SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fibre optic in Forest Hill
Digno

03-03-2014 05:34 PM

I'm looking to get fibre optic broadband but BT tells me that fibre optic is not available in my area. That's strange as, on the Openreach website, the Forest Hill exchange is already listed as accepting fibre optic orders. I was wondering if anyone had fibre optic in Forest Hill and if so which provider they were using. If not, any info as to the fastest non-fibre optic provider would be much appreciated. Thanks

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
clausy

03-03-2014 06:14 PM

The Honor Oak Rd green switch boxes are advertising BT Fiber but I called (from Waldenshaw) and they said no, not yet. The fiber is ready, but the exchange still needs to be upgraded. They did say they'd email as soon as it was available so that they could take more money off me.

daveherne

03-03-2014 07:36 PM

I have fibre in HOP. Did you call them, for me the webiste said not but it was available when I called.

Benderish

03-03-2014 08:40 PM

I have virgin fibre on Sacred Road. I think Virgin haave the whole area covered

davidl

04-03-2014 09:36 AM

The Forest Hill exchange on Stanstead Road does have fibre enabled, but you need to live somewhere where the cable has been laid.

With BT, in some bits of SE23, we have access to a pilot with fibre running all the way to the house, while in others the more standard "fibre-to-the-cabinet" is available.

I'd definitely say it's worth calling BT to check.

In response to the other poster, Virgin Media fibre is available in "some areas" of SE23, but coverage is far from comprehensive.

Here's a handy link which shows with minimal jargon what the coverage/options are: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSFOR

Digno

04-03-2014 11:39 AM

Thanks guys. I've called BT, Plusnet, Virgin and Sky and they all seem to think that no fibre optic is available in my area (London Road) despite the exchange having been updated. I'll just have to wait and have standard broadband in the meantime. Thanks

bilgewater

14-03-2014 07:04 PM

I have BT fibre (FTTH), at the HOP end of Devonshire Road, since middle of last year.

Chris88

15-03-2014 01:18 PM

I live near London Road and contacted Openreach directly (took them something like 6 weeks to reply) - but they advised my cabinet was schedule to be activated in May 2014.

So I would check with them again around that time.

clausy

20-03-2014 12:21 PM

They've been installing a new cabinet on Waldenshaw Rd for the last couple of days: fingers crossed... Thumbup

lacb

12-05-2014 02:53 PM

bilgewater, you got it at the right time. Though FTTP exists for sure, there is none now available at HOP end of Devonshire Road. BT can't give a schedule when they will enable more cabinets... and OpenReach just can't be contacted it seems.

Fish Face

27-11-2014 02:15 PM

Anyone know if Virgin Media will be available in Devonshire Road?

fizzmoll

27-11-2014 04:57 PM

I talked to Virgin about getting a setup on Devonshire Road about 12 months ago. Back then they said that they had no plans to extend their network to cover Devonshire road, so I went with the BT fibre instead, which has been really good. The only problem with BT is that you need to pay for a landline - with virgin you can get a broad-band only deal which is pretty neat.

Swashbuckler

28-11-2014 07:07 PM

I have FTTP to the premises on Devonshire Road with BT. A right hassle to get installed, but now its here I will admit that its awesome

http://www.foresthill.org.uk/warp-speed-and-beyond/

johnfbw

18-12-2014 06:19 PM

They try their hardest to pretend FTTP doesn't exist. I've had it to the Forest Hill end of Devonshire Road for most of the year via Plusnet (on BT lines/fibres)

Fish Face

11-01-2015 12:25 AM

I've gone with BT now.
The guys on the support desk say Infinity doesn't exist on Devonshire Road although they say the cabling is in place.
An BT engineer who was literally outisde my house told me Infinity definitely is available.
ConfusedConfusedConfused

jackcosmo

11-01-2015 05:30 PM

Hi,
Has anyone got a fibre optic broadband on Honor Oak Park? Everything seems to suggest that it should be available but when searching providers online it says otherwise.
Thanks

lacb

12-01-2015 10:20 AM

It's frustrating this. At HOP end of Devonshire Road, don't have fibre (FTTP) but have neighbours who do. My understanding is that it exists at exchange level but can't be installed because they have run out of space in the cabinets. So they need to install more but don't, AFAICT, plan to. All I can suggest is that you register your interest in it - don't know if that helps, perhaps if enough people do it will. You can't even email OpenReach, who are the only ones who may be in the know, any more to get more info. So much for unbundling the local loop!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields