SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Gym at Forest Hill Pool
mrwandle

22-07-2015 11:54 AM

Hi - can anyone give me advice about the best times to use the gym? Is it rammed straight after work or best avoided? Thanks.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Andrew1976

26-07-2015 10:38 AM

No replies to this...just wondering if anyone had any views on whether the FHP was better or worse than Energie? My partner and I are thinking about joining and like the idea of FHP because of the swim facilities...what do others think?
Thank you!
Andrew.

Herbert

26-07-2015 12:01 PM

I've been with Energie for years and really like it. My wife was with FHP, but moved to Energie, she thought it was too busy and not very clean.

Benderish

26-07-2015 05:52 PM

When I moved to FH, I joined at the Pools however soon realised that it was mainly full of machines, treadmills and bikes. Not what I was after at all.

I then joined Energie and they have a full weights room downstairs with cardio and machines upstairs. It can get quite busy down there as they are restricted for space but for me, it's way better. It all depends on what you are after. If you just want cardio and light weights, then the Pools is for you, if you want a proper gym that has the range of free weights, then Energie is the way to go.

P1971

26-07-2015 06:43 PM

I don't use any gym myself running solo late at night is my thing, but my 18 year old daughter is a bit of a fanatic and she uses Energie.

I guess it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Sorry I'm going to confuse you even more now by adding Twist Studios at 95a (side entrance) Dartmouth Road.

nottinghillbilly

28-07-2015 08:38 PM

Quote:
soon realised that it was mainly full of machines, treadmills and bikes

How long did that take, a few hours or a couple of seconds!!

What is a proper gym? I use FHP gym and it does for me. There are machines, yes, but there are free weights and buso balls etc. No they aren't the biggest weights (in fact they must be quite heavy because people manage to take them out of the racks but then don't have the energy to put them back again). It is a general gym that will appeal to the widest range of customers. I find the people there polite and will happily let you in to do some chin-ups between their sets.

I have been to many a boxing gym with far less equipment and seen people produce good results- OK the boxing, pads and bags helped. So you can get results there.

I don't see much casual coaching by the staff. They do do good one to one sessions but there are people with pretty awful techniques and these aren't picked up. A high percentage of people are still doing 3x10 reps as if the past 30 years of training advances had never happened. That will probably be partially down to the trainees themselves but this is where the staff could also step in. (How dull are some people's routines?)

There are quite a few different types of cardio machines, however again I see quite a bit of get on and go at one pace for a while and then stop. zzzzzzzzz, there are easy gains to be made by introducing some variation least of all keeping you entertained. Also there are great hills and parks around here to run in and on. Give them a go.

Sorry if this sounds like an attempt at a training lesson!!

This post was last modified: 28-07-2015 08:38 PM by nottinghillbilly.

Andrew1976

29-07-2015 05:52 AM

Thanks to all for guidance, thoughts and help. I've decided to go with FHP for a month to see how it goes. It's a wee bit more expensive but there is inclusive access to the pool and no subscription for 12months.
Thank you again,
Andrew.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  noise from swimming pool forest hill maxxonline2001 5 4,615 25-08-2021 08:25 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Vending machine - Forest Hill swimming pool crazyhorse 8 10,020 14-03-2014 03:43 PM
Last Post: AnnieandAlex
  Pool Poll: Which pool option do you prefer? michael 20 24,989 25-02-2009 02:05 PM
Last Post: brian
  Forest Hill Pool ruthg41 153 164,540 23-03-2008 09:53 AM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral