SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Dogs at Mayow Park
Rayray

13-03-2015 08:49 PM

Does anyone else think that there is an issue with uncontrolled dogs off their leads at Mayow Park?

I have had two very bad experiences - one last summer when a large dog ransacked our picnic with young children, including taking food and chasing the kids. This has resulted in my three-year-old daughter being terrified of all dogs. We struggled to find the owner and when I requested the dog to be put on his lead he told me to shut up.

Today a large dog chased our party with young children and nipped a 12-month-old boy in the hand. Again, the owner never came forward, apologised nor took any responsibility for the dog's actions and it was up to us to chase it off.

To dog owners: "it's a friendly dog" or "he/she likes kids" is not an adequate response to your dog rifling, chasing or otherwise being uncontrolled around my children. I don't know your dog. And you don't know how your dog will act around my children, particularly when they are running around scared, screaming and with food. Going forward, I will be kicking dogs which approach my children. I hope this makes you worry how a mother with small children might treat your dog just as I worry how your dog will treat my children.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alice

14-03-2015 08:31 AM

I think attempting to kick any dog that comes near your children in the park is an excellent and proportionate response and will really lead by example when it comes to showing your children how to behave safely around animals.

And yes I am being sarcastic!

I take my toddler and dog to Mayow park regularly and on the whole I think dog owners are responsible and there isn't a problem with uncontrolled dogs. It's a shame you've had a bad experience and unfortunately there is always the odd exception to the rule, it's a shame you've encountered them and I do sympathise if any children were actually bitten. Unless there is a very real and imminent danger though it is best not to run away from a dog as it may think it's a game of chase.

I appreciate it's difficult if she already has a fear but the best thing you can do is to teach your daughter not to be scared of dogs and to understand how to interact with them safely. Like it or not, they are here to stay so it is best to learn to coexist with them. She may even find some of them are quite nice!

Children "running around scared, screaming and with food" is not going to help matters as they tend to feed off our energy and may well think it's a great game. Or the dog itself may be scared. As the adult, if you encourage the children to remain calm and stand up and put yourself between the dog and the children a stern "no" or "off" may well do the trick, unless it really has approached the group with the sole intention of biting one of the children, which thankfully is fairly unlikely.

The picnic thing is tricky, usually a problem with young dogs and food motivated breeds like labradors. My understanding of Mayow is that generally dogs are supposed to be walked roughly around the edge of the park, which most people adhere to, particularly as the weather gets warmer and there are more other park users and less dog walkers about. I would suggest having your picnic near the middle of the park to minimise the risk of picnic rifling.

This post was last modified: 14-03-2015 08:33 AM by Alice.

michael

14-03-2015 09:03 AM

I would recommend purchasing a device like this anti dog alarm: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0051GO5...X110_SY165
I hate the idea of a dog attacking my daughter so we added one of these to the nappy bag and continue to carry it when in parks etc.
I've only had to use it once (on holiday) and it repelled the dog without the need for a good kicking.

there is a specific picnic area in the park, next to the playground that is enclosed by a fence.

Sherwood

15-03-2015 09:51 AM

Take a photo of the offending dog and ask the Police to investigate. They probably already know who the owner is.

Dogs react to your emotions. If you are scared of them, they are more likely to attack and as has already been said think it is a good game of chase. If you kick a dog don't be surprised if it bites you back.

Snazy

16-03-2015 03:07 PM

Dog become curious if you are fearful if anything, not so much super aggressive and attack people. ... Lashing out at a dog however is more likely to provoke a violent response.

I totally appreciate people are scared of dogs, or even just cautious, which is why mine stay on lead at all times. Not a huge fan of off lead in public places at the best of times, due to the uncertainty of the actions of all dogs and humans involved in their interactions.

To bat the word 'attack' around like it happens all the time, and whenever humans and dogs interact is a little worrying, and certainly not something to lead kids to believe.

Caution is your friend for sure, as is being respectable of the surroundings you are in.

Im not a fan of peoples dogs running up to mine off lead, nor running around kids. My one and only experience of the dog off lead meeting people was in Crystal Palace with 2 rather drunk people having a picnic in an area most people didn't venture. It resulted in an off lead Tuvaaq devouring their picnic, and 2 very stunned and maybe afraid people sitting very still.

I of course offered to pay for the food, and apologised. And they have not been off lead in any public area since.

Sadly there will always be those who don't want to walk with their dogs, and feel everyone else should put up with their running around and faeces. And on the flip side there will always be those who over react to a safe encounter. Unlike the muppet who decided to confront Tuvaaq on his walk this morning, most strange.

dartmouth

24-03-2015 10:59 AM

As a dog walker who rarely lets his dog off the lead for fear of him running off, I am getting increasingly annoyed by the gaggle of dogwalkers who pay no attention to other dog walkers who are trying to control their dogs on the lead. Mayow Park has become terrible for (usually the same) group of dog walkers who walk together and allow their dogs to run off the lead and approach dogs being walked on the leash.

As a reminder to all, dogs being walked on the lead are invariably being trained or are being deliberately being kept on a lead for health reasons/recovery from surgery etc. Dog owners who run their dog off the lead should respect that and keep distance and if they are not able to control their dog well enough to ensure this distance is maintained, then they too should be doing some lead training perhaps!

Dogs should actually be only let off lead in the dog area of the park, which does happen to be immediately next to the wonderful new cafe. I now avoid walking at times which I know will be busy for the cafe as this area has now turned into a play area of the many toddlers using the cafe. This is a slight shame as there is no other area of the park where dogs are technically allowed off lead.

Snazy

24-03-2015 12:10 PM

Nicely put Dartmouth....

Mine stay on the lead as their interactions with other dogs tend to cause alarm to the other owner. Not aggressive, just not completely passive.

The number of times dogs have bounded over and the owner shouts those infamous words...."he's ok".... Only to get the reply.."mine isn't" Thumbup

Some people, just like with kids etc, want all the fun but none of the responsibility. Same sort of person who lets their dogs mess without clearing it up.

dartmouth

24-03-2015 01:44 PM

I will try that response next time!

Snazy

24-03-2015 07:37 PM

Its worth it just for the faces ! Wow

But obviously the breed depends on the reaction. 2 x 110lbs Malamutes get quite the reaction lol

dartmouth

30-03-2015 08:49 AM

Yes I think you might have more success than I with that tactic.....a small fluffy shihtzu doesn't really have the same fear factor!

Snazy

30-03-2015 12:18 PM

You are welcome to borrow one of mine for added effect Rofl

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lark in the Park @ Mayow Park Sat 15th July hillview 0 3,204 11-07-2017 06:13 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Supporting Cricket in Mayow Park Mayow Park 2 6,223 13-05-2017 11:37 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Dacres Wood and Mayow Park Birdwalk, 7.30 am April 9th dacreswood 0 2,730 03-04-2017 08:31 AM
Last Post: dacreswood
  Lark in the Park - Mayow Park - Sat 18th June michael 0 3,551 14-06-2016 06:57 AM
Last Post: michael
  Dacres Wood and Mayow Park birds dacreswood 1 3,822 14-03-2016 08:43 AM
Last Post: dacreswood
  Free dog micro-chipping at Mayow Park on Wed 15/7/15 admin 0 3,356 11-07-2015 09:19 AM
Last Post: admin
  2015 Mayow Park Cricket fixtures Tim Lund 0 3,668 25-03-2015 02:49 PM
Last Post: Tim Lund
  Mayow Park, 3 - 5pm, Wed 25th March Tim Lund 0 3,615 21-03-2015 12:16 PM
Last Post: Tim Lund
  bowling green mayow park lowtit 0 4,184 26-08-2014 07:00 AM
Last Post: lowtit
  Mayow Park Picnic, next Sunday Mayow Park 0 3,931 24-08-2014 05:23 PM
Last Post: Mayow Park
  Mayow Park Volunteers this Thursday Mayow Park 0 3,475 24-02-2014 08:26 PM
  Mayow Park Meeting Tomorrow at 1.00 Mayow Park 0 3,610 24-01-2014 01:22 PM
  Mayow Park Pavilion Entrance to close Monday Mayow Park 1 4,039 15-01-2014 12:00 PM
  Mayow Park, gardening volunteers next Saturday Mayow Park 0 3,666 01-12-2013 06:45 PM
  Mayow Park Pavilion Mayow Park 3 7,504 21-10-2013 07:45 PM
  For those who missed 'The remarkable race of 1913' in Mayow Park Mayow Park 0 3,275 18-07-2013 09:07 PM
  Are you a regular in Mayow Park? Mayow Park 4 6,786 12-07-2013 08:16 AM
  Horse Chestnut down in Mayow Park Mayow Park 3 6,199 24-06-2013 04:55 PM
Last Post: dartmouth
  Mayow Park Cricket, 2013 Mayow Park 11 13,095 27-05-2013 07:57 PM
  Exciting day in Mayow Park Mayow Park 1 4,623 20-03-2013 03:14 PM