SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Moped/scooter thieves
skyepark

09-05-2015 10:45 AM

Hi

There have been youths seen lurking around the estates with cutters and nonplated scooters, my husband is a night owl and has called the police upon seeing them and hearing them. He also had the chain off his motorbike cut once.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

09-05-2015 04:58 PM

Funny you should post this, I am just going through footage now of such people riding in Bellingham.
I did call it in, but don't believe that anyone arrived in time to apprehend them.
Truly is becoming a blight now, and there are many groups.

Erekose

09-05-2015 05:02 PM

I was pleased to see the Police giving Chase to the quad bike gang the other night. I was not able to see if the squad car caught up with them but I do hope so.

Snazy

09-05-2015 05:05 PM

Rarely ends in an arrest unless there is an accident of turn in fortune. The rules are somewhat unbalanced when it comes to chasing motorcycle riders with no helmets. Fingers crossed they did though.

Really is becoming a big issue in the area now.

m00ky

10-05-2015 09:44 PM

I believe you don't have to have a helmet to ride a quad bike, so I don't see what issue that should present to the police. Standard rules about endangering bystanders though, but I think the way these things are being driven they are already a fair risk to the innocent.

Also the crazy quad bike that weaved around my car and other traffic the other night had a number plate - I don't get why the police can't stop these twerps, and if they fail to stop, just go to the registered owner and persue them. And with all the NPR cameras around London, I would have thought it would be an easy catch once their plates are registered for a crime (e.g. failing to stop, dangerous driving, speeding, driving on 2 wheels on a public highway etc).

Finally these things are really noisy - they must have knackered the exhausts which probably means the engine efficiency is down too. Do they have to pass an MOT, do they pass, and what about the Low Emmision zone? Are they even insured to drive on the highway, without a helmet, or on two wheels?

I'm sure there is more complexity than this, but these quad bike are a noisy antisocial nuisance and a danger on the roads. I expect it will only get worse as summer comes along, at least until Darwin is proven right.

sydenhamcentral

11-05-2015 09:12 AM

True, you don't need a crash helmet to ride a quad bike.

But there are a number of restrictions:

http://blog.lblaw.co.uk/the-legal-obliga...bikes-571/

Londondrz

11-05-2015 09:25 AM

The quad bike riders around here have modified their bikes and that includes free flow exhausts (i.e. Baffles removed or aftermarket exhausts).

Also, don't get your hopes up about the police doing anything about the scooter riders. A number of years ago I saw a scooter two up with the passenger wearing just a hoodie. Knowing this was not a good sign I kept an eye on them as my next door neighbour had two motorcycles. Sure enough they tried to steal them. I confronted them and was attacked with a crow bar and a heavy motorcycle chain. My wife called the police in a panic (this was around 9.30pm on a Sunday evening).

The police turned up half an hour later, shrugged a bit and went on their way.

Snazy

11-05-2015 01:17 PM

The biggest reason they can go after any of the above groups is a Section 59 Anti Social Behaviour, which covers a wide range of offences, but the nicest bit being the permission to seize a vehicle constantly involved. Not so easy with non registered vehicles.

With regards to numberplates, ANPR etc, its all well and good if they are legitimately registered, genuine plates, and registered at the keepers genuine place, which isn't the case most of the time. Might explain why said "road legal" vehicles are chased, as they are flagged on the PNC, or set off the ANPR for no insurance etc.

Its a lovely idea that they can just be rounded up, but not a reality, and it takes a lot of resources which isn't always available.

There has been a nice clampdown in Bromley recently, so hopefully it will spread.

m00ky

11-05-2015 04:13 PM

Given the reported apathy of the police, I'm really surprised we don't see a rise in vigilantism in this country...

It's probably a good thing, though, that the closest to vigilante action I've seen is in the form of guerrilla street cleaning with the local councillor!!

Snazy

12-05-2015 12:07 PM

I think there is a fine line between apathy, and a limit in powers and resources. Given my past experiences with the police, I have to say I have found most interactions very effective, and good outcomes.

One thing I would however note is, the number of people willing to be vocal about issues, but have NO involvement in resolving them. As on previous threads, calls to the police regarding suspicious behaviour etc, seems to be few and far between.

First stage of taking action, is passing the information to the police. I realise that sometimes responses are not as dramatic and conclusive as some TV shows, but every little helps. Sometimes giving them A and B, with no further action on those occasions, means when C occurs, there is A and B to be brought into account too. (confusing description I know)

Long and short, there are going to be times when a response is slow, as even though it feels like an emergency, it doesn't immediately justify a priority response (blues and twos), bodies are thin on the ground, or the outcome is dispersal rather than arrest or further action. But at the end of it all, the police 99.9% of them, give it all they can in their power.

As I have said, this current blight, bikes, mopeds and quads are a slippery worm, but one I have faith is being dealt with. Thumbsup

Londondrz

12-05-2015 01:54 PM

My interaction with the police has been both good and bad but as Snazy says, unless you give them a heads up and a bit of assistance there is even less than they can do.

Saying "maybe I should have called them" a few days after seeing something suspicious going on is a little late. There is a 101 number for instances like this.

Snazy

12-05-2015 03:01 PM

Just to be clear, I have had some poor experiences too, its not all roses. But as you say, no point in thinking "I should have" hours or days later.

Get involved, say what you see.

stepover

14-05-2015 11:21 AM

Just thought I'd mention that there was some extremely dangerous and anti-social moped racing going on around Stanstead Rd / Rockbourne Rd last night between about midnight-1am. In particular the individuals involved were using the dedicated Stanstead Rd cycle lane (and going down it the wrong way to boot) at ridiculous speeds.

I have reported it (again) to the Safer Neighbourhoods Team for what good it will do. It seems to be becoming a regular occurrence sadly and I'm not quite sure how they can stop it (short of more widespread rules about owning and running a scooter - being allowed to stick an L-plate on at 16 and hop on the open roads indefinitely is just insane).

Perryman

14-05-2015 12:10 PM

stepover - they were up and down Perry Vale too if that is any consolation.
One was so loud that it was setting off car alarms as it went by.

Mr_Numbers

14-05-2015 05:02 PM

Good news story, apparently, from the Safer Neighbourhoods team report, posted elsewhere on this forum:

Quote:
Good News Story

Officers from your local policing team have recently made a number of arrests following a sharp increase in the theft of vehicles, namely motor cycles and mopeds/scooters across not only the ward but the whole of the south of the borough. It appears that the thefts were organised collectively with the machines being stored and subsequently broken down for parts.

Full report here: http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php...8#pid68798

davidl

22-05-2015 09:43 PM

After the good news above, sorry to report that my bike was vandalised last night and the battery was stolen. At the time it was chained up in our front garden.

This was between Garthorne and Bovill Road, off Brockley Rise. I spoke with a neighbour and the night before he had apparently had indicators stolen off his bike.

This post was last modified: 22-05-2015 09:43 PM by davidl.

michael

05-06-2015 12:00 PM

more arrests yesterday over in East Dulwich:
http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/...?5,1526728

Londondrz

05-06-2015 02:34 PM

Love the comments on there "Obliterate with anti aircraft fire", very North KoreaLaugh

Tarquin

08-06-2015 04:42 PM

Waldram Park Road has a problem with the same motorbikes revving as loudly as possible, going up and down - in a group on Saturdays with a couple of quad bikes thrown in. They are part of the general afro-caribbean fraternity that frequent the groovy takeaway on Perry Vale - you know the one really enhances the area.

The worst problem is thumping car stereos and if anyone knows of a hand held gadget - like the ones used to stop neighbours dogs barking - that cuts out their stereos on application - I would be extremely pleased to work it day and night.

longtimegone

09-06-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:
general afro-caribbean fraternity

our society has been enriched by multi culture.
So I am told.
Having moved away before it got to this point, I have to believe what I am told.

I wonder how big the elephant in the room will get before it creates untameable havoc?

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Local police advice re motorcycle, moped and scooter crime prevention admin 1 4,378 02-07-2015 06:19 PM
Last Post: Londondrz