SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Highway improvements to Dartmouth Road
davidwhiting

17-01-2016 10:04 AM

Otherjohn's arguments about loading are very powerful. In fact, unless the loading problem is solved, I am not sure these works should go ahead. A main objective of these improvements is to provide conditions in which retail business will be better able to thrive. There is not much point if many businesses are seriously damaged.

There are obviously conflicting demands on Dartmouth Road (for example, traffic flow, pedestrian flow, retail needs). These are in many cases irreconcilable.

I raised the following concerns with the transport section:

1. The road and pavements on the West (Sylvan Post) side of Dartmouth Road are at a much higher level than those on the East (Boots). In places, I estimate as much as 2 to 3 feet. The illustration on the front page of the brochure shows the road as level.

My concern is that it may be difficult to achieve the single level highway. This could mean either an unsatisfactory result, or a very long period of work. I believe that a full survey of likely difficulties, and a delay risk assessment, should be undertaken before these works are carried out. I would mention the works in Ladywell which, because matters dragged on for so long, caused serious difficulties for local enterprises.

2. I note that natural stone is proposed.

Capital investment always has a revenue consequence, and I would want an assurance that the use of natural stone would not increase maintenance costs. The council's resources for highways maintenance cannot be expected to increase over the next few years.

3. Before the position of the bus stops on Dartmouth Road is finalised, I would suggest that a trial is undertaken with temporary stops - given the narrowed carriageway, there is a risk of tail backs to the S Circular if more than one bus arrives at a time.

4. I am not clear which trees are to be felled outside Kingswear House. The evergreen oaks may have some historic significance related to the country estate on which this part of Dartmouth Road was built. I imagine that the trees along the road would have been either pleached or pollarded when funds were available for such things.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Highway improvements to Dartmouth Road - davidwhiting - 17-01-2016 10:04 AM
Dartmouth Road Pavement Parking - kipya - 13-04-2016, 06:37 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Development of Highway Dartmouth Rd Garthess 4 5,142 13-04-2017 07:22 PM
Last Post: admin