SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Mylene Klass
ForestHillier

20-11-2014 10:04 AM

So what do we think of above,s chat with Ed ?

So she slags off the proposed mansion tax, yet i didnt hear her say anything about the bedroom tax being unfair

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

20-11-2014 11:02 AM

Regardless, it did not cast him in the best light.

Deer in headlights springs to mind.

ForestHillier

20-11-2014 11:11 AM

Totally agree with you

sandy

20-11-2014 11:20 AM

Might have required some thought to respond to such an ill-thought out objection?

sydenhamcentral

20-11-2014 12:25 PM

She did say the Bedroom tax didn't work in the interview, but she was over the top and a bit rude, but an experienced politician should be able to handle a pop star.

And a bacon sandwich.

Mylene has a very good point which Ed wasn't able to counter. Ed was awful, he isn't a good leader, what on EARTH were Labour thinking when they elected him as leader, it's embarrassing. It's like they don't want to be in office! Ed Balls on the radio did a really good job of countering Mylenes point, however. My biggest fear is how they rate houses. Will they have to revalue every property, in which case everyone could end up with higher rates due to forced beyond their control. That wouldn't be good for anyone.

Baboonery

20-11-2014 01:20 PM

It's difficult to argue with someone who has no sense of their own ridiculousness, but the leader of a political party should be able to manage it.

ForestHillier

20-11-2014 01:22 PM

Think i have to agree about Ed - if he were PM,he would get eaten alive by the other heads of state.

Good point about the re-valuing of house/flats - would they want to re-band all the council tax bands - which could mean you move into a much higher band, which i feel would be totally unfair in people who live in London

sandy

20-11-2014 04:10 PM

But shouldn't people be taxed on unearned income i.e. just because one happens to be in an area with rising house prices?

sydenhamcentral

20-11-2014 04:24 PM

My home is my home, it's not income, I can't spend it. Any rise is meaningless. If I sell my home, all the other homes have gone up, which makes it more expensive to sell it or buy somewhere else. We have to stop thinking about our homes as income and investments, it's part of the problem of house prices.

If I had a second property though (which I don't), that's a different matter.

sandy

20-11-2014 04:52 PM

I agree about homes not investment but moving out of London to cheaper areas would give a distinct advantage over anyone living there to buy there.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

20-11-2014 05:13 PM

[Post removed due to abuse -admin]

sandy

20-11-2014 05:25 PM

But it is preferable to stamp duty where the buyer pays. The name is unhelpful (why not part of capital gains?) and how are property companies and overseas buyers pushing up prices, and pricing people out of London through huge rent hikes, creating growth exactly?

OakR

20-11-2014 10:28 PM

I've only seen a couple of clips posted. I agree with her re the mansion tax - a crass populist idea that has no real logic or purpose for me and will make next to no difference to government finances. Smacks of desperation.

As for Labour voting him in, well they didn't really if I remember, the unions did. Without the unions, his brother was in, and Dave would have had some real competition. I'm sure Ed is probably a good principled guy and MP, he is just not leader material.

The brief clips I saw I thought she did well, non MPs are not meant to be polished in their message and I like the directness of her approach.

Londondrz

21-11-2014 09:24 AM

I feel a window tax coming in next! MaybeLaugh

ForestHillier

21-11-2014 01:31 PM

Better watch out for how many steps you have leading up your houses

Sherwood

21-11-2014 03:43 PM

Perhaps we should have a legs tax. If you have two legs you pay.

Most of these stupid taxes ignore the price differential for London properties.

ForestHillier

27-11-2014 08:42 AM

Yes Sandy people should be taxed on unearned income - yet to tax people just because they have a nicer/bigger home is wrong, as we dont control the prices of homes, we just live in them, why should we work hard, get a nice home, then be clobbered with tax for that, it appears and i may be wrong, that Labour actaully detest the true working class people who wont to try and get on in life

sandy

27-11-2014 10:46 AM

If you were to argue that any improvements made to a house should not be subject to VAT I'd agree that it could be said the home owner has contributed to the increased value. If money is simply accrued from living in a particular area perhaps the unearned profit could be taxed to redistribute somewhat through services to people in not such a fortunate location. The name 'mansion tax' is not helpful.

sydenhamcentral

16-12-2014 11:28 AM

Are you actually saying that people who live in an area that becomes better should have their homes taxed to improve other areas that aren't as nice, which then would mean that those people would ten be taxed when their are improves etc.

So if someone stays in those areas, through no fault of their own, they will be penalised.

This would then lead to people not wanting their are improved as they wouldn't want to pay more tax!

This doesn't make any sense. Have I misunderstood?

Sherwood

16-12-2014 11:40 AM

I actually liked the Poll Tax. Each individual paid the same. Presumably the cost of providing services is related more to the number of occupants of a property than the value of the property.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields