SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (17): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
London Bridge trains - here's the best and the worst peak services
Sherwood

23-12-2014 11:27 AM

I got on an Overground train to Canada Water yesterday. It was quite a surprise when at Canada Water it pulled into the southbound platform!

My guess is they may put on more of these short journey trains to ease the pressure.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rbmartin

23-12-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:
I got on an Overground train to Canada Water yesterday. It was quite a surprise when at Canada Water it pulled into the southbound platform!

My guess is they may put on more of these short journey trains to ease the pressure.

The extra trains are timetabled in during the peaks until tomorrow. This is why New Cross doesn't have any Overground services currently as they'd be on that branch instead.

lacb

23-12-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:
lacb, I actually wrote to Southern a while back asking why there wasn't a 6pm train as it seems ridiculous when otherwise they are on the half hour!

I just got an evasive/standard reply - in fact tonight as I had to change at Norwood Junction yet again I thought about digging out the email and pursuing it again.

As have I and in fact even started an issue on Fix My Transport for this - did not get much traction sadly and now that my commute has changed have not pursued it either. They are not interested and I suspect won't be until such time as TfL run this and actually put service before profit. Don't hold your breath.

See here where we communicated on this before:
http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8793

Having said all that East Croydon may get a round of improvements itself, a la Thameslink, which would probably help massively http://www.londonreconnections.com/2014/...t-croydon/ - more disruption to look forward to!

michael

28-12-2014 11:07 PM

Here's the definitive response on changing at Canada Water from 15th January:

Quote:
We have consequently developed a list of stations, in agreement with DfT and Network Rail, at which we will accept London Terminals tickets. Canada Water is not included in that list on the grounds that all customers originating across the Borough of Lewisham can reach London Bridge in the period to August 2016 without using Canada Water station. Moreover we are already expecting a significant increase in customer numbers at Canada Water from January as customers holding travelcards divert via the East London Line.

This will make it very challenging to operate and manage Canada Water station and any further increase in customers may be untenable, to the detriment of all. As a result it is our judgement that the risks to operations and existing customers are likely to outweigh any marginal benefits to those customers that would prefer to interchange at Canada Water rather than at London Bridge.

In other words, they can only cater for my preferred travel route if I buy a travelcard rather than a London Terminals ticket. Buying such a ticket will somehow make it tenable, rather than 'untenable' if I were travelling with a London Terminals ticket on the same route.

Hopefully I won't forget which train to get on with my London Terminals ticket, especially when they cancel or delay trains.

nottinghillbilly

28-12-2014 11:37 PM

I must confess I do find the inefficient train services to and from Forest hill into town the only negative thing about living here.
Most weekends there seems to be some sort of closure on the overground
And when you do manage to get a train its always packed...Add that to the hell of the down escalator to the Jubilee line at Canada Water and I actually look forward to being on my late shifts at work when the grimness of getting home at 11pm is actually eclipsed by the relief of getting a seat on the overground and not facing the crush at the canada water interchange.
Since Boxing day its been particularly awful without a car having to get to work at Bond St by 8.30am has involved having no option but to get the bus.
Tomorrow the Overground is working again but guess what...Theres no Jubilee Line between Waterloo and Finchley Road.Mad

Nick M

29-12-2014 04:05 PM

So, breathtakingly, it is now officially acknowledged that Canada Water is at breaking point and a strain to manage. It would be interesting to know what forecasting, passenger usage modelling, planning and scenario testing they did when the station was converted for use by the overground and therefore why they built so ineffectually without any future-proofing, or even present-proofing (and very specifically what loon thought one down escalator would suffice between the overground and Jubilee line). I assume the rebuilding of London Bridge and Crossrail major infrastructure developments might also have been know at the time. I've a good mind to ask just such FOI questions.

Sherwood

29-12-2014 08:03 PM

The Overground trains were originally only going to be three carriage trains!

This post was last modified: 29-12-2014 08:04 PM by Sherwood.

Decker

30-12-2014 01:27 AM

I think Crossrail will take some of the pressure off Canada Water. Although, population growth will probably negate any benefit. You'll still have to queue up to use the escalators no matter what Thumbsup

Forest Hill is pretty spoilt for trains in terms of frequency. Probably one of the best in London for any non-major/non-interchange type station. People have realised this which is why the population density along the line is has gone through the roof.

We have 13 between 7-8am, 12 between 8-9am.
4 from London Bridge on the way home. 6 from Canada Water = 10.

Can you imagine living in East Dulwich where they get maybe 5 an hour? And there's only ONE route. No backup/2nd option (probably say this for most of the South East) We are spoilt!

Tinkerbell

30-12-2014 10:15 AM

Nick M - I couldn't agree more.

SteveG85

30-12-2014 10:37 AM

Decker, re: your closing comment - I assumed you had missed the original post in this thread so was about to point you to it. However, as it was you that made it I can only assume you're aware of the minor issues* on trains to London Bridge recently**.

Minor gripes aside though, I do of course agree that we have good travel options in Forest Hill and I have been pleasantly surprised by how reliable the Overground has been so far this week (probably because the sensible majority of people are still on Christmas holidays!).

I'm not sure I share your optimism with respect to Crossrail, although the Bakerloo line extension may help a little too.

* totally catastrophic service
** over the last 6-12 months

rbmartin

30-12-2014 01:12 PM

Crossrail will at least give us another back up when Southern from London Bridge has problems.

I still think Canada Water will take the bulk of passengers post 2018, yet if you're going to Tottenham Court Road, Bond Street or Paddington, or even across to Stratford, the Crossrail option is a more viable option than changing for the Jubilee.

Nick M

30-12-2014 10:07 PM

I don't understand the 'we are spoilt' argument. They are not doing us a favour. At some stage, despite appearances, someone did do some passenger usage analysis and they run the trains where the is most revenue and most demand. Probably their franchise dictates this. I don't understand the argument that they are somehow spoiling us. It's a contract, which we pay for in our fares - and in our time when there are delays (money is not the only resource). They are breaking the terms of the contract. in what other area would we be so blasé about incompetence and inability to fulfil a contract?

Medley

31-12-2014 12:01 PM

Nick M - if only train franchising worked on the basis of logic, as you imply.

But I agree that it's not about being spoiled. The reality is that the London B service, when running, copes fine in the peak. But the Overground is worryingly overcrowded, and that's going to get worse.

Crossrail will help, but that's half a decade away still. I think they'll have to rebuild Canada Water, but that's no doubt much easier said than done. Even the up escalator to go the wrong way to the Jubilee line is now getting pretty crowded, and I notice the official announcements have been sending people that way for some months now.

Sherwood

31-12-2014 02:03 PM

They may have to make both escalators down only and direct passengers who want the northbound platform to go via the booking office.

Medley

31-12-2014 03:15 PM

Am I being dense, but how do you mean both escalators down only? There's only one escalator to make anything at the key crush point - from northbound Overground platform to Jubilee line platforms.

Sherwood

01-01-2015 12:10 PM

There are two escalators. One goes down and one comes up from the Jubilee line. It does not have many passengers.

I am suggesting that to clear the crush on the platform it may be necessary to make the up escalator go down!

I am anticipating that an extremely large number of passengers will squeeze into the Overground trains when there are no mainline trains. As Overground trains can arrive every four minutes they need to clear the platform before the next train arrives.

This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 12:10 PM by Sherwood.

michael

01-01-2015 04:58 PM

Sherwood, it is a good idea but I did find out the excuse why it won't be done; the up escalator is regarded as an route for emergency evacuation from the jubilee line. I'm not sure how this can be changed but it at least explains why LOROL weren't able to reverse this escalator.

Medley

02-01-2015 11:41 AM

I'm still not getting this - how would changing the up escalator to down help? It's going to the wrong place.

rbmartin

02-01-2015 12:14 PM

At one end of the Jubilee platform, passengers in an emergency would have to go by the nearest exit, which happens to be the escalator to the northbound ELL platform, which then takes them to the ticket hall by walking along the platform and the next set of escalators.

It's quicker to evacuate using the three exits on the platform then making those at the far end of the Jubilee platform to walk to the centre of the platforms to leave.

Medley

02-01-2015 01:37 PM

Fine, but in terms of improving this interchange day to day for folk, what options are there beyond rebuilding?

The key pressure point is northbound ELL to Jubilee line - where for direct access there is just that one escalator. The only other option being the long way round - taking the up escalator to the gateline level and then laboriously down again. Just can't see this situ can go on indefinitely with existing demand, never mind increased demand.

Pages (17): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  TfL considering running the Overground into London Bridge rbmartin 46 7,427 02-04-2024 09:20 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Petition to reinstate our lost London Bridge trains nottinghillbilly 19 7,054 26-10-2023 01:00 PM
Last Post: Ger
  TfL proposed RADICAL changes to bus services in South and Central London samuelsen 12 8,328 09-07-2022 11:36 AM
Last Post: samuelsen
  London Bridge to Victoria 'Loop Line' trains - update clausy 0 3,091 08-11-2021 08:44 PM
Last Post: clausy
  Do you want more trains an hour for SE London? A Cinderella Line 5 6,778 27-11-2016 07:18 PM
Last Post: A Cinderella Line
  Cuts to London Bridge trains SEN 4 5,974 08-11-2016 03:35 PM
Last Post: Poppy9560
  London Bridge service changes SEN 3 6,091 08-09-2016 08:55 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  London Bridge to Charing Cross - How do you do it? eastofthetrack 7 10,121 19-08-2015 02:05 PM
Last Post: eastofthetrack
  Southern trains into London Bridge mrwandle 85 82,114 05-12-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: Tinkerbell
  London Bridge shut over Easter squashst 1 4,748 16-04-2014 12:01 PM
Last Post: michael
  London Bridge Irregularities this Friday 28th March michael 2 6,251 28-03-2014 09:44 AM
  24 dates without southern trains to London Bridge next year mrwandle 13 15,869 14-09-2013 01:43 PM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Southern services from London Bridge Jon Lloyd 13 15,077 07-12-2010 10:18 AM
Last Post: showtunesgirl
  Lost - between London Bridge and Fairlawn school tttttttttttttt 2 6,789 18-11-2010 10:28 AM
Last Post: tttttttttttttt
  What's going on with the 5:27am Southern Service Forest Hill to London Bridge? ukulele_lady 0 4,350 10-08-2010 07:49 AM
Last Post: ukulele_lady
  Who will use ELL and who will stick to London Bridge services? Jon Lloyd 12 14,428 27-10-2009 11:08 AM
Last Post: Mattfh
  What Platform at London Bridge loca 6 10,333 07-01-2008 02:03 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  Direct services from FH to London Victoria roz 17 20,415 22-12-2007 08:29 PM
  8:24 to London Bridge from HOP Jon Lloyd 21 26,327 23-11-2007 07:09 PM
Last Post: Londondrz