SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Japanese Knotweed in Siddons Car Hire
saralou

26-05-2015 11:31 AM

Hello SE23 - I'm new to the area and the forum!

I just thought I'd bring it to people's attention that there appears to be a large amount of Japanese Knotweed growing in the grounds of Siddons Car & Van Hire at the bottom of Siddons Road / Perry Vale. They use the grounds as their car park and the vehicles are in and out daily, this itself can cause the spread of this harmful and invasive weed. I live locally to the site and have written to the council as it is a concern how close and wildly it is growing to so many houses.
From what I understand, it is not illegal to have it on your property, however, you can be prosecuted for allowing it to spread on to other people's properties. Blink
I'm posting this in the hope that other concerned neighbours complain about this site in the hope that it is suitably maintained as it currently appears to be growing rampantly.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

26-05-2015 11:52 AM

Hi Saralou, welcome to the area and forum Smile
Great first post, I always try and highlight knotweed when I see it. Have you let them know in person at all? Fair play if you haven't.

Nasty stuff indeed, hope they sort it before it affects others.

saralou

26-05-2015 12:22 PM

Thanks Snazy,

I haven't let them know in person yet Wink but my husband is planning to pop in and speak to them. They may not be aware of what it is.
I'm just a little paranoid about it as when we were looking to buy a house, we couldn't get a mortgage on one property due to a small amount of Japanese Knotweed in the back garden so I'm fully aware of how harmful it can be.

Sherwood

26-05-2015 12:34 PM

It can come up inside your house!

We used to like it years ago because it gave privacy for our side window - until we found out what it can do.

dartmouth

02-06-2015 08:38 AM

They are well aware of it at the car hire place. I walked past the premises last year whilst they were having it looked at. The whole plot is infested, with weed coming up betwee steps and through the concrete pavement. I feel for the flats next door! I think the problem with it is that it all but disappears for many months of the year, so as it goes out of sight, its out of mind. They try to contain it by trapping the weed between two wire fences, but that will not restrict the undergrowth creeping next door.

Snazy

02-06-2015 09:49 AM

They need to let it grow a little into early summer then get treating it, aggressively. Can be dealt with if done properly. Chopping it back doesn't help one bit. Hopefully for the sake of those near by they sort it out.

Bcm

05-06-2015 11:47 PM

I notified them about the issue nearly 18 months ago out of courtesy to the neighbouring properties which are almost unmortgagable whilst the site is like this. Disappointing that nothing has been done. It is also much much worse now.

Scotdan

06-06-2015 06:23 AM

Concerningly there's a lot of the stuff growing on the line path next to platform 1 at FH Station

Sandpiper

06-06-2015 10:44 AM

I think it's also growing outside the church on David's Road, where the weeds have really shot up in the last few weeks

edd

06-06-2015 06:59 PM

Some patches in unkempt front gardens in Sunderland Road and Stanstead Road. I am tracking its progress towards our house with some trepidation! I suspect people just don't know what it is.

hoona

06-06-2015 08:06 PM

And in front gardens FH end of Devonshire Thumbdown

m00ky

07-06-2015 08:42 PM

I found the following page useful for identification and treatment:

http://www.ayrshireriverstrust.org/cisp/...-knotweed/

I understand that cutting it back is bad as it needs to grow to transport glycophosphate weedkillers to the root system, but looking at Siddons, I don't think they can be doing much to control it as the plants are really big and covering a large area.

The injection method sounds good though. Maybe I'll suggest they try that.

Perryman

08-06-2015 10:12 AM

Stem injection looks promising.
But I don't really want this carcinogenic poison glycophosphate sprayed liberally around SE23.
It is linked with other problems too: "ranging from birth defects and kidney failure to celiac disease, colitis and autism. "
And it affects honey bees and butterflies.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/a...ies-use-it

Knotweed must pop up in people's gardens all the time, and not knowing what it is, it will be successfully defeated along with any other weed, by the usual methods. It is persistent, but not close to indestructible if it is caught early.

Sherwood

08-06-2015 07:50 PM

I got rid of mine by constantly chopping it down.

m00ky

19-06-2015 10:49 PM

Quote:
I got rid of mine by constantly chopping it down.

Do note what the article says - the cut material is controlled waste and cannot easily be disposed of and poses a significant risk in further spreading the plant.

You may also have only fought it back to dormancy. The reason glyphosate is recommended is that it is transported by the plant to growth centres where it interferes with normal plant cell operation, and so can kill the plant deep down. Even then, it can take many applications to be fully effective, and needs to be applied at the right times in the season. It is also normal that it is not immediately effective, so patience is required.

Now, whether glyphosate is safe for humans.... they use tons of the stuff in America, liberally spraying "roundup-ready" GM food crops. I don't think that's necessarily good, but if there were a problem, I'm sure the effects would be seen now, and there are a number of studies with conflicting and inconclusive results.

That said, I don't really like herbicides and pesticides and use them rarely and cautiously, but Japanese Knotweed does demand tough action to control.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Japanese Knotweed and Network Rail Morriorl 6 7,732 04-11-2015 10:49 AM
Last Post: blushingsnail