SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Kilmorie School - thoughts?
pez

02-02-2015 06:37 AM

Hi our 4 year old starts school in September and we have Kilmorie school down as our first choice. It's by far our closest school as well so will most likely be where our child ends up.

Would be great to here thoughts & opinions on the school from local parents as we are slightly nervous about the sheer size of the school. For example is the teaching of a high standard? Are the pupils pushed enough to achieve their best? What's the discipline & pastoral care like?

Many thanks!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hellohello

02-02-2015 09:31 AM

Both my children are there and we love it, we too were worried about the size of the school but Liz Stone, the headmistress, runs the school so well it just doesn't make any impact at all. The pastoral care in Reception is brilliant, the head of year is just lovely. My daughter is in reception and was a very nervous child and she loves it & loves going to school every day. The teaching standards are really high, the work my son is doing in Y2 is really advanced. As you can tell, we are great fans and it wasn't actually my first choice, we had put Dalmain down but I am so glad we are at Kilmorie, it really is a wonderful and very unique school.

CatfordBorders

02-02-2015 02:05 PM

I agree don't let the size put you off, it's a great school and my children are very happy there. Teaching is of a high quality and pastoral care seems excellent as well. I can't really fault it, it is a great school.

pez

04-02-2015 07:38 AM

Thank you for your posts, sounds like we don't need to be too worried!

Jane2

04-02-2015 01:32 PM

Hi I have 3 children at Kilmorie and all are very happy and doing well. Yes, the school is fairly big (the way many London schools are going now due to population increase) but it doesn't feel that way - the Head Liz Stone has a way of keeping the school friendly and personal. Standards are high, and all children are really encouraged to do their best. Music and art provision are great and there's a wide variety of extra-curricular activities. If you have any worries you can talk to Liz Stone she is fantastic!

equi

04-02-2015 11:31 PM

Just to add to the positive consensus, we are v happy with kilmorie - a fantastic school, with excellent teaching standards and culture. Liz does a terrific job, striking a good balance between study and encouraging extra-curricular interests. Have a look on Twitter @kilmorieschool for a peak into some of the activities.

bluesuperted

13-02-2015 12:41 PM

Agree with all the praise for Kilmorie. My son is also in reception (was previously at the nursery) and runs into school every day, is doing great 'academically', is known by many many pupils of different ages and it feels like all staff we come across know him too, they are certainly very warm and friendly towards all the kids. It doesn't feel that big at all and just has a lovely, buzzy community feel. Liz is an excellent head and the school is light, spacious and has a huge playground (with AstroTurf!). It was our first choice, although we were just as close to Dalmain, and we are so glad we got it!

CatfordBorders

13-02-2015 02:05 PM

I agree about the playground as well - it's fantastic for an urban school. The astroturf is great and there are "wild" bits to explore and play in. There are bird boxes and there is even a gardening after school club which is very popular.

I really think it is such a wonderful school, you shouldn't hesitate to send your child there.

pez

13-02-2015 08:54 PM

Great feedback all round, sounds like a great school. Just hope we get in now!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  beautiful tree at rear of Kilmorie school willnige 0 2,357 01-02-2020 01:26 PM
Last Post: willnige
  Kilmorie or Perrymount School? klove 1 4,107 17-04-2016 07:55 PM
Last Post: Local Girl
  Vintage Christmas Fair at Kilmorie Primary School BMSE23 1 5,519 02-12-2014 09:42 PM
Last Post: Jane2
  Kilmorie or Dalmain school ForestHill Mum 7 9,798 06-12-2013 10:07 AM
Last Post: ForestHill Mum
  Kilmorie school Lizzie 11 15,698 12-03-2012 08:24 AM
Last Post: P1971
  Consultation on Kilmorie school becoming three form entry school Jane2 23 24,427 11-02-2011 07:46 PM
Last Post: roz