SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Labour Leadership Challenge
Sherwood

16-09-2008 08:33 PM

Jim Dowd (our MP) has asked for nomination papers to be available at the Labour Party Conference.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/lewgre...ection.php

I think they will not be made available to avoid wasting paper!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

17-09-2008 09:06 AM

I am amazed , necer thought Jim would go against party. Did he not used to be a whip?
Perhaps he is worried about the new voters in Penge, if he visits Penge do not think he will be to concerned it is a hot bed of Tory voters.

RussB

17-09-2008 12:21 PM

As we've already had current whips going against the party, I don't suppose it should surprise us that former whips are doing it.

roz

17-09-2008 05:04 PM

Gordon is unusually quiet at the moment which is not a good thing given the extent of the crisis thats going on all around us. Not a public statement in sight. Has he retreated completely into his own head, or perhaps finding it all a bit much?

The silence is almost deafening and people need something/one to fill the vacuum as to all intents and purposes we are effectively all leaderless at the moment, not just the Labour Party.
Its enough to make you yearn for Alistair Campbell.

As a lifelong member and Labour voter, I agree the time has come to do something. Gordon needs to convince us all that he is worth keeping at the very least. The problem is , who is around to do a better job? I can't see or think of anyone in the Labour Party,
(please don't even mention the Chuckle Brothers) and I certainly wouldn't relish Cameron or Clegg in power even if I did agree with their politics.

I have to say, probably unpredictably, that Vince Cable is the Leader the Lib Dems should have had . He can certainly hold an audience and command respect. As such he would have put some pizzazz back into UK politics, and perhaps resultingly we could have had a more challenged and challenging leadership from Gordon and more interesting political times than we have now.

vipes

17-09-2008 07:11 PM

Silence from the cabinet is pretty deafening too. Except, strangely, the support from David Milliband. Either he's so sure GB is on his way out he can afford to look loyal before he strikes or - more bleakly - he'll wait for four years of Tory **** ups before stepping in. He's a very sharp operator IMHO.

Sherwood

17-09-2008 08:48 PM

Roz,

What was wrong with Tony Blair - the Labour leader who won three general elections in a row and the last one with (I think) the largest Labour majority ever?

I agree that Vince Cable should have been the Lib-dem leader. He actually knows about finance!

I think it is going to be an interesting Labour Party conference!

brian

18-09-2008 08:33 AM

I agree TB one of our best Scot's PM's , GB could learn from him.

Any challenger should put up or shut up. We need a firm leader at this time.

Snazy

18-09-2008 09:58 AM

GB is a lost sheep, changes direction more than a lost dog.
As for put up or shut up.... hmmm where did that phrase originate. Shame GB didnt do just that when he was harping on about a GE.

Maybe HE should offer the leadership up for grabs, instead of sacking people left right and centre for having the balls to have a voice, unlike the rest of the pocket MP's.

brian

18-09-2008 10:48 AM

Yes I agree he meddled when TB was in charge. I personally do not think he was a good Chancellor, the fact he encouraged the banks to lend to those who could not pay is the root of our problems. Also he pilfered peoples pensions as his Pensions Credit simply encourages people not to save.

However we do need a strong leader now despite his previous shortcomings. Can you point out any other potential leaders who could do better , except Frank Field who would not get the job.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields