SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Dartmouth Road plans and Forest Lodge
davidwhiting

31-05-2015 07:46 AM

I've received the leaflet announcing the consultation on the plans to improve Dartmouth Rd. These are funded by TfL, but to be taken forward by Lewisham Council.

I've several questions about this project, but there is one proposal that residents of Forest Lodge and adjacent properties might find particularly interesting.

The Council is proposing among other things to remove the 'illegal parking' on the stretch of Dartmouth Road opposite the Pools and Holy Trinity School and replace it with parking bays. Now residents of those properties seem to be under the impression that the parking in question is on their land and is not illegal - having lived here for 40 years, I am sure that they are right.

Would suggest that residents on that side of the road might care to look at the consultation and respond appropriately.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
borderpaul

04-06-2015 12:07 PM

Let me know how you get on, if you succeed I am going to ask the council if I can take ownership of the road outside my house where I have tried to park my car for the last 14 years.

michael

04-06-2015 02:26 PM

The lack of dropped curb and cars parked behind pedestrian crossings and a bus stop suggests that the access to these parking places is illegal.

The lack of enforcement suggests that the yellow lines do not apply to cars parked this far back from the road, even if the land is owned by the council. And that the council are not enforcing the illegal crossing of the pavement by residents.

But if the land is owned by the council as they claim, then the notices that prevent people parking here are also entirely incorrect and no legal enforcement by the residents would be possible.

I think I know where I'll be parking next time I drive to the pool!

davidwhiting

06-06-2015 10:07 PM

For what it's worth, the parking pre-dates the crossing by decades. I questioned with officers whether this was the best location for the crossing at the time it was installed.

As to the legality of crossing pavements to park, I'm not sure that the presence or not of a dropped kerb is the relevant consideration. However, I'm sure the lawyers will know. In general terms, I believe it is legal to cross the footway to reach a parking place on private land.

Sherwood

07-06-2015 08:55 AM

My understanding is that a dropped kerb and a crossover are required for access to private land. Ultimately, the Council will have the final say as they can install bollards to prevent access. It is possible that the residents have acquired a legal easement to park on this land. That will provide work for the lawyers!

This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 08:57 AM by Sherwood.

Poppet2

09-06-2015 08:35 PM

If it is not illegal and no permit is required to park outside Forest Hill Lodge, what is there to stop anyone parking outside there?

Are there any notices to state 'Residents private parking only', and what would be the penalty if non- residents did park outside there?

Londondrz

09-06-2015 08:46 PM

You may not cross a pavement to park etc unless it is across a dropped kerb. from memory it's a fine and points.

michael

09-06-2015 10:10 PM

I saw an interesting piece of reversing on the pavement right beside the fence for the pedestrian crossing. No dropped kerb, nothing legal about the maneuver. I almost stopped by car to prevent them getting off the pavement with two police officers about a minute behind on foot, but I would have obstucted the bus that was not far behind me.

this spot is as bad as the skip vans outside Smiths in the morning, blocking the pavement while waiting to reverse into the skip yard.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  36 Honor Oak Road (ex Hamilton Lodge Care Home) jaradras 224 184,304 12-04-2016 10:55 AM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Moving soon to Dartmouth Road area of Forest Hill anne1949 7 10,190 03-11-2011 10:13 AM
Last Post: anne1949
  Plans to do up Forest Hill dangermouse 20 23,318 23-05-2008 09:55 AM
Last Post: nevermodern