2015 05:55 PM

Has anyone ever reported this resident to the police?

Londondrz

14-09-2015 06:42 PM

Gabbi, FH does have some issues, some theft and some anti social behaviour but nothing mind blowing. I believe the met police do a crime map which outlines what crimes have been committed and where.

Overall it is a very pleasant place to be.

And excuse the chav protesters, their Guardians must have been delivered late Laugh

Pippi

15-09-2015 08:05 AM

Thanks robbrockley, that does make sense, and yes, pretty obvious now I think about it Rolleyes
I know the house you mean, and I don't think the only thing being dealt there is drugs.....All said, at the house itself, they are actually very quiet and discreet (it's the punters who are so obvious!) Which is probably the main reason I haven't been particularly motivated to report them. Unlike the majority of people in the area, I don't have kids though! If I did I might feel differently, I don't know......

gabbi

15-09-2015 08:14 AM

Thanks! I agree dog owners must pick up!! Thanks for the response.

Londondrz

15-09-2015 09:04 AM

Pippi interested to know why a lack of kids stops you reporting drug dealing? I don t have a motorcycle but called the police when my neighbours bike was being stolen, I even went out and got attacked whilst stopping the theft .

Let's actually try and have a sense of community instead of typing about it on here.

If you see something wrong, call 101. If you see a crime taking place call 999.

gabbi

15-09-2015 09:13 AM

Thanks for your response! :-D

Tinkerbell

15-09-2015 10:38 AM

I often walk past the, as you describe them "few shady-looking characters that hang around all day on the council estate by HOP station" and have never had a problem. On the contrary, one of the older chaps who sits on the wall always says hello in the morning as I walk past and is very friendly, I actually feel safer when they sit there than when they don't. Also, yes some of those flats in the building may be council owned and the building itself isn't pretty to look at (though improvement works seem to be ongoing), but it's not really an estate as such.

sativadiva

15-09-2015 10:56 AM

The kid who did the stabbing in Brockley was a regular at "that" house. I know as I tried to tell local services about the way teens were being drawn into dealing and running for the "Generals". As you can tell from my username, Im not completely anti drugs, but when you get teens with packets of crack and heroin thats a different matter. But I do believe its being taken seriously now. Stable door and horse comes to mind. Smh.

Pippi

15-09-2015 11:01 AM

Londondrz, without going into too much of my own personal history and /or habits.......If I were to report people selling drugs who have otherwise not directly caused me any massive offense / discomfort / violence and so on, I would not only feel nimbyish but *extremely* hypocritical!

If, on the other hand, this relatively low-key activity escalated into a more aggressive situation, creating a general atmosphere of fear and actual impending danger to myself or the community at large, I'd have no problem feeling it was time to do something about it.

Snazy

15-09-2015 11:46 AM

Nice to see a few grounded responses amongst the huge and warm welcome you have received.
I have sent you a PM re the area, as some of the language in it might offend some.

Good to see Londondrz has a grip on the situation already. Thumbup

Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Capitol - anti-social behaviour daveyyates 10 11,092 11-11-2015 11:52 AM
Last Post: Newbie
  Police Anti-Social Behaviour Drop-In Surgery @ FH Library admin 0 3,141 15-03-2014 09:27 AM
Last Post: admin
  Anti-social behaviour in Trilby Road area sillytilly 82 77,410 10-10-2012 08:53 PM
Last Post: Tomcat
  anti social behaviour Nods Way Dylan 0 3,575 02-07-2011 12:22 PM
Last Post: Dylan