SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Another Cyclist Killed
ForestHillier

22-06-2015 10:06 AM

whatever you think of cyclists - this is still very sad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33223823

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

22-06-2015 10:38 AM

It is very sad to hear of another death like this. I wish some cyclist stuck to the mantra I was taught when doing lessons to get my motorcycle licence. If it's big, stay away from it, don't be tempted to move past it unless you are 110% sure you can. Treat all other road users like idiots who are trying to kill you and you may well make it.

The number of cyclists I see squeezing past busses and trucks on the left hand side at junctions are inches away from real trouble. Just don't do it, better late than dead.

Ligersaur

22-06-2015 11:52 AM

"[W]hatever you think of cyclists - this is still very sad" or whatever you think of the murdering drivers of vehicles ...

I'd avoid a conscious or unconscious bias by lumping together people based on their mode of transport.

This post was last modified: 22-06-2015 11:53 AM by Ligersaur.

ForestHillier

22-06-2015 12:19 PM

The reason I wrote WHATEVER YOU THINK OF CYCLISTS is because I know there are some who dislike them as ive reat it on many forums [ that does not include me I will add ], there is no need to start accusing all motorists of being murderers - is there ?

Maybe I should have worded it somewhat better - yet not everyone on here is brilliant at the english language when it comes to writing and I apologise if some of posts offend or dont make much sense

This post was last modified: 22-06-2015 12:21 PM by ForestHillier.

Mr_Numbers

22-06-2015 12:28 PM

Folks, let's take this down a notch as I think we have a case of multiple misunderstandings here.

ForestHillier is right to comment that many (not all) drivers have considerable dislike for cyclists, because so many (not all) of them demonstrate either complete contempt or total ignorance of the Highway Code - and of the basic practices that will keep themselves alive.

Ligersaur, in my view, interpreted this (wrongly) as a broad-based assault on all cyclists and countered with the 'murdering drivers' comment simply as a way of demonstrating that you can no more lump all cyclists together as being idiots than you can say that all drivers are murderers.

And then ForestHillier, in my view, interpreted that comment (wrongly) as a broad-based assault on all drivers.

So let's all take a deep breath, count to ten, and remember that - regardless of whose fault it was - there's been a real tragedy at Bank.

Londondrz

22-06-2015 12:30 PM

Ligersaur, you go for it, jump right in there. All road users other than cyclists are murderers. Calm down dear!

Some road users are idiots, some are not. That includes car drivers, cyclists, truck drivers, bus drivers, bin drivers, scaffold lorry drivers, unicyclists, motorcyclists, ice cream van drivers, mopeds, etc etc.

Someone died, lets not wait for the facts to emerge but plunge right in there.

Get your flaming torches here, pitch forks over there.

This post was last modified: 22-06-2015 12:31 PM by Londondrz.

ForestHillier

22-06-2015 12:58 PM

Sorry now that I even posted it in the 1st place

And well said Mr Numbers - there are idiots of every walk of life out there - the main thing is to try and avoid them

Ligersaur

22-06-2015 01:05 PM

Clearly motorists are not murderers - Mr_Numbers is correct. We don't know the facts of this seemingly unnecessary death - Londondrz is correct. It is highly likely that the deceased was obeying all road rules immediately before she was killed.

Referencing other people's unsubstantiated viewpoints, such as cyclists' deaths are their own fault, only gives their voices credit, which is why I mentioned unconscious bias previously. I also wish some cyclists showed more restraint rather than putting themselves into potentially hazardous situations; however, juxtaposing such advice with a post about a cyclist being crushed to death in unknown circumstances may imply that the advice would have been relevant to the accident at hand.

I see many truck drivers straddling lanes in the City, sometimes partially overtaking cyclist at junctions, and all while wearing earphones. All this is true, but I wouldn't want to post my own observations in response to such an article as I don't think that they are relevant until we know all the facts.

Finally, sorry ForestHillier. I am glad that you posted the article. Cycle safety is particularly relevant to Forest Hill as cycling numbers from SE London are due to rise as local and surrounding populations increase, and the current infrastructure for cycling into the city (rather than to and from the surrounding areas) is poor and even dangerous in places, which only causes more conflict between cyclists and drivers at the most congested times of the day, which in turn may lead to further unnecessary animosity.

This post was last modified: 22-06-2015 01:09 PM by Ligersaur.

Londondrz

22-06-2015 01:08 PM

Thumbsup

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields