SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Wine making co-op
davidwhiting

02-09-2008 08:30 PM

I used to brew my own 30 or so years ago, and also tried my hand at cider making from my apple tree and 'wine' from some other fruits. It's quite good fun, and there is something magical about the transformation of a container of sludgy, bubbling liquid into something crystal clear.

'Two Brewers' off license in Forest Hill was then one of the best known home brewing sundries shop, owned by the people who set up Provender. There must be other suppliers still in business, and they should be able to advise, and also supply equipment, sterilising materials and yeast,

I suspect that you needn't be in for too much outlay to start with. We planted a couple of vines that didn't do as well as yours seem to have done - blame global warming - so it didn't seem worth spending money on expensive kit. However, the only really expensive item seemed to be the press. Fermentation and storage vessels shouldn't break the bank. I wonder whether it wouldn't be worth trying a dry (or should I say 'test') run using a kitchen juice extractor to see what results you might get, and if your first results seem at least redeemable with practice, buying the press only then.

I received a fair amount of advice, but will only pass on the fairly obvious: 'remove your socks before treading the grapes'.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Wine making co-op - ladywotlunches - 02-09-2008, 02:19 PM
RE: Wine making co-op - steveb - 02-09-2008, 06:09 PM
RE: Wine making co-op - davidwhiting - 02-09-2008 08:30 PM
RE: Wine making co-op - baggydave - 02-09-2008, 11:41 PM
RE: Wine making co-op - Andy - 03-09-2008, 09:53 AM
RE: Wine making co-op - ladywotlunches - 03-09-2008, 10:43 AM