SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
Recycling
Londondrz

23-01-2010 07:35 PM

There are recycle bins behind the Sainsburys in Forest Hill. In the car park.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dommy

27-01-2010 09:24 PM

I was told by Lewisham Council plastic bottles CAN go in the green recycling boxes / bins but that any other plastic containers CANNOT. The criteria is BOTTLE.

Londondrz

28-01-2010 10:57 AM

Lewisham council does a nice leaflet which outlines what you can and cant put in your bins. I believe if you go onto their web site there is also guidence.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

28-01-2010 11:48 AM

I emailed the appropriate department at Lewisham to ask why only plastic bottles are allowed in recycling boxes (and not other types of plastic packaging) when it is the type of plastic that is crucial to their ability to recycle it. I didn't get a reply that answered the question, just a reiteration that only bottles can be recycled.

Londondrz

28-01-2010 12:25 PM

The plastic in bottle is usually catagry 1 or 2, plastic containers tend to be other grades i.e. 3,4 or 5 which are currently not being recycled. I dont know why but that is the case. Tetrapac and similiar milk and juice cartons are also not able to go in the home recycling.

Londondrz

28-01-2010 12:27 PM
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

29-01-2010 12:31 PM

Thanks Londondrz, but that was my exact query to Lewisham, if my yoghurt pot, meat packet, etc is pure PETE (type 1) or HDPE (type 2) why cant it be included alongside my bottles of the same type. What is so special about a bottle? There are also quite a lot of plastic bottles which aren't PETE or HDPE too (those that contain cooking oil etc) so I asked how they are recycled.

My suspicion is that most LAs, rightly or wrongly, dont trust people to identify the plastic type correctly from the logos on the packaging and have calculated that the percentage of recyclable waste that is included if it is restricted to bottles is higher than if they stated you could recycle any plastic as long as it is PETE or HDPE. Again, I asked if this was the case.

It is just a shame Lewisham chose to ignore the text of my email and just sent out a standard reply which amounted to what's at the end of the link you posted.

I'm afraid, out of stubborness, I ignore the bottle advice and include any plastic packaging as long as it is PETE or HDPE.

Londondrz

29-01-2010 12:57 PM

Ah, sorry I see your point. I have to admit that if any item has a 1 or 2 on it it goes in the recycle bin. If they dont like it then tough, just doing my bit for the planet and all.....

shzl400

29-01-2010 01:43 PM

I do as IWAF does and put Type 1 and 2 plastics in my green box too.

The answer is, of course, that they have to cater for the lowest common denomination and the patronising council plainly feel (I'll bet the "consulted extensively") that people wouldn't understand how to look for the little number in the triangle - or they can't be bothered to explain.

Similarly, they ban shredded paper, because, I suspect, it makes too much mess. If only people could be bothered, as we do, to bag it in another paper bag (shopping at Primark can be useful!), then no problemo!

calvin

29-01-2010 06:38 PM

Some months ago, when Lewisham decided to take only plastic bottles, a lady representing the council knocked at our door with a leaflet & sticker outlining the new guidelines.

I asked her why we could no longer recycle yogurt pots, etc, and her reply was, as IWereAbsolutelyFuming suspects, that people were having trouble understanding the guidance. She may have been misinformed, but it was the answer I got.

eddiet

30-01-2010 12:43 AM

If I remember correctly - Lewisham (and other local authorities) contract their recycling to a MRF (materials recycling facility) which uses a variety of automated processes to separate out our combined recycling bins (the technical term is co-mingled!).

The issue with plastics is that the MRF can easily and automatically pick out plastic bottles because of their necks - other plastics are missed by this and are not economic to collect manually.

More info for recycling geeks on how a MRF operates at:
http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwich/Yo...ng/MRF.htm.

FHSoc

30-01-2010 12:13 PM

The previous answers are pretty much on the mark. Having spoken about this with various councillors, the problem is partially with the automatic sorting equipment and partially with the contract Lewisham negotiated.

The trouble is that if there is too much 'contamination' (i.e. plastics other than bottles, shredded paper, garden waste, black bags etc) then the whole load is rejected by Veolia and goes to SELCHP for incineration. So unfortunately, while you may feel that you are doing your bit by putting all type 1 and 2 plastics in, or by putting your shreddies in a Primark bag, your actions are actually resulting in lower recycling rates.

I understand that the recycling contract is up for renewal and would urge you to write to your councillors and Susan Wise (as Cabinet Member for Customer Services) urging them to increase the range of articles to the same as Southwark, who use the same facility. They can recycle shreddies, so we should be able to as well.

Southwark also have a useful page describing all article that can be recycled and how to recycle them.

derbybill

30-01-2010 02:19 PM

I put my shredded paper in the compost heap with all the veggy stuff and it helps to stop the mixture getting too soggy.
But I do have concerns about the possible toxicity of the printing inks that could end up in the veg that I grow using such compost and then in me: anyone with the technical knowledge to answer this one? perhaps I shouldnt worry about such microgram quantities!

NewForester

31-01-2010 02:18 AM

You might be interested in this article:

environmental-expert.com wrote:
Environment Minister Dan Norris has praised retailer Sainsbury?s and waste electrical and electronic equipment producer compliance scheme Recolight for an innovative recycling initiative.

Up to 200 Sainsbury?s stores are now providing recycling facilities for the co-collection of energy-saving light bulbs and portable batteries.

New legislation means that from February 1 all retailers are required to provide portable battery recycling (see MRW story).

Consumers can drop off their old compact fluorescent lamps, also known as energy-saving light bulbs, at large recycling containers at Sainsbury?s stores. There will be one flap for batteries and one for lamps as each of the materials will be recycled separately. All light bulbs and batteries collected will be sent for recycling at approved treatment facilities.

Five of Sainsbury?s stores which include Croydon, Sydenham, Greenwich, St Albans and Haringey have already piloted the initiative.

Environment Minister Dan Norris said: ?Using energy efficient bulbs saves energy, saves carbon and saves money, and I?m delighted to hear that Sainsbury?s and Recolight are taking the lead with this initiative to make it easier for people to recycle their bulbs when they come to the end of their long life. I very much hope that other retailers follow suit.?

Consumers can currently recycle end-of-life light bulbs at any of the country?s 1,100 civic amenity sites. However, Recolight state that this partnership is an important step in providing consumers with a wider range of options to make recycling low-energy light bulbs as easy as possible.

Recolight chief executive Nigel Harvey said: ?Recolight is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to maximising the recycling of fluorescent tubes which includes energy-saving light bulbs. We have already had considerable success keeping commercial lamps out of landfill. Working with Sainsbury?s will help us to significantly increase the number of consumer lamps that are recycled. Research has indicated that consumers will recycle energy-saving light bulbs if they have access to suitable drop off points. Sainsbury?s stores provide an excellent location for these joint collections.?

Harvey also said that he did not expect massive volumes initially because energy-saving light bulbs were currently ?not at their end-of-life stage yet but will be in a year or two? (see MRW story).

Sainsbury?s environmental affairs manager Jack Cunningham added: ?People want to recycle light bulbs but are often unsure of where the nearest recycling facilities are. Our recycling points will be visible to millions of customers every week, and we hope that this will help to increase recycling rates in the UK.?

NewForester

26-02-2010 07:32 PM

Not sure who this fellow is, but if you want to see what happens to your green bin, have a look at his blog and videos.

councillorsusanwise

02-03-2010 05:24 PM

I was very pleased to see that this Lewisham resident had such a good report of the trips that he went on as part of our everyday service operations to the SELCHP and the MRF plants that are part of Lewisham Council's recycling and waste management in the borough. It is a shame that, whereas I always keep my posts apolitical, at the end of his article he chose to deliberately misrepresent some very important issues within my remit for a cheap political swipe at me.

Councillor Susan Wise
Cabinet Member for Customer Services

Max

03-03-2010 12:04 AM

Councillor Wise,

it is not a cheap political swipe at all, but a consideration that I think has some merit.

Your remit is in fact two remits. You oversee both housing and environment, and these are two major and clearly distinct lines of actions of the Council.

I do believe that each of them deserves the full attention of at least one elected member and I also think that the mixed results of these two departments may have to do with the weakness of this arrangement.

May I ask you why you think that this consideration is not a legitimate one?

michael

03-03-2010 11:52 AM

I feel an election coming on!

michael

03-03-2010 11:53 AM

I might not have expressed that particularly well.

Johnc

03-03-2010 11:56 AM

Dont worry Michael its not the size of your cross but what you do with it thas important

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields