SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Pedder & Co advertisement boards
blushingsnail

23-06-2015 02:22 PM

Well I'm still walking past Pedder signs advertising a school fair on 14 June.

How do these signs raise money for the schools? I had assumed they were just advertising the fair to encourage more attendance (but does anyone actually go to primary school fairs unless they're connected with one of the pupils?). Or does the estate agency pay the school so they can erect their advertising boards outside (sometimes the wrong) parents' houses?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CatfordBorders

23-06-2015 02:37 PM

Estate Agents pay the school per board, up to a certain number of boards, as it advertises their business as well as the school's event.

jaradras

23-06-2015 03:24 PM

Estate agents boards for any purpose are an eye sore - for sale, to let or advertising a school fair. In this modern age of social media and the internet, these boards are a relic of the past.

It has been said by others that using these boards for advertising school fair and raising money is a lazy way of fundraising - you do not have to do anything except agree for the board to be nailed to your gate - no effort required from the school, parent or the child !

Londondrz

23-06-2015 04:33 PM

Jaradras, not sure what the issue is. The estate agent pays the school for each board that goes up. Each board is advertising for the school and the estate agents.

If you feel people should work for the money maybe the home owner could jog on the spot outside their home for 5 minutes???

As for being a relic, there are still one or two people who may want to read an actual Guardian and not the one on their tablet and who don't rejoice at the sound of their phone announcing Twitter has a new post that says a Kardashian sneezed or that someone posted a picture of food on Facebook.

I hear you can get nutritional food in a tube but I wont be trying it.

ringingcod

24-06-2015 09:33 AM

That's right, jaradras, because parents, children and schools don't do anything else to raise funds, oh no, just nail a board to the house and count the money.

CatfordBorders

24-06-2015 11:13 AM

I can assure you that parents, staff, and volunteers in schools do raise money in non-"lazy" ways, that require a lot of "effort" as well! This is just one source of extra income for the school in the run up to one of the main money-raising events (the summer fair).

They need to raise money in any way they can - school budgets are squeezed tight.

This post was last modified: 24-06-2015 11:15 AM by CatfordBorders.

lacb

24-06-2015 12:38 PM

All true... and yet, this is not about advertising a school event - the parents of children are the ones who go to the fair anyway. It is cheap and plentiful advertising for estate agents placed ideally. They could well afford to support local school fairs as a goodwill community gesture and still get a banner at the fair in return.

If these signs said Drink Coca-Cola (proud sponsors of...) then I can't imagine many people would agree to having them. Am not sure why this is perceived differently.

Deano

26-06-2015 10:19 AM

I think it's great that Pedder are contributing to school funds which have enabled us to improve the children's environment and education. As a parent I'm happy to have a board outside my house and don't mind at all that Pedder get something from that. It even makes me more inclined to use Pedder when we sell our house (thanks to them also for turning the Laundrette into an attractive shopfront).

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields