SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (9): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
Life in SE23 - Shops
michael

23-07-2015 02:25 PM

I think it is clear from the response from Trading Standards that Pauline had a legitimate concern. It is a fairly simple matter to rectify regarding the definition of 'homemade' and I don't think that we need to blow this out of proportion.

They say all publicity is good publicity and this thread has received 2,230 views, with many positive comments about the Italian Deli and their ice cream from customers.

I hope that the business owners can move on from this issue, and that we, as residents and shoppers, can continue to support all local businesses.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

23-07-2015 02:32 PM

It may also be clear from the response of the FSA that they don't understand the complexities of making gelato and made an assumption on the powdered product because they were looking specifically for that infraction. We don't know. I agree that this thread will probably do the Italian Deli more good than harm, but I do think it's worth knowing if the ruling is correct.

Of course Pauline's concerns were legitimate. But as I said above, making them public here might not have been the best course of action. While it initially looks like the FSA ruling supports her, it may be no more than a technicality. Why, for example, does the deli have the powder tins on prominent display if they are doing something underhand? The accusation Pauline made here is that the deli deliberately falsely advertised in order to undercut her business. That's a serious accusation, and goes beyond the technical issues of 'handmade'. It's a personal attack on the character of someone who is now a local trader. That, surely, needs to be cleared up once and for all?

This post was last modified: 23-07-2015 02:34 PM by rshdunlop.

appletree

23-07-2015 03:13 PM

I agree with the last comment. The way this has been done has been decidedly distasteful. Pauline is clearly annoyed that someone else has moved into her patch and is doing what she can to scupper their business. That's been evident from her earlier comments about this business and also from the signage on her own shop, where she gives the impression her ice cream (not theirs) is the real thing, and handmade (but not in her shop, something she doesn't mention).

I have no horse in this race as I am merely a resident of the area, not a trader, but I like the idea that new businesses are moving into this area and am a bit disgusted by attempts to undermine them.

If there is a problem I hope it will be sorted out, but from what I've heard so far, it doesn't sound like something underhand is going on.

This post was last modified: 23-07-2015 03:14 PM by appletree.

CrustyRack

23-07-2015 05:46 PM

The woman who runs Sugar mountain seems hell bent on destroying the Deli business. On the Forest Hill facebook page she publicly attacks him and makes personal and catty remarks. People have posted on there how they will not visit her shop as she continues to play the victim that someone had the temerity to open and shop and sell similar items to her. Move on dear, it happens. Did Sainsburys ask you not to sell sweets when you opened? Instead of attacking others, why not make your business so attractive that people will want to shop with you. All the while you try to whip up bad feeling against a fellow trader, it is doing your business harm.

I cannot be bothered to give my custom to someone who is so bitter.

Il Mirtos ice cream is not only gorgeous, another reason I buy it, is that it is made on the premises. The ice cream sold in Sugar Mountain is mass produced in a factory just outside Ipswich in Suffolk. Ice cream can often deteriorate travelling such distances...

PollyEster63

23-07-2015 07:23 PM

Do the many hairdressers and estate agents have this much beef between them, i wonder

rshdunlop

23-07-2015 08:07 PM

I'll think you'll find most of the beef is between the butchers.

I'll get my coat.

hoona

23-07-2015 08:08 PM

Also accusing them of egging your windows both on here and social media is legally a bit dodgy, let alone unfair. Be careful Pauline, I like your shop but this is no way to win customers or local support. I'd delete your social media posts too as the whole thing is starting to sound like a hate campaign... maybe keep it between you and Il Mirto from now on.

P1971

23-07-2015 10:43 PM

I didn't want to post on this thread again but feel I have no choice!

I have not personally accused anyone of egging me "see my previous posts"

I did report that the Ice Cream was not homemade and misleading to customers when I reported this to FSA "again see previous posts" I done this after customers were misguided.

I have never advertised my ice cream as homemade or handmade as it would be misleading as I don't make it on the premises, but Marine Ices do elsewhere. I have a sign outside my shop which states I sell ice cream by Marine Ices. This is also the reason why I am one of only 17 ice cream parlours in london listed in the Time Out Eating and Drinking Guide, and one of only 2 in SE London.

AND Crustyrack I am in no way playing the victim, I am big enough and ugly enough to look after myself, and if you are going to talk about posts elsewhere make sure you add all comments not just the ones against me, because if I'm right in thinking overall on that facebook group page there is at least if not more people that prefer my ice cream. And dear are you not aware that there is freezer delivery vans, after all it is 2015!

Last but not least why don't you all ask to see the letter Il Mirto got sent on 26th June, I'm happy to show my correspondence. if they have nothing to hide they should show this too.

I tried to do the right thing because I believe everyone should know the truth about what they are buying and to make their own decisions. it backfired a bit on me, but I still stick by my word.

I am by no means bitter and will always :-)

CrustyRack

23-07-2015 10:58 PM

Before you start slinging mud, you really ought to check your own house in order. Selling the ice cream at Sugar Mountain as 'homemade' is blatant disregard of the trades description act 1968. Marine Ices are mass produced by automated machinery in a factory just outside Ipswich.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

P1971

23-07-2015 11:25 PM

YES from Marine Ices which are quite probably the best in London, give it a break Crusty Crack, and yes I did say that think you need a life!

P1971

23-07-2015 11:29 PM

I have just said I never advertise it as homemade/handmade take a look!

equi

24-07-2015 12:38 AM

Woah, chill your beans!

As an impartial observer, my sense is that much has been said in the heat of the moment.

This much I know:

1. I've had ice cream from both establishments - they're both delicious.

2. I doubt there's much to choose between the manufacturing methods between the two outlets. I know that both products are of high quality. So, let's not get too sucked into the technical detail. This is the Dartmouth Road ice cream market - not the cola wars. As a consumer I don't feel misguided by either party.

3. I want to support local trade and see it thrive. We have a growing number of strong, independent traders which as a community we need to support. So, let's not knock anyone down or judge for what are, surely, minor indiscretions. It's tough out there.

As for the eggs, amongst the most bizzare incidents I've encountered on the internet.... and is the stuff of legend. Let's leave it there, as we'll never find the truth.

@rshdunlop. Nice touch.

This post was last modified: 24-07-2015 12:43 AM by equi.

P1971

24-07-2015 01:21 AM

As a trader that speaks my mind I get grilled every time. Shall I never speak up and stay in the background or shall I be me and say it how it is?

For me it might hurt my business, but certainly didn't today as I was too busy to look at this today.

I just think honesty is the best policy always no matter what

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right guess the customers will decide :-)

Anotherjohn

24-07-2015 08:17 AM

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right guess the customers will decide :-)

Then let them decide purely on the basis of what they see, feel and taste for themselves on the level playing field that is Dartmouth Road.

Relax and enjoy ice cream
(and gifts & cards and haberdashery and food & drink and big bras and picture framing and clothing and childrens stuff and bikes, ski wear & skateboards and hair & nails services and larking in the parks and going to the museum and all sorts of other nice things)
in Forest Hill.

kelly

24-07-2015 08:28 AM

Good morning John ,totally agree with you,let the good people of forest hill decide

CrustyRack

24-07-2015 08:51 AM

Good grief! 'Get a life' ! What a way to speak to an ex customer! I certainly won't be using your business again. Yes, let the people decide; on the quality of your goods and your attitude.

Mr_Numbers

24-07-2015 09:04 AM

Quote:
I have not personally accused anyone of egging me "see my previous posts"

P1971, please read the PM I sent you yesterday.

equi

24-07-2015 09:08 AM

P1971 run your business how ever you see best.

Whilst 'honesty is the best policy' and 'speaking our minds' are noble traits that I am sure most of us ascribe to, we all need to be accountable for our actions as well. A racist is offensive by the fact they do unfortunately speak their minds. Their honesty does not excuse their behaviour.

In my line of work, I respect some of my competition. I dislike a few of them as well - and some of the individuals in those organisations I detest. They are sharks - dishonest, regularly delivering a poor service.

What ever I think about my competitors I don't share these thoughts with my clients or prospects. We win business by what we can deliver not by what I may or may not feel about my competition. This is because customers choose to buy from whoever they feel offers the best service not by whose is the least worst. In short, my advice is to focus on how good you are, not what you think honestly or otherwise about your competition.

This post was last modified: 24-07-2015 09:15 AM by equi.

rshdunlop

24-07-2015 09:55 AM

One teeny tiny last technical point: Pauline, I think you missed the point CrustyRack was making re homemade. Nowhere do Marine Ices claim to be 'homemade'. Traditional and natural, yes, but they don't refer to themselves as homemade. This suggests to me that they can't make this claim, for whatever reason. So you saying 'homemade by Marine Ices' is probably still (unintentionally) misleading. Perhaps you should check with them?

mr-whippy

24-07-2015 01:05 PM

Pages (9): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SE23/SE26.life are no more StuartG 45 23,809 29-05-2022 08:59 PM
Last Post: jgdoherty
  Life in SE23 - Our community Forest Hill library partnership bid P1971 12 12,602 22-05-2016 11:50 PM
Last Post: P1971
  Life in SE23 - Slow Worms in Forest Hill Devonish Forester 9 9,708 15-05-2016 10:04 PM
Last Post: bkkmei
  Life in SE23 - Dacres Wood Open Day – help us get to know our trees! dacreswood 0 3,397 28-04-2016 10:47 AM
Last Post: dacreswood
  Many local independant shops in SE23 wil be open on Mon 30th and Tues 31st New Year's P1971 0 3,281 28-12-2013 11:53 PM
Last Post: P1971