SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
The Chandos
squashst

19-07-2015 08:10 AM

I saw this on Brockley Central......

"There is a new team at The Chandos (56 Brockley Rise) and it's no longer that pub you don't want to go in.

Since taking over ten weeks ago Peter and Anna have turned it into a friendly, welcoming boozer with live music every Saturday. Karaoke and Djs on Fridays.

There's loads of TVs to watch all the different sports a pool table a great selection of beers and real ales. They even have a wine list now!

Last weekend they raised £1600 for charity a total is expected by the end of this week of £2500. Who would have thought it"

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robbrockley

19-07-2015 11:30 AM

loads of TVs.....pool tables.....sport....yuk. No thanks.

PVP

20-07-2015 08:17 AM

Went past on Friday night, it was busy which is good to see. I know some people will turn their noses up at sports, pool tables etc. but the real ale is a welcome addition.

ringingcod

20-07-2015 10:42 AM

It's a bit noisy

20-07-2015 02:25 PM

I welcome pubs that show sport. One of the things that annoys me most about the pubs in Forest Hill and East Dulwich are that there are too many boring gastropubs with no where to watch the footy.

Dont get me wrong I like gastropubs too but sometimes I just want somewhere to watch live sport! So good news.

ForestHillier

20-07-2015 03:09 PM

Well get sky or something and watch it at home

20-07-2015 05:03 PM

Thats hilarious - so everyone who likes watching sport at the pub should go at spend £150 per month on Sky/BT so you can have your glass of wine in peace and quiet.

Did you know you could also buy a bottle of wine, sit at home and have all the silence you want? If you're lucky you might get a cold bottle, you will have to open it yourself, but its a lot cheaper and you dont have to speak to anyone either. You can leave the people who like socializing and watching sports with their friends to go to the pub and worry about all the noise from your living room.

timbo

20-07-2015 05:09 PM

That’s a bit harsh Foresthillier. I too think its good to have a variety of pubs in the area and this should include somewhere to watch Sky Sports or play pool/darts. A Forest Hill full of gastropubs would become a clone of other ‘gentrified’ areas of London which I think would be a tragic shame and which is also why I hope we don’t lose the Hob.
To suggest that somebody should get Sky at home because its not the sort of place you would choose to go is ridiculous and, frankly, plain rude.

Pippi

21-07-2015 10:35 AM

Hmmm, much as pubs like the Chandos and the Bird in Hand may not be my sort of place, I think that wishing that *everywhere* in F.H. were as nice and middle-class as, say, the new Perryvale, is a bit......cringe-y?
As someone who's been pretty anti-Chandos on this forum before, I'm not saying I'm above thinking 'that way' myself. But I get the impression that a lot of people on this forum might be similar to me, working class kids who were lucky enough to enjoy further education under the good old grants days (or even loans days), lucky enough to get on the property ladder when it wasn't an almost impossible dream for ordinary people on average incomes, and lucky enough to move into this area when it wasn't the rampantly gentrifying yummy-mummy stronghold it's fast becoming.
Sometimes I think, whether we do fit the description above or not, we need a bit of a check to remind ourselves that London is not the sole preserve of whatever sort of person it is we class *ourselves* to be.
Something for everyone is surely a good thing?

ForestHillier

21-07-2015 11:01 AM

It was meant has a joke/wind up

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields