SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
Duffing
Andy

18-08-2008 04:36 PM

So, the pizza man says 'that'll be ?8.50 please'. Guy gives him a tenner and then he stands there for a minute and asks 'what about my change?' to which he gets the response 'Change must come from within'

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jon Lloyd

18-08-2008 07:51 PM

Andy, you are a Word magazine reader, and I claim my prize! I guess The Word, and in particular David Hepworth's rants about modern society, would most definitely come under a duffering moniker. That's why it's the best mag in the world. And no, I don't work on it.

Johnc

19-08-2008 07:43 AM

I did recently start thumbing through a copy of Yours magazine in Sainsbury's --- I'm starting to get very worried

fany9560

19-08-2008 05:17 PM

I can't believe no-one has mentioned The Archers! Sunday morning for me is sitting in bed with freshly brewed coffee, the remains of Saturday's paper and The Archers followed by Desert Island Discs. On Sunday evening it is Heartbeat and a nice glass of wine

My workmates are beginning to notice dufferish tendencies - I kepp saying my pals aer meeting in the pub and I can't be bothered going Unsure

Elizabeth25

20-08-2008 09:14 AM

Anyone listen to Saturday Live on Radio 4? Still not on podcast. (oh dear, Radio 4 on podcast--digital duffing?)

Cellar Door

20-08-2008 11:21 AM

Elizabeth25 wrote:
Anyone listen to Saturday Live on Radio 4?

Hey Elizabeth 25, I like Fi Glover but Saturday Live is a little too frenetic and shouty while nursing my usual Saturday morning hangover at 9am.

At that time, while swearing I'll never set foot again into The Hob nor drink a pint of lager again, I'm lurking over at Radio 2 for my weekly visit.
It's Sounds of the 60s for me with the soothing, dulcet tones of Brian Matthew. By the time 10am comes around I'm usually ready for Jonathan Ross (or Mark Lamarr and Jo Brand at this time of year).

And if all you young groovers think this is uncool then I've got even better news for you.

I listen to the BBC Worldservice.

Ha! Whaddya think about that!

Elizabeth25

20-08-2008 12:11 PM

"...a little too frenetic and shouty..."

I love it, Radio 4 too much for some duffers.

Toddler in the house, so generally up at 6:00 am. By the time Saturday Live comes on hangovers have mellowed and bit and it is time to have a cup of tea and hang out the laundry.

Actually, I love hanging out the laundry. Making sure I make use of all available space on the line, and hanging in a way to minimise wrinkles. Oh dear...sad duffer now.

Cellar Door

20-08-2008 12:26 PM

Elizabeth25 wrote:
Oh dear...sad duffer now.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Elizabeth25, please don't say "sad duffer". You'll spook the horses.

Say "Proud Duffer". Here, please listen to me as I'm now going to shorthand this for you and any other Duffer that is sliding back.

This is a formal Duffer intervention.

Go to your window. Open it and shout "I am a Proud Duffer".

And while you're at it, check that the laundry on the line is ok. I sense rain.

Andy

20-08-2008 03:19 PM

Perhaps we should have a duffers meeting. Reminisce about Monty Python, talk about Preparation H and high blood pressure. Have some real ale, a prawn cocktail and a chicken kiev. Sounds like fun to me although it will have to be soon or I will be too old for that sort of excitement.

Jon Lloyd

20-08-2008 07:21 PM

Nice idea, but duffing is a very solitary pursuit I feel. Public places are, in general, anathema to anyone with duffing tendencies. Unless Andy you own your own un-gastro-fied local pub with a samovar, smoking saloon, slipper stand and Neil Diamond jukebox?

RussB

20-08-2008 08:30 PM

Duffing may be be a solitary pursuit, but it's certainly a private house-bound one. You might engage in some duffing with a spouse, or other peer-group family, but the one place it will take place is in your home. Or your garden. The two places where duffing will take place are your house and garden. And maybe an allotment. Amongst the duffing... amongst the places where duffing may take place... I'll come in again...

RussB

20-08-2008 08:35 PM

Pedantry is certainly a duffing pursuit and so before anyone points out my mistake let me say that the first sentence of my above post should have been "Duffing may not be a solitary pursuit, but it's certainly a private house-bound one."

Andy

22-08-2008 10:22 AM

I'm afraid that using words like 'podcast' automatically disqualifies you from the duffers society.

Elizabeth25

22-08-2008 11:26 AM

No! Podcasts are used by Digital Duffers. "I am a proud duffer"

Cellar Door

22-08-2008 12:23 PM

That's it Elizabeth25. You go, Girlfriend. *snap of the fingers*

I'm dancing around the room like I'm Oprah Winfrey and you're a guest who's just had their sweetest epiphany.

Jon Lloyd

22-08-2008 12:52 PM

I agree. Large portions of duffing crossover into idling territory, and there's few better ways of idling away the time than catching up on hours of previously broadcast radio. In fact my journey to and from work is made bearable only because I'm listening to recorded radio, so it's a godsend for blocking out the rest of the 'modern' world.

Andy

22-08-2008 02:47 PM

But obviously you have to get home to watch Corrie.

Jon Lloyd

25-08-2008 04:29 PM

A Bank Holiday Monday spent entirely on hoovering, eating, drinking tea and gardening. Admittedly yesterday we ventured into the Metropolis to watch Hellboy II (as we had discount vouchers), but I believe the duffing won out as we nearly left due to the excessive volume. Why oh why oh why?????

jon14

26-08-2008 10:37 AM

I'm quite young but got quite excited when my first copy of my Gardner's World subscription came through the door on Firday....

Does that count?

Cellar Door

26-08-2008 11:44 AM

jon14 wrote:
I'm quite young but got quite excited when my first copy of my Gardner's World subscription came through the door on Firday....

Does that count?

Absolutely. Welcome to the Duffer Club, jon14. Your membership pack is in the post.

I hope that you enjoyed Monty Don's article on "Colourful planting combinations" in the August Issue. Wasn't he spot-on showing us how to use different shades and colour combinations to alter the mood of a garden?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields