SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
Children in cafes
Anotherjohn

17-12-2014 04:49 PM

One part of the problem seems to me to be that people don't talk to each other enough in the real world any more - as opposed to venting over the Internet.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sydenhamcentral

18-12-2014 02:04 PM

I text my wife to pass the salt.

She texts back telling me to **** off.

Tarquin

18-12-2014 04:07 PM

Apparently dogs are now allowed in cafes - only guide dogs were allowed not so long ago. Biggest shocker for me is seeing toddlers given - babychinos - coffee which we all know is a drug - what next - a line of cocaine??

Anotherjohn

18-12-2014 04:26 PM

sydenhamcentral - Lovely one!
(I've had a rancid day and that's tickled me)

This post was last modified: 18-12-2014 04:28 PM by Anotherjohn.

Hamilly

18-12-2014 04:36 PM

Babychinos don't have coffee in them...just frothed milk

Tarquin

18-12-2014 04:38 PM

Thats not what I've heard.

sydenhamcentral

18-12-2014 05:37 PM

Babychinos don't have coffee in them. It's throthy milk.

That's 2-1. Whoever told you was wrong I'm afraid.

My wife just texted me to say I'm right too. This doesn't happen often, so that's 3-1.

Cafes let dogs in at their own discretion, there is no law saying that you have to let dogs into cafes, pubs or anywhere unless they are blind dogs. Refusing a guide dog is illegal.

sydenhamcentral

18-12-2014 05:40 PM

Unless it orders alcohol and is under the age of 18 of course.

OakR

18-12-2014 07:38 PM

18 in real years or dog years?

sydenhamcentral

18-12-2014 09:47 PM

In real years, blimey!

Get some pit bulls in cafes, that will keep the little blighters away. Although not if it's that bald headed bloke that talks over background music, he attracts 'em apparently.

jenros

19-12-2014 03:38 PM

Since my original post I have really enjoyed reading these posts and other peoples opinions.
Recently in Weathys there were two children running around screaming and jumping all over the sofas while we were trying to enjoy a quick bite. These were not toddlers but probably age about 7 & 9 so were old enough to know better. The parents just let them get on with it! I wanted to have a word with the parents but was worried about getting a load of abuse, which seemed quite likely.
With regard to buggies, yes some of them are a real nuisance, not just in cafe's but on public transport as well (that's another story) When my children were young I would never have considered taking them in a cafe or coffee shop (couldn't afford it).
When my grandchildren came along I kept a stroller for them when they stayed, very easily folded and put in a little corner out of the way. If parents didn't buy these massively expensive prams they could afford to buy a little stroller as well for such outings.
It seems to me that a lot of young parents do have the ME ME ME attitude, which is unfortunate as their children will probably grow up the same.
All anyone seems to care about these days are there rights, without considering their responsibilities.

RANT OVER, I'VE SAID MY PIECE

Bcm

04-01-2015 10:18 PM

Perhaps you should have taken them to one side and flogged them?

This thread reinforces the truism that just because you have kids of your own doesn't mean you have to like anyone else's, especially when you've 'done your time'. If you want to avoid annoying children, maybe avoid cafés in an area full of families. The bars in Shoreditch should suffice, though then you'll have to duck the hipsters instead. Laugh

jenros

04-01-2015 10:36 PM

Some people just can't help being downright rude can they. Forest Hill is not just home to young families it is also home to a lot of elderly people. Do you expect them to travel to Shoreditch as well!

Bcm

04-01-2015 10:46 PM

No, I just get tired of people lamenting the difference between today and the perfection of their own rose-tinted days of parenthood whilst they sit tutting into their coffees if a child so much as speaks in a public place. If someone is behaving unreasonably in a cafe, pub or anywhere else you should just tell them politely, whether that's a parent with undisciplined children, or a rude older person being passive aggressive. Maybe it will help them rethink their behaviour.

jenros

05-01-2015 01:11 AM

I'm tired of people Thinking they and their unruly kids own the world and everything and everyone in it.

sandy

05-01-2015 12:02 PM

Agree with bcm and would like to add that stereotyping 'the elderly' as not somehow interested or able to get to Shoreditch is equally unhelpful.

jenros

05-01-2015 12:12 PM

What a joke, forest hill seems to be turning into east Dulwich

Bcm

05-01-2015 02:18 PM

By that do you mean it is becoming a nice place to live for families? Yes, it is rather.

jenros

05-01-2015 02:59 PM

It's a nice place for everybody, not just families.

star

05-01-2015 06:22 PM

Not sure whether to wade in or not really! So why not!

I love kids - and am happy to see them in cafés etc. however there is a balance - and kids running around climbing on furniture/disturbing others isn't great (unless in an area designed for that!). It should be possible for everyone to co-exist with some consideration. The same as any other situation - like not speaking loudly on a phone in a cafe or one person sitting at a table for 4/6 or tutting just because someone is trying to get past with a pram (or whatever our individual irritants are).

Equally we all have bad days where we don't act quite as well as we probably should - and people get very cross/irritated very quickly. I think we should just aim to be nicer to each other!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields