SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Speed of vehicles on Devonshire Road
Agent Shrub

20-11-2014 07:56 PM

Our cat was hit by a car last night just by our house. The speed bumps are entirely ineffective and once it gets to the evening vehicles drive far too quickly down devonshire road. We are at the honor oak end but I know the problem exists across the whole road. I think we should have a 20 mph limit along the road - I have had numerous close calls with other vehicles while driving as well with people travelling too quickly. What are people's thoughts on this?

On a side note I want to thank whoever took my cat's body to the vet so they could scan the microchip to contact me and let me know what happened. Sadly this wasn't the driver responsible so it was too late to help but I appreciated this rather than the council disposing of the body unbeknownst to me. He was a distinctive bengal cat, so if you read this - thanks as you didnt leave your details at the vet.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OakR

20-11-2014 10:13 PM

Sorry to hear about your cat but glad at least you found out what happened.

Re the road, I never drive down it as it just does not seem suitable for 2 way traffic - I personally think it would be better one way - I'd agree with 20mph there are too many hidden corners etc, or have a block half way up to it's no longer a through road.

helenS29

21-11-2014 01:21 PM

I'm so sorry about your cat. I have two of my own and I'm just round the corner from you. I agree about the speed of cars on Devonshire - I'm 38 weeks pregnant so a bit slower at crossing the road than normal and had an altercation with an idiot the other day who came speeding down the road just as I was crossing. He seemed to think he shouldn't slow down to avoid hitting me even though he was going at about 40. Lots of stupid people - especially when there's not much space to pull in! I completely avoid driving down Devonshire now - I go up to the top of my road and go via Honor Oak rd.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

21-11-2014 03:20 PM

[Post removed due to abuse -admin]

Sherwood

21-11-2014 03:47 PM

A cab driver told me he could drive over speed bumps at 60 mph. ineffective.

Iain

21-11-2014 04:05 PM

There is already a 20mph limit down that rd, but the police won't enforce it and I don't think the council can (yet...)

I lived on Boveney Rd until recently and that part of HOP was always difficult, jammed at rush hour, then speeding motorists at other times.

Recently moved to SE4 and we have the same issue on our new road!

mrm1ag1

21-11-2014 05:19 PM

Yes the road is already 20mph but I saw Conway take down the signs on the entrance to Devonshire road at hop end last week. Wondering what is happening as some other signs have gone up around the area which are still covered over....

barriedalenick

22-11-2014 09:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your cat.
I am on Cranston Road, part of the Perry Vale 20 mph area and my cat got hit a couple of days back. Luckily he is just about Ok but a bit of a mess. I don't think a single driver drives down here at less than 20 mph - it is completely ignored by drivers and the police. There is a speed reader sign thing half way down the road and you can stand by it all day and not see it register under 20 mph unless traffic is backed up.

Perryman

22-11-2014 03:25 PM

We can only hope that the signs are being removed in preparation for the introduction of the borough wide 20mph zone.

This thread alone clearly shows that currently drivers are not aware of isolated 20 mph areas - even people who live in the roads themselves.

It will take time, but as more boroughs sign up to the new speed limit, then most drivers will adjust. Residential roads = 20.

The problem is how you stop the 20% who will not comply and are more likely to be uninsured, untaxed, banned, over the limit and breaking the law in other ways.
You would have thought most drivers would want them off the road too, as these are the people more likely to cause accidents, but instead somehow see any enforcement as some massive infringement of drivers' freedom.

shzl400

23-11-2014 09:39 PM

Sorry to hear about your cat, OP.

However, I'm amazed that anyone can even think of driving at speed down Devonshire Road these days, regardless of what the limits are. And I'm sure it has got worse, particuarly recently. I'm constantly having to duck into a space at the side to let the oncoming traffic pass or vice versa. Most drivers are very considerate and do play this dodgems with a friendly flash of the lights, but some will insist on squeezing past at the narrowest parts.

That having been said, I wouldn't want to see a one way system imposed, as I think we would be cutting off our noses to spite our faces and the ones most inconvenienced would be those that live there.

What I would like to see is better phasing of the lights at the Honor Oak Road junction with Lordship Lane, so that it doesn't take multiple turns of the lights to get out (and I say this as a P4 passenger). I'd also suggest that the Forest Hill end of Devonshire Road be made a no right turn coming onto the South Circ.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Consultation re Forest Hill Road speed reduction pixysunflower 1 3,802 25-11-2018 02:43 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,380 16-03-2013 09:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Speed Humps in Garlies Road Lisa23garlies 3 5,223 25-07-2012 10:34 AM
Last Post: kelmscott