SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Shouting, intimidating man outside Paddy Power
ForestHillier

17-07-2015 12:25 PM

Please do take good care Melissa and all fellow SE23/Foresthilliers

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

17-07-2015 03:43 PM

If they follow you and intimidate you then dial 999.

Snazy

17-07-2015 04:13 PM

And if possible, duck into a shop or other public place for safe refuge and help from anyone willing to help convince the person to leave.

In short, to anyone.. Don't confront, put distance between you, call for help. Easier said than done at times, but try and stay calm. And of course avoid their locality where possible.

Sad that it comes to that, and hopefully the right solution can be found for this individual soon.

rshdunlop

17-07-2015 04:54 PM

He was in the pools last week - not the pool itself, obvs, but walking through the cafe and seating area. He walked through several times, shouting, but he seemed to be talking to himself. Everyone just ignored him and he moved on after 5-10 minutes. He didn't seem to be aggressive and largely ignored all the people sitting around, although the shouting was disconcerting.

P1971

17-07-2015 10:02 PM

I've tried to talk to him this week and asked him to stop yelling and scaring kids and locals, so has Doug from Dapper. He has said to us he will, but he dosn't. He does need serious help!

Melissa

17-07-2015 10:45 PM

Thanks for suggestions everyone, though I doubt calling the police will have any result. I've noticed that they try to catch you when there is no one else around. I think the important thing is not to look scared. On one occasion I said 'Please stop this' and walked on - he gave up after a bit.

Londondrz

18-07-2015 07:57 AM

If you are anywhere near the Bird in Hand when this happens then run in and shout for help. I am sure the regulars will make sure it never happens again.

Sherwood

18-07-2015 10:34 AM

Melissa,

I think the best thing to do is to walk on and ignore him.

Dartmouth Road

19-07-2015 10:22 AM

Melissa wrote:
Thanks for suggestions everyone, though I doubt calling the police will have any result. I've noticed that they try to catch you when there is no one else around. I think the important thing is not to look scared. On one occasion I said 'Please stop this' and walked on - he gave up after a bit.

Hi Melissa,

The police have advised me to dial 999 if I see this man or anyone else acting in a threatening way - and from what you've described this certainly sounds threatening. If you call 999 the police will be there within 12 minutes to deal with them. I understand it's a hassle you shouldn't have to deal with, but if the police attend we can get this behaviour stamped out.

On the subject of betting shops not being accountable, of course they're not responsible for an individual's mental health issues, but we all know that they attract many others who cause problems in Forest Hill. Paddy Power is a particular problem because it's set back from the road with public benches outside for the street drinkers to hang around at, going in for a bet and then back out for a drink on the street. I've seen Paddy Power staff outside chatting and laughing with the drinkers/customers, so they clearly don't care that they're the source of many of the problems.

Does anyone know if Paddy Power is part of the local traders' association?

P1971

19-07-2015 12:34 PM

Hi Dartmouth Road

Paddy Power are not involved with Forest Hill Traders Association. If you would like us who are involved to discuss anything at our next meeting please pm me.

roz

21-07-2015 06:46 AM

Difficult to separate this apparent ' increase' from the economic and social care situation and benefits cuts that apparently most of the country supported and Harriet Harman wont challenge.

This is what happens when people have literally nowhere to go in their lives. They become increasingly visible in this manner.

Sherwood

21-07-2015 08:15 AM

From what I have been told street drinkers tend to congregate together. They come from great distances to do this. The only solution seems to be a no-drinking zone, which might also catch out pavement cafes unless it is carefully worded.

Jane2

21-07-2015 08:03 PM

It doesn't help that the area outside Paddy Power always looks so scruffy, there was a dirty mattress dumped there when I walked past today. With that and the overflowing bins and the peeling hoarding, an area that should be an inviting social space just looks a tip.

Dartmouth Road

25-07-2015 02:56 PM

Jane2 wrote:
It doesn't help that the area outside Paddy Power always looks so scruffy, there was a dirty mattress dumped there when I walked past today. With that and the overflowing bins and the peeling hoarding, an area that should be an inviting social space just looks a tip.

Unfortunately this is a bit of a fly-tipping hotspot and it's not the first time that mattresses and other odds and ends have come to rest there. There's also been a small fridge sat on the pavement by KFH for a while.

There are plans to re-pave the entire area outside Paddy Power/Sylvan Post and install new street furniture, but I don't think the council has realised that the users of these benches will be the street drinkers.

I've spoken to the SNT about their thoughts on Dartmouth Road becoming a no-drinking area (pubs/cafes excluded), but they don't think it will happen.

Andrew1976

26-07-2015 12:33 PM

In respect of the comments re mental health problems, many people with problems of addiction (whether substance abuse or gambling) do need help and do deserve to be looked after. They of course must be willing to accept this and generally understand that their actions not only hurt themselves but those close to them and the public in general.
Sectioning is not the answer unless the person presents a serious risk to themselves or the public. These days with better CMHTs and an improving IAPT service, the necessity for sectioning is reducing - which is a good thing. People don't prosper or recover when isolated from the world.
If someone is presenting as a nuisance or causing problems, it is important to report to the police if you think there is a problem and the police can deal with that issue - whether 999 or the local station etc.
It's a bit hippy of me, but that's how I am and I think we all need to be aware that whilst people like this man are creating a social nuisance, you can guarantee that they would be horrified at themselves if they were able to understand the impact.
In respect of Melissa's problem, I agree to not confront and seek help from a passer by or a shop worker/owner. Safety in numbers...and not violent responses.
Hippy lecture over.
Peace and love.
Andrew.

chameleon

26-07-2015 05:26 PM

As someone who has experience of a one relative with severe mental illness I wholeheartedly agree with previous poster Andrew and I do not believe his argument is "hippyish" at all but instead is humane and very real. These people who end up on the streets are often intelligent but suffering from severe mental illness such as schizophrenia and like Andrew says would feel deeply ashamed if they were fully aware of their actions. I know from personal experience a very close relative now on the road to recovery thanks to some fantastic help and support of South London homeless and mental health charities. Please report to the police.

Londondrz

27-07-2015 08:06 AM

It is just a pity an overstretched police service is seen as the first port of call for someone with potential mental health problems.

Andrew1976

27-07-2015 08:24 AM

It's not so much that the Police replace medical care, it's that they can protect people (and the person) from harm. There's no point in calling an ambulance unless the person is physically unwell. Sadly the police are the safe option and it is what they are there for. I agree that it would be best if they could dedicate their time to murder and serious assault investigations but the fact is that offences are offences, even if just a minor one.

CrustyRack

27-07-2015 10:38 PM

Is he a white guy with shaved blandishments hair?

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Street drinkers outside Paddy Power Sammy 9 12,956 13-02-2014 02:57 PM
Last Post: michael
  Advertising hoarding outside Paddy Power - not a good advertisement gbrownings 24 23,307 03-11-2013 07:51 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  Incident at Paddy Power? Baytree 0 3,900 20-03-2012 09:47 AM
Last Post: Baytree
  Intimidating kids hanging around CBRoad 27 30,126 21-06-2008 07:20 PM
Last Post: billham