SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Dog mess outside my house
moschops_

02-02-2015 07:37 PM

Hello,

A neighbourhood dog keeps doing its mess outside my house, at least once a week. I shan't describe it, suffice to say it's got to be the same dog. I'm out of the house a lot so I have never seen it happen in the two years I've been here.

Any suggestions to what I could do to prevent it? I'm not interested in confrontation or aggression. I'm a reasonable man. I'd ideally like to talk to whoever it is to get them to stop. But failing that, does anyone have any ideas on how to stop it?

M

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

03-02-2015 09:58 AM

Dogs tend to go where they smell toilet. I suggest you clean up the mess and mix up a weak solution of bleach and water and pour the diluted bleach over the area. The smell of the bleach should deter the dog or dogs. dogs have a very strong sense of smell. So you only need a little bleach.

Snazy

03-02-2015 12:20 PM

Moschops, I feel your pain. I recently had a rather large deposit left a little way up my driveway. I have suspicions of which dog and owner are responsible, but can't prove it.
There is another dog and owner who regularly walk on my street, and their dog loves dropping a load up the road from me. Quite irritating when the neighbour confronted me while I was walking my dogs and accused me, outright, no doubt.

As a dog owner it is REALLY irritating to see other owners allowing their dogs to do this, and even more annoying being blamed for someone elses behaviour.

With regards to stopping it, you can sadly sometimes find that a strong smelling cleaner will actually encourage a dog mess. Hope you get to the bottom of it though. These people need fining. Especially the phantom crapper of Church Rise!

Beige

03-02-2015 01:01 PM

I've found dog mess on my pathway twice in the last year - very annoying. I fitted a gate closer, but apparently chilli flakes would 'encourage them to move on'.

moschops_

03-02-2015 08:53 PM

Thanks everyone.

@Sherwood, I'll try your suggestion first I think. Thank you.

@Snazy - "Hope you get to the bottom of it" haha! I agree with you, I don't want to start accosting dog walkers on the street, that'd be very unfair because I bet most of them are responsible.

@Beige - I'd be very annoyed too if it was on my property. In my case, it's just on the public path outside my house - but that's infuriating enough!

I'm going to try @Sherwood's advice first, I may also write a large polite notice in chalk on the path outside my house.

Snazy

04-02-2015 04:21 PM

Oops, no pun was intended with 'bottom' lol
Sounds like you have a level head about the matter, fingers crossed it stops. Really am gonna make an effort to find the one from my street though, irritates me no end.

Glad you won't be accosting me for walking 'a' dog. Smile

Just wish these people would learn some decency.

derbybill

04-02-2015 05:08 PM

Suggest you try Pepper Dust: basically it's ground black pepper, so maybe try that first! I think it makes the dog sneeze which it doesn't like and after a few times it won't be stopping outside your house.
You can probably buy this at a pharmacy or garden centre like Shannon's but there may be other more effective products.

Snazy

05-02-2015 06:26 PM

Whatever you try, please of course be mindful of the owners of, and the dogs who are not responsible for these other peoples and dogs actions.

Londondrz

06-02-2015 10:32 AM

I think it is time to bring back the poo flags. This draws attention to it.

Snazy

06-02-2015 01:13 PM

The way things are going, you are gonna need an awful lot of them! Maybe if they are stabbed into the owners of the offenders it would help?

No Longer Registered

06-02-2015 02:00 PM

Bizarrely I have recently seen a number of used and knotted dog poo bags left on the pavement/path. What is all that about? The dog walker has cleared up but then can't be bothered to carry the bag to the nearest bin. I don't mind picking up a bit of rubbish on my rambles but so far I haven't summoned up a strong enough sense of civic duty to deal with these items.

Snazy

06-02-2015 02:49 PM

152047 I don't blame you. I don't get it either. Bought the bags, cleaned up after the dog...... then left it! Confused Just doesn't make sense at all.

Some truly strange people out there, most of which should probably not have kids, let alone pets.

moschops_

08-03-2015 05:01 PM

Thought I'd report back.

I tried @Sherwood's suggestion and it worked. I scrubbed down the public path outside my house and did the same to my fence. I scrubbed thoroughly with a broom and hot water with a mild amount of bleach.

However, this might not be the reason it worked...

While I was cleaning, a couple of local dog walkers saw what I was doing and no doubt saw the look of anger on my face. One regular dog walker even crossed the road to avoid me while I was cleaning (and cursing). My guess is that one of those dog owners could have been the culprit and is now thinking twice before letting their dog mess in front of my house.

Either way, it seems to have stopped for now.

Snazy

09-03-2015 12:37 PM

Great news Smile

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields