SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Street Lighting - just how bad is it?
rshdunlop

27-11-2014 07:40 AM

Now I'm driving mostly in the dark again, I'm reminded how bad the new street lighting is. As a driver, I'm either peering into the dark or blinded by a light in a dip, or confused by one that makes me think there's a car coming when there isn't. At an unfamiliar junction recently I had to slow to an almost complete stop because I just couldn't see where the turn was. I'm always relieved when I reach a road that still has the old orange sodium lights.

As a pedestrian, well, I'm getting fitter as I power walk through patches of pitch dark. My children, on the other hand, are getting less fit as they wait for a bus rather than walk up our road after dark, as they no longer feels safe (unwittingly following the Police advice that I so objected to on another thread here!).

I've contacted both Lewisham and Skanska about this. They said they would review specific areas of concern I raised, but it seems to me there is a wider problem than just a few streets where they got it wrong. But then I think surely they must know what they are doing when they design these lighting plans.

So - is it just me being a grouch, or is the new lighting really quite poor, bordering on dangerous?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pippi

27-11-2014 09:28 AM

It's terrible. Been living in HOP now for nearly two years and I still can't get over how bad it is. What lighting there is, is a) too high up, and b) too diffuse / weak. The point of street lighting should be to illuminate the area directly in front of you / at your feet, not some random small area 6 metres above your head. Cursing

Londondrz

27-11-2014 09:50 AM

Not sure why yours in not good, I am surprised we don't have planes for City Airport landing on our street it is so bright.

Fish Face

27-11-2014 10:54 AM

I thought Devonshire Road was on the list to 're-light' - but it doesn't seem to have been done.

Snazy

27-11-2014 01:37 PM

My complaint about Church Rise lighting remains. Regardless of the flow of emails and tweets between all parties, I am still underwhelmed by the distribution of light poles, and the effect they have lighting the street. At least its slightly improved now the leaves have fallen.

Novels

27-11-2014 01:51 PM

The stretch of London Road between Honor Oak Road and Erdis Barber shop is dark, nobody can deny that. I think it is because of the trees.

It does not worry me but a lady who was waiting at the stop outside the Capitol asked me once to walk her up to the junction with Sydenham Hill. She said she felt unsafe on her own.

Londondrz

27-11-2014 02:06 PM

Novels, the other option for her would be to walk up the road on the Sainsbury's side then cross over.

It's a pity there is anyone who feels unsafe in FH.

That said I was wondering if it was just me or has FH started to look slightly shabby. There is loads of litter all over the place as well as chewing gum all over the pavement along with patches of spit.

The place is looking a bit sad these days.

davidl

27-11-2014 02:27 PM

I agree - the street lighting is fairly rubbish. There's absolutely no uniformity to it with random spacing between the lights. Between HOP and Brockley Rise, where I live, some streets are lit up like the Abu Dhabi F1 circuit while others are half in darkness. The lights do nothing for the opposite side of any street.

Has anyone had any constructive feedback from Skanska or the Council?

Snazy

17-06-2015 09:29 PM

Thread resurrection time...
I notice recently that Westbourne Drive is having almost all its lights repositioned now. Removing them from the trees and placing them in open spots.
It's left me wondering, firstly who in their right mind made the original an. Secondly what has made them decide to reposition them all, and finally, what other streets are being considered for reappraisal and reworking?

Anyone know anything?

Sherwood

18-06-2015 12:41 PM

They tried putting in fewer posts with brighter lights. My plan would have been more posts with dimmer lights. But my plan would be more expensive.

michael

18-06-2015 12:55 PM

It is about time they sorted out the street lights on Westbourne Drive.
It has taken almost three years to get round to it, despite assurances in 2012 that they realised they had done a poor job on this road.

jaradras

18-06-2015 01:40 PM

Lighting work started on Honor Oak Rd in September 2014, new lighting columns installed some with lamp fittings and others without. After 10 months, the work still not completed.

Honor Oak Road - Fairlawn School end some posts just been connected. Light is so dim, especially for this busy main road, others have not been connected yet & some of the lights have been on all the time over the last few weeks. There was a light column installed and then removed & hole filled in outside Hamilton Lodge,not sure why ?.

The Council put in new pavements few months ago on Honor Oak Rd. LIghting contractor now back and digging up the new pavements as they are trying to connect the columns. You would have thought someone in the Council could have coordinated the works so that the columns were installed & connected up whilst the works to the pavement was being done.

These are excellent works that are being done by the Council - new pavements; roads resurfaced, new lighting but there is a lack supervision/co-ordination & a total lack of communication with residents - which in my opinion takes away the shine from these Council projects. I have written to the Council.

Snazy

18-06-2015 07:22 PM

Has it really been that long Michael? Wow. The lower part of Church Rise still suffers from the idiotic decision to put the lights in the trees. Doubt we will be so lucky to get those sorted.
Interested to see how different Westbourne Drive is when they switch them on. The placement is much better.

The lamp head replacement program on the south circular is really impressive, what a difference. Some poles being changed too.

Looking at some of the stories, it really has been a farce.

Poppy9560

18-06-2015 09:39 PM

I got a letter saying they're doing Brockley View despite the fact they did it last year Sad
I've no idea what exactly they are going to do but what a ridiculous waste of public money

davidl

18-06-2015 09:51 PM

I am hoping (would "assuming" be too strong a word?) that Skanska is paying for this as part of their agreement. I'd like to think that the placements have been inspected and found to be insufficient and that they're basically making them good.

Snazy

19-06-2015 02:43 PM

I was thinking the same David. Im sure they would have been responsible for the planning of the layout as well as the execution of it. Therefore should be responsible financially for correcting any mistakes.

I don't think a lot of them going up just after the trees had all bee cut back helped. But that said, I find it SO hard to believe that the work crews placed pole after pole into the canopy of trees, and didn't think it might all end in tears.

I guess its just a case of do as you are told to some, but at what point does the supervisor look and think, hmm lights in trees, they will work well!

junegapi

23-06-2015 12:43 PM

Does anybody know when Skanska will finish the job they started in Honor Oak Road? I have had a yellow board covering a hole outside my front door for at least one month. I have called the 'Hot' line several times and the answer is always the same - 'they are working on it' No they are not, HOR is littered with Skanska blue hurdles.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Leaves on trees / new street lighting Snazy 7 7,056 14-12-2013 06:23 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Skyglow and the new street lighting Erekose 2 4,014 04-09-2013 12:15 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Devonshire Road Street Lighting Replacement snoopy 2 3,745 27-06-2013 05:58 PM
Last Post: snoopy