SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Forest Hill Internet Access
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

07-01-2015 01:38 PM

Afternoon all. Apparently there is a 'problem with the network' in Forest Hill which is affecting internet access. I've endured call centre hell this morning trying to find out what is happening but all they will tell me is that there is a network issue affecting the area which should be fixed by 14 January!

I wondered how many people this was affecting and whether anyone else had any more information. For info, I am in the Taymount Rise area and I'm with Virgin Media.

I noticed some cabling activity opposite the tesco garage but assumed that was to do with the junction changes.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jenros

07-01-2015 02:53 PM

Ok in manor mount, we're with talk talk

Tinkerbell

07-01-2015 05:29 PM

Internet services in SE23 were taken over by Southern Rail on 1st January. Did you not get that memo? Expect "fantastic 2-bytes per hour, less at peak times, occasional disruptions may occur but prices will go up regardless" type services from now on. Cool

This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 05:29 PM by Tinkerbell.

Mattfh

07-01-2015 05:47 PM

The outage was specific to Virgin Media and started late last night; according to their customer service rep I spoke with around 8 this morning we have all been getting an speed upgrade (although that could just be one of those off-the-shelf excuses) which was due to be finished this evening although our connection has been back, bar a few blips, since around 2:30.

Tinkerbell

07-01-2015 06:19 PM

Thanks for the info Mattfh - that's interesting actually. I'm also with VM, but haven't had any problems. I work from home so have been online pretty much all day since 7am, at the HOP end of SE23. I had a lot of problems in mid-December, though. The "by 14th January" scares me a bit, hope that doesn't mean it'll affect my line as well at some point, I pretty much rely on it working well. (have a dongle as a reserve, but not ideal)

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

07-01-2015 09:09 PM

Thanks MattFH. Ours also came back at close to that time. Glad you got more sense from VM than I did.

Interesting about the speed upgrade. When I checked online it said SE23 wasn't due it until July to December 2015.

Anyhow, some warning would have been nice. I lost a day's pay as a result of not being able to work from home. Their own online service status tool didn't even seem aware that there were problems and it took the chap on the phone a couple of minutes to work out there actually was a problem.

CrustyRack

11-01-2015 04:11 PM

I'm with sky and(touch wood) no problems with Internet in 12 years. If I ever hear moans about providers from friends who live scattered across london it is Always Virgin media. I would never use them.

rshdunlop

11-01-2015 05:26 PM

Aah, now, I need some advice. We have Sky for TV, but our neighbour's tree has grown to such a height that we lose half our channels every summer. So we will probably have to move to Virgin in the next couple of months.

We are currently on BT Infinity and OH is keen to move our broadband over to Virgin too to get the fibre optic speeds. We've only ever had one outage with BT broadband in 10+ years, but I too hear complaints about Virgin internet. Obviously we'll get a better deal with Virgin if we get both TV and broadband from them.

But is it worth the risk?

Snazy

11-01-2015 06:24 PM

In the 6-7 years I have been with Virgin there has been very little disruption to my service. Love it all to be honest.

PS re the speed upgrades, its been coming and talked about for a few months, so not just an excuse. Can't wait for my next free increase Smile

This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 06:25 PM by Snazy.

rshdunlop

11-01-2015 06:26 PM

Good to know, thanks Snazy.

robin orton

11-01-2015 07:07 PM

We too have had TV, landline telephone and broadband from Virgin for many years. Generally speaking we have been very satisfied, and the customer service seems to have improved over the years. There have been occasional broadband outages, including a series of mysterious and unexplained very short (up to half an hour or so) outages over the past few weeks, usually in mid-afternoon - perhaps something to do with upgrading?

Snazy

12-01-2015 10:51 AM

Same here Robin, thankfully the option to throw everything over to my 4G connection for a bit saves the day. Hopefully almost all done now eh.

Any idea if you are definitely switching RSH ?

pasque flower

12-01-2015 12:53 PM

We are with VM too. I had no internet 6th & 7th January. Seems to be working fine at the moment Blush

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who is the best internet provider in Forest Hill? crochetlady18 12 11,499 27-08-2021 03:46 PM
Last Post: rbmartin