SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Feast and Fungus Workshop, 17th May
dacreswood

05-05-2015 08:20 AM

We're hosting Claudio Bincoletto, farmer, chef, forager and environmental expert, on Sunday May 17th

The day is about the food we eat and the natural environment, and will be in three parts, but throughout children, accompanied by parents, are encouraged to explore our reserve. Ema Felix of Secret Adventurers, who uses Dacres Wood regularly, will also be around with entertainment and activities.

For adults principally

10.30 - 12.00 Claudio will talk about his work, growing food and foraging, and its impact on the environment.

12.30 - 2.00 A feast and picnic. Claudio will be preparing and eating Risotto primavera and Wild herb frittata with using wild herbs grown on his allotment - but which we can show you growing in the reserve and neighbouring gardens. Only 20 servings will be possible, but guests are welcome to bring their own picnic, and we hope those who have booked will share a forkful with friends.

2.30 - 3.30 Claudio will be showing how to prepare two recently felled sycamores for growing the native oyster mushroom. This will involved drilling them with c. 300 plugs inoculated with the fungus, and will require suitable clothing and footware. Over the next three years these trees should produce a supply of edible mushrooms, which we will be offering to those who sponsor plugs.

Usually our Open Days are free, but we need to cover costs, so we are asking a £5 entrance fee for adults, and an additional £5 for those being served risotto and wild herb frittata, which also needs to be booked - at the time off writing here, there are just 10 servings left.

To reserve a serving it is necessary to email events@dacreswood.org.uk, but if you can also email to give an idea of how many people will be coming, that would also be helpful. Alternatively, there is a booking form on our web site

http://dacreswood.org.uk/

where you can find out more about us.

The Friends of Dacres Wood is a recently formed group, with the main aim of supporting the work of LB Lewisham in maintaining this nature reserve, and helping the local community learn about it, and so about the natural environment. We look forward to your support for this event and hope you will share this with friends.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dacreswood

12-05-2015 04:55 PM

I think we've just sold out the 20 servings of risotto primavera and frittata for this, but some people haven't been explicit about wanting to eat what Claudio is cooking, as well as come for the day. So, I think we'll have 20 special food tickets reserved until 12.00 for those who've said they are coming, and after that we will offer them to first comers. In any case, we hope people will be sharing a taste with friends, so as many people as possible can experience this.

With the day lasting from 10.30 with Claudio's talk, to 2.30 when we will be drilling into the sycamore, and positioning it for producing mushrooms over the next three years, we'll also be offering passes to people who want to come and go - for example to some of the exiting offers from the Forest Hill Fiver Fest Weekend

As well as Ema providing activities for children, I'm happy to take visitors round, showing them all the things I've been recording in weekly walks this year - today's having just gone up on our web site.

Here are the tadpoles from today, which are swarming all over the pond.

dacreswood

12-05-2015 05:02 PM

I forgot to add - there will also be some edible plants for sale, and visitors, as well as seeing the reserve, will also be able to see how some planters installed in the field centre yard are now being used to grow garlic, tomatoes, beetroot and spinach beet, thanks to an ingenious trickle feed watering system.

dacreswood

15-05-2015 08:08 AM

All servings for our Feast and Fungus Workshop, 17th May have now been sold, but I've just been emailed by Ema who runs Secret Adventurers who'll be there with a spotter sheet for kids and bug pots.

We are open from 10.30 to 2.30, and adults, for whom entrance is £5, are invited to bring a picnic to join those being served risotto and frittata, and take part in the day's other activities. I hope also to take groups round, showing what I have been seeing on my weekly walks this year.

dacreswood

18-05-2015 07:36 PM

Just like to say thank you to everyone who came along to enjoy Claudio's cooking, learn about the ingredients he uses, and help with inoculating some sycamores with oyster mushroom plugs.

More pictures on our web site

http://dacreswood.org.uk/buon-appetito-s...-workshop/

We'll keep you posted on how the harvest goes, and opportunities to sponsor plugs and share in it!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields