SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Swimming locally
Ghis

06-11-2007 07:16 PM

At the moment where would you say is the best place to go swimming locally? I have had a look at the Dulwich college sport centre and was wondering also about the Dulwich Leisure Centre in East Dulwich Road. I want line swimming where you can do some serious swimming/training and somewhere easy to get to from HOP. Any suggestions?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

06-11-2007 08:32 PM

Beckenham Spa - admittedly a drive away, but very nice and clean. Big pool usually has 3 lanes roped off for up & down swimming only, and supposedly split slow, medium & fast - so speedy types don't have to contend with old lady breaststrokers like me!

PVP

07-11-2007 10:54 AM

Crystal Palace - lots of lanes, 50 m pool, lots of fit people to get you in the mood.

bigjulie

07-11-2007 11:05 AM

the 50m pool at Crystal Palace is now closed for refurbishment...

PVP

07-11-2007 06:41 PM

Is it? eeks, sorry about that. I've been in cycling mode for the last few months so not been.

seeformiles

30-11-2007 03:18 AM

Try the Arches in Greenwich. Not that easy to get to from HOP unless you have a car but I put up with the journey without one 'cos it's worth it. Nice pool - always at least 3 lanes free for adults at most times of the day plus they have a separate leisure pool for families. It's not sleek or modern but is kept reasonably clean and provides a much pleasanter swimming experience than E Dulwich in my opinion.
At weekends it's nice to follow a swim with a walk around Greenwich Park which is just a couple of minutes away.

roz

30-11-2007 09:32 AM

We used to go to JAGS Sports Centre until we realised that we did not make the most of our gym membership. Its on the P4 bus route, next to North Dulwich station. I think its cheaper than Dulwich College. There was a problem with the drains ie smells but I think its better now. I believe ST Dunstans in Catford also operate the same arrangement. We go to Beckenham Spa these days as its a fab clean pool.

PackOfDusters

30-11-2007 02:48 PM

I actually tend to use the one at Brixton Rec. The changing facilites are not that great (and they're being refurbed at the moment, so even more cramped than usual), but it's on the P4 bus route and the pool itself is nice. Although it's not the cleanest of pools I found it better than the pool at East Dulwich. I recommend it if you want to do some serious lane swimming as it doesn't get that busy. It costs roughly ?3 a swim.

Ghis

30-11-2007 05:33 PM

Thanks all. I see have more options to investigate.

seeformiles

30-11-2007 06:21 PM

Likewise, Greenwich is usually fairly quiet I find, even at weekends.

fany9560

30-11-2007 07:34 PM

roz wrote:
We used to go to JAGS Sports Centre until we realised that we did not make the most of our gym membership. Its on the P4 bus route, next to North Dulwich station. I think its cheaper than Dulwich College. There was a problem with the drains ie smells but I think its better now. I believe ST Dunstans in Catford also operate the same arrangement. We go to Beckenham Spa these days as its a fab clean pool.

does anyone know if the St Dunstans arrangement is still going? I used to go there for about a year and it was very cheap and usually empty but I thought they had stopped letting the public in

seeformiles

30-11-2007 07:54 PM

Had no idea St Dunstans were offering this. Hope they still are!

baggydave

02-12-2007 11:57 PM

With the way the storm drains haven't coped in the torrents of biblical proportion (whoops, mentioned religion then) and the continued leaks onto Honor Oak Road, plenty of opportunity for outdoor swimming at the moment.

Baggy Dave, never frightened to push back the limits

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields