SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Duffing
Jon Lloyd

15-08-2008 12:25 PM

Any fans of Gideon Coe out there (10-12pm Mon-Thurs on 6Music)? He does a section on 'duffing' - basically about being an old duffer either before your time or just generally because you are, in fact, now officially classed as old by the yoof. The main thing is though that you're proud of it.

I mention this after following the bread-making thread, as it's prime duffing, as indeed are many of the themes on this site. Which is why I like it. I too have a breadmaker, and I'm not yet 40. If I were to shift it into my shed, and make my loaves in there while listening to the shipping forecast in my slippers, I would be well on the way to duffing nirvana.

Anyone else prepared to declare their solidarity with this most gentle of causes? The world needs more duffers, I feel, in these troubled times.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cellar Door

15-08-2008 02:41 PM

Jon Lloyd wrote:
If I were to shift it into my shed, and make my loaves in there while listening to the shipping forecast in my slippers, I would be well on the way to duffing nirvana.

Jon, when I read that sentence I was lost in a reverie that has now lasted two hours but it seemed like seconds. Sitting here with a goofy, serene, simple smile and my eyes looking happily into my duffing future. Please send me more sentences like that!

Elizabeth25

16-08-2008 07:43 AM

Love connection on SE23.com? (Jon is a writer though--hence the cool sentences)

Jon Lloyd

16-08-2008 11:29 AM

Thank you both, though I am partnered up with a kid on the way so the love connection may have to... erm... wait! Wish I was a writer - damn sight more interesting than trudging into a central London office every day.

OK, the duffing feedback is not going very well is it? Either people are too afraid to admit they prefer cocoa and Midsomer Murders to Aftershocks and night buses or I have misjudged the forum users. We'll see. Come on, someone must be harbouring a secret duffing pleasure. This is the place to admit to it.

RussB

16-08-2008 12:55 PM

Midsomer Murders is duffing? OK, then I guess that includes me. But I'd like to think that if I ever were to get a shed to listen to Radio 4 in, it would a bit more exiting than the regular ones, maybe a Tardis shed.

michael

16-08-2008 12:58 PM

I don't you can really call yourself a duffer if you have found Radio 6 and listen to it. Now if you will excuse me I am listening to Radio 4 in my slippers and need to get back to my game of Facebook Scrabble.

Cellar Door

16-08-2008 01:43 PM

It will have to wait much longer since if sexuality were a ballroom then Jon and I are dancing down different ends.

I'm trying to work out what being a Gay Duffer means. For me it's being squeamish to be around the squealing gays of Soho venues such as G-A-Y. I'd much prefer a country pub with a glass of real ale, smoking some Old Holborn and listening to Oasis on the jukebox. Not really gay at all.

I'm glad this forum is anonymous as The Gay Council would cancel my membership.

psyche9

16-08-2008 02:26 PM

Duffing list:
the aforementioned slippers, shed, radio 4, shipping forecast.
Also:
Dr Who, libraries, church flower-arranging, gardening / allotments, going down to Kent, caravans and camping, knitting, tea in teapot, baccy smoking, fish paste, dancing, elderflower wine, road-side strawberry stalls, firesides, cats, compost heaps, ale, gentle cycling (as opposed to lycra-clad-I'm-not-stopping-for-anyone).

Men in shorts with velcro sandals seems to be a duffer thing but I'll leave them off the list for aesthetic reasons.

Cellar Door

16-08-2008 07:32 PM

psyche9 wrote:
Dr Who, libraries, church flower-arranging, gardening / allotments, going down to Kent, caravans and camping, knitting, tea in teapot, baccy smoking, fish paste, dancing, elderflower wine, road-side strawberry stalls, firesides, cats, compost heaps, ale, gentle cycling (as opposed to lycra-clad-I'm-not-stopping-for-anyone).

I ticked almost every item of that superb list.

I have to conclude that I am a Duffer. And proud of it!

To all my Duffer Brothers and Sisters of SE23 (and beyond) let us stand tall and proud together.

michael

16-08-2008 07:46 PM

Could I recommend growing a beard?
I feel that facial hair may be an important aspect of duffing, although for women it may be less desirable.

Jon Lloyd

16-08-2008 07:57 PM

Excellent stuff. This is good. I am enjoying myself. By pure coincidence I have just finished eating the first pie I've ever made (chicken, leek and mushroom - delicious). I made it listening to Leonard Cohen, after spending the day weeding and chopping a hedge.
I am not joking.
Tomorrow afternoon we're going round to a mate's house specifically to eat cake.

Jon Lloyd

16-08-2008 08:03 PM

BTW, absolutely spot on psyche 9.

And while I like Scrabulous, a better Scrabble site is the Internet Scrabble Club http://www.isc.ro/en

You can play live on there.

Cellar Door

16-08-2008 08:36 PM

Jon Lloyd wrote:
...I have just finished eating the first pie I've ever made (chicken, leek and mushroom - delicious). I made it listening to Leonard Cohen, after spending the day weeding and chopping a hedge.

I had another transcendental experience reading about your day. This is nirvana. Nirvana if you believe that it is a state characterized by freedom from or oblivion to pain, worry, and the external world.

I'm in my own state right now listening to BBC7's The Burkiss Way. There must be a God because they have created Portable Digital Radio. Heaven on earth this is.

Jon Lloyd

16-08-2008 09:50 PM

I don't know about oblivion, it was quite a spiky hedge and I very undufferishly neglected to be wearing the correct attire for the job.

Jon Lloyd

16-08-2008 09:55 PM

I think Midsomer counts as duffing, depending on how it's watched. If it's must-watch TV, I'd say duffer.
No doubts about Gardener's World though.

Cellar Door

17-08-2008 10:23 AM

Jon Lloyd wrote:
I don't know about oblivion, it was quite a spiky hedge and I very undufferishly neglected to be wearing the correct attire for the job.

Yikes! I've got a much less prickly task to do today. I have an Elderflower tree attempting to grow outside my kitchen window. It has found the water flow from the kitchen sink and is setting up shop. I sense that this might be a bad thing for the integrity of the structure of the house. Years of Gardeners' Question Time experience in me there is. I shall be attempting to transplant/graft the tree into the lower garden where it will do less damage while listening to Bob Flowerdew on today's programme of GQT.

And I've got to squeeze in Soho Pride today, of course. I'll be wearing nothing more than body glitter, a posing pouch and a smile. Actually, that sounds too busy. Rather than Soho Pride I might get around to finally organising Forest Hill Shame.

Applespider

17-08-2008 11:06 PM

I think I approached duffer status this morning while sitting with my pot of tea, scrambled eggs watching the Olympics with a tear in my eye... Thankfully, I didn't get round to doing the ironing while watching so not sure I hit the heady duffer heights...

Cellar Door

18-08-2008 11:54 AM

Applespider wrote:
?so not sure I hit the heady duffer heights...

Fear not young Applespider. It may not be about achieving any goal. I'm not aware of any Duffer mountain that we must climb to reach any height. This feels closer to being more within the realms of the Art of Zen. You just be and become one with it.

The Duffer Master has spoken.

Andy

18-08-2008 01:22 PM

Listening to Bob Dylan whilst making a lemon meringue pie yesterday. Does this qualify?

Jon Lloyd

18-08-2008 02:47 PM

It does indeed Andy.

And talking of Zen... Buddhist monk goes into pizza place. Pizza man asks what he'd like on it and the monk replies: "Make me one with everything."

Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields