SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fireworks - can we stop now, please...
gbrownings

09-11-2014 10:31 PM

Bonfire night seems to last weeks these days - tonight is Nov 9 and still they are being let off in people's gardens. Have some consideration - not everyone want to listen to YOUR fireworks. I do not and my dog, cowering under a bed, certainly does not.

Bonfire night is November 5 - I reluctantly accept fireworks on this day and maybe an extra weekend day when it falls midweek, but these days it seems endless.

In my view they should only be allowed at organised events staged in public areas ideally away from housing ie. - not in your back garden.

If you are interested in seeing some form of firework sales control consider signing this:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71570

thanks

This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 10:31 PM by gbrownings.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BringOutTheCranston

09-11-2014 10:33 PM

There are specific regulations

The rules

gbrownings

09-11-2014 10:48 PM

- and this is why the rules need looking at. Currently OK to set off explosives in your garden at 22.59 on a Sunday night (Remembrance Sunday included FGS)....

BringOutTheCranston

09-11-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:
and this is why the rules need looking at.

why?

The rules are quite clear on the selling and use of fireworks.

Now when I was a kid the festivities all happened on Nov 5th, but now it's considered better to have the events on the nearest weekend - which might include this weekend as 9 is nearly as close to 5 as 2.

I actually agree with you. We should get back to holding traditional celebrations on the traditional day and not on the nearest weekend so that business/school isn't "interrupted". I recall as a teenager going to fireworks during the week and fireworks night being an exciting change from the normal routine.

If we all celebrated on the 5th then there would no need for events on surrounding weekends.

oryx

09-11-2014 11:59 PM

Where I am (Stillness/Blythe Hill Fields area) they were going off really late last night.

When that ended there were some idiots on mopeds making a lot of noise - I suspect it was Blythe Hill Fields but couldn't bear to get out of bed & take a look!

There are some inconsiderate & anti-social so-and-sos out there.

Jane_D

10-11-2014 12:11 AM

Does anyone else think that fireworks are getting louder? Some of the ones in peoples' gardens this year seem to be as big and noisy as those in public displays.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields