SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Shouting, intimidating man outside Paddy Power
Dartmouth Road

13-07-2015 02:59 PM

Has anyone else noticed this unpleasant man? If you walk down Dartmouth Road, he is outside Paddy Power pretty much every day, either on the benches or stalking around outside the Sylvan Post..

Although the street drinkers in this area have been a problem for some time, this particular man is having a really negative effect on the area by shouting, swearing and acting in a really aggressive manner towards passers-by and in general to no one. I've witnessed him numerous times standing by the side of the road screaming and making what looks like stabbing/shooting gestures.

He seems to be mentally unstable, which isn't helped by the fact that he spends most days drinking alcohol on the street and smoking weed. Recently I've seen him hassling people at the Sylvan Post benches for money and cigarettes and kicking over street bins.

Anyone else seen this? We really shouldn't have to put up with this intimidating behaviour on our streets. As we know, Forest Hill is home to many families, and I've seen dozens of young kids looking terrified as their parents hurry them along. I'm a grown man and he makes me feel uncomfortable when I walk past.

I've spoken to the Safer Neighbourhoods Team and they are aware of this man - and are trying to stop his antisocial behaviour. The more reports they get, the quicker he can be dealt with.

Anyone else witnessed this?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

13-07-2015 03:12 PM

Well done for contacting Safer Neighbourhoods Team who really ought to be able to do something about repeating incidents of aggressive, intimidating and anti-social behaviour from a single individual.

P1971

14-07-2015 12:22 PM

If it's the guy with the short dreads he got arrested on Saturday night. He was on bail after being arrested for urinating outside my shop on a Sunday afternoon recently. As far as I know he doesn't even live in FH, he lives near Lewisham.

ForestHillier

14-07-2015 12:33 PM

Well surely for everyones safety including his, should he not be sectioned ?

michael

14-07-2015 12:56 PM

Quote:
should he not be sectioned ?

I suspect doctors have better ways of judging when to section people than reading reports on internet forums. If not, we may all be in trouble Smile

P1971

14-07-2015 01:10 PM

The local SNT have put in a referral to mental health, sorry I'm not that sure how this works but as far as I know he himself has to agree to this.

The local police and SNT have been very helpful and supportive with this and from now on I will be taking pictures and passing them on anytime I see him acting antisocial.

Mattfh

14-07-2015 02:13 PM

This man and an associate have also recently tricked their way into nearby apartment blocks to smoke weed and drink, becoming very aggressive and threatening when challenged as to why they were there and being asked to leave. Police had to be called by which time they'd run off. Also reported to the SNT.

He's back in Forest Hill this afternoon.

Anotherjohn

14-07-2015 04:24 PM

Apparently he picked on the wrong people recently and it ended up with him taking a pasting from 3 guys outside Paddy Power.
He was giving it to me a few weeks ago so I stared right up into his face and he just walked on - still ranting and raving though.
I must admit, having seen him around quite a bit, he seems more mentally disturbed than merely drunk or stoned and although he barks very loudly he doesn't bite (well not hard anyway!).
On one hand I feel very sorry for the poor chap but on the other hand he shouldn't be allowed on the streets to frighten the hell out of normal people going about their daily lives so I hope the appropriate authorities manage to do their bit for him and for the community.

Londondrz

14-07-2015 05:33 PM

Care in the community in action.

Anotherjohn

14-07-2015 05:56 PM

You've put a space in where there shouldn't be one...

Care in the community inaction.

Londondrz

14-07-2015 07:39 PM

Anotherjohn, my dripping sarcasm is obviously faltering Laugh

nottinghillbilly

14-07-2015 07:54 PM

I know the guy-he is indeed very intimidating.
It struck me he was off his head on drugs, shouting and being generally obnoxious.
I have also notice an increase in beggars and drunks in the area in the last couple of weeks.
A beggar outside Sainsburys at the weekend, another under the subway most days.
And two drunks sat on the steps of Weatherspoons early on Sunday clearly off their heads.

ForestHillier

15-07-2015 07:52 AM

Apparently he picked on the wrong people recently and it ended up with him taking a pasting from 3 guys outside Paddy Power.
He was giving it to me a few weeks ago so I stared right up into his face and he just walked on - still ranting and raving though.
I must admit, having seen him around quite a bit, he seems more mentally disturbed than merely drunk or stoned and although he barks very loudly he doesn't bite (well not hard anyway!).
On one hand I feel very sorry for the poor chap but on the other hand he shouldn't be allowed on the streets to frighten the hell out of normal people going about their daily lives so I hope the appropriate authorities manage to do their bit for him and for the community.

Maybe it would be better for his own safety also if he was in some sort of hospital, as one day he may pick on the wrong people and mat end up getting killed

Decker

15-07-2015 10:31 AM

The beggar who used to abuse people if they didn't give him money.....they somehow sorted that guy out. So hopefully they can fix this guy up too. But it will probably take forever to be referred for help.

15-07-2015 11:47 AM

The bigger problem here is the amount of betting shops in Forest Hill. This kind of behaviour and type of person will always appear around any betting shop. You can get rid of one then another just turns up in his place the following day.

Unfortunately unless Paddy Power packs it bags and goes somewhere else this is always going to be a problem on Dartmouth Road.

A few bets, few tinnies and free cigarettes and change courtesy of the patrons of the Sylvain Post will always ensure its a good day out for many of them.

ForestHillier

15-07-2015 12:13 PM

Well clearly not the betting shops at fault if this person is suffering with severe mental problems, as if thats the case, then its very sad and the sooner they get help, the better for all.

I dont think you can blame it all on having a few bets, few tinnies and a few cigs.

Afterall people cannot help it if they do have severe mental health issues - can they ?

15-07-2015 01:05 PM

Throw in some strong drugs and its probably hard to tell the difference. We dont know for sure if it is a mental health problem.

My point was that this kind of behaviour is more common in and around certain establishments than others.

ForestHillier

15-07-2015 01:44 PM

You make a good point there Newbie. Yet I believe some people have these issues due to the fact that they take the drugs and drink to excess

Melissa

17-07-2015 11:46 AM

Wherever they hang out it is very intimidating especially if you are a woman walking on your own. I usually just walk on without saying anything, but several times recently they (and as noted in the posts there are different ones) walked after me shouting abuse. Any advice on how to deal with it on the spot?

ForestHillier

17-07-2015 12:23 PM

Hi Melissa,

Not sure there is a way of dealing with it - however please do not confront them as you know what they will do to you, only thing I can say is walk past quickly and ignore them. Maybe call the police - for what good that will do

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Street drinkers outside Paddy Power Sammy 9 12,956 13-02-2014 02:57 PM
Last Post: michael
  Advertising hoarding outside Paddy Power - not a good advertisement gbrownings 24 23,278 03-11-2013 07:51 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  Incident at Paddy Power? Baytree 0 3,900 20-03-2012 09:47 AM
Last Post: Baytree
  Intimidating kids hanging around CBRoad 27 30,121 21-06-2008 07:20 PM
Last Post: billham