SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Fireplace shop on Honor Oak Park
Jon Lloyd

04-11-2007 09:47 AM

Hi
This has been 'To Let' now for ages. Does anyone know what it might be turned into?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jon Lloyd

05-11-2007 01:19 PM

Looks like no-one knows what's happpneing to this site then?

Jon Lloyd

05-11-2007 02:18 PM

I don't deserve an answer with that spelling anyway.

larry

05-11-2007 04:53 PM

i heard that it was to going to become a beauty parlour/ health spa type thing for the ladies.
but it doesn't look like much is happening to it.
i think it should become a good quality burger joint (similar to gourmet burger) or a place to eat authentic oven baked pizza. reckon it would do good business too...
anyone????

Jon Lloyd

05-11-2007 08:22 PM

Butcher
Greengrocer (a good one)
Coffee shop
Bakery
Chocolate/cake shop

But it will probably be either a betting shop or estate agent if we don't find out soon!

davidl

06-11-2007 11:49 AM

Larry wrote:
i think it should become a good quality burger joint (similar to gourmet burger) or a place to eat authentic oven baked pizza.

Apparently the pizzas in La Querce (down at the bottom of HOP near the Chandos) are "authentic" and really good - though they don't do them every day.

I can't vouch for it myself - but there was a thread on here before the move where someone recommended trying it.

Dave

larry

06-11-2007 12:27 PM

i find it strange that they dont do pizzas everyday. I was under the impression that it was only on a thursday night or some-such.
i know there's a cost for wood etc, but surely pizzas at the weekend would increase business. Everyone loves a pizza. Maybe they think they're treading on the toes of the other pizza like cardboard places. Not even 'The Old Bank' has pizza on the menu. Quite odd for a so called Italian restaurant.

Jon Lloyd

06-11-2007 12:35 PM

Burgers - yes. The sorely missed Red Room (now Tapastry - not tried it I'm ashamed to admit) used to do great burgers. In fact, having the Red Room on that corner would be perfect for me.

This post was last modified: 06-11-2007 12:36 PM by Jon Lloyd.

larry

06-11-2007 01:00 PM

I'm glad you agree.
it's a great location for some sort of eatery.
if i had the money i would start one right now!
I believe it would be a success.

RussB

06-11-2007 01:15 PM

We've already got loads of eateries, I'd prefer a butchers (preferably in time for the xmas ham Smile)

Johnc

06-11-2007 02:59 PM

We did have a futon shop when I first moved to the area. Or if an eatery is on the cards how about a Japanese or a good quality chop house.

shzl400

06-11-2007 03:04 PM

I seem to remember that the one opposite (now Jumping Bean) used to be a greengrocers.

I think we have enough evening eateries (and that Le Querce is overrated!), but that it would be a great location for some sort of daytime food outlet or cafe.

larry

06-11-2007 03:19 PM

shzl400 wrote:
I seem to remember that the one opposite (now Jumping Bean) used to be a greengrocers.

I think we have enough evening eateries (and that Le Querce is overrated!), but that it would be a great location for some sort of daytime food outlet or cafe.

Is Honor Oak busy enough during the day to support a business like that?
Even on Saturday afternoon it seems quiet. Even tapestry isn't open then!
A deli/ bakery would be a great idea though. I'm sure the med deli owner wouldn't be best pleased however....

Ghis

06-11-2007 03:43 PM

We have a deli already and Antony's organic bread is really nice.
We have now quite a lot of restaurants too.

I would love a health shop/spa place a bit like the one further down in Forest Hill road by the post office. I have been looking for a local place for high quality manicures, pedicures, massages and beauty treatments.

honoracorn

12-11-2007 08:49 AM

According to the Willmotts website the shop is "Under Offer", although it has been for sometime now with nothing really happening. I'm working from home at the moment so have been monitoring the busyness of the parade during the daytime and it just seems really dead. Unlike Lordship Lane, there seems to be no activity but is that because there is nothing to draw people there or is it because there is no real market of people to go there during the day? In other words, if the parade had a butcher, fishmonger, little cafe, etc would it be buzzing with people?

I'd love to take on that shop and create something that people in the area would want but I just can't see it working. Any thoughts?

larry

12-11-2007 11:06 AM

I agree totally. its funny how 50 years ago the parade of shops would be filled with all the services we would love to now have. and now, after the boom of superstores and such-like shuting these places down, we all want them back!!

i can only hope that the new rail network will encourage future development. we live in a great place that has such potential to be fantastic.
The people are here, but alas they mostly work in town, so they daytime is quiet. and come the weekends, i guess Lordship lane etc has the quality of shops that attract. But, HOP is growing with a 'younger' (does that mean more
? ??) crowd. The success of 'the honor oak ' pub proves that there is a market. personally, i'm waiting for the Chandos to do the same thing! where do we go on a saturday lunchtime for a drink and some food? i know we can head into Forest Hill which has some great places, but i would love a local establishment. Does it take much? For example, the local deli we have could start serving eat in food. and what of shopping?! ID and jumping bean are great, and the caledonia shop on the parade is a secret winner. But there could be more. am i just being greedy??? maybe..

When i lived in balham, it was a pretty ropey place and suddenly 8 years later its like a metroplis.
Hey, i'm not saying we should or could be like balham, but it proves that places turn around. Crystal Palace is another place not dissimilar to FH and HOP.
Is it a case of if you build it they will come?? i would love to say so.
maybe a community run store is what we need? run by the people for the people. maybe i'm just dreaming..
But i am positive for the future. our lifestyles are improving. we know what we want. all it takes is a person with a bit of clout to start something and see the return and the rest will hopefully follow.

evanick

12-11-2007 11:30 AM

It would be good to have a bakery here. Like that shop in Sydenham called Cake Store.

honoracorn

12-11-2007 11:39 AM

another thing that baffles me is how busy HOP station is in the morning with everyone going into the centre of London. I've noticed the demographic change of these commuters over the last 5 years (seems to be getting younger) yet i never see any of these people around HOP during the weekends. Where does eveybody go?

evanick

12-11-2007 11:44 AM

People do not usually walk, unless they have small children and take them for a walk. otherwise, they just jump in the car and drive somewhere where the shops (or supermarkets are) I guess.

honoracorn

12-11-2007 11:49 AM

larry wrote:
I agree totally. its funny how 50 years ago the parade of shops would be filled with all the services we would love to now have. and now, after the boom of superstores and such-like shuting these places down, we all want them back!!

i can only hope that the new rail network will encourage future development. we live in a great place that has such potential to be fantastic.
The people are here, but alas they mostly work in town, so they daytime is quiet. and come the weekends, i guess Lordship lane etc has the quality of shops that attract. But, HOP is growing with a 'younger' (does that mean more
? ??) crowd. The success of 'the honor oak ' pub proves that there is a market. personally, i'm waiting for the Chandos to do the same thing! where do we go on a saturday lunchtime for a drink and some food? i know we can head into Forest Hill which has some great places, but i would love a local establishment. Does it take much? For example, the local deli we have could start serving eat in food. and what of shopping?! ID and jumping bean are great, and the caledonia shop on the parade is a secret winner. But there could be more. am i just being greedy??? maybe..

When i lived in balham, it was a pretty ropey place and suddenly 8 years later its like a metroplis.
Hey, i'm not saying we should or could be like balham, but it proves that places turn around. Crystal Palace is another place not dissimilar to FH and HOP.
Is it a case of if you build it they will come?? i would love to say so.
maybe a community run store is what we need? run by the people for the people. maybe i'm just dreaming..
But i am positive for the future. our lifestyles are improving. we know what we want. all it takes is a person with a bit of clout to start something and see the return and the rest will hopefully follow.

Yes, Larry, I pray for the day that the Chandos is closed down but i fear it won't be in my lifetime. The only businesses that are busy during the day are the greasy spoons. Daytime businesses obviously rely on housewives/househusbands, new mums on maternity leave, partime or homeworkers. Maybe the reason ED does so well is that it is the Nappy Valley of SE London. I don't get the sense that HOP is the same but I would happily be proved wrong. Any new Mums out there?

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sad demise of the car park kebab shop Erekose 27 26,842 05-09-2014 12:54 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  63 Honor Oak Park (ex White Wood Shop) lacb 133 149,784 07-11-2013 01:20 PM
Last Post: oryx
  The old Honor Oak Pet Shop Cheeky 23 22,783 04-02-2013 10:15 AM
Last Post: Sparkles
  Old Fireplace Shop in HOP milliebear 7 8,300 15-05-2008 12:52 PM