SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Coffee shop at HOP station priced out
TrypF

18-10-2014 07:09 PM

Hi there, long time lurker, first-time poster. I've been an HOP resident for ten years.

I was concerned to hear from Dave, the cheery feller who runs the coffee shop at the station, that London Overground Rail Operations Ltd have decided to double the rent on the concession and that he will shortly be out of a job.

I've always been delighted with the coffee and service there, and Dave's cheery nature and choice of music always starts my day off well. I fear AMT, Costa or another chain will take it over - not a bad thing in itself, but I'd rather get my paper from Dave have a chat and listen to, say, John Coltrane than from some poor sap asking me if 'I want any cakes or pastries with that', to the strains of inoffensive mulch like, say, Dido. It's one of the little things that add to the community feel in HOP.

Am I being precious, or does anyone think this is worth complaining/protesting about?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lillam

19-10-2014 01:37 AM

Couldnt agree more. I dont shop at any coffeshops but he really makes the atmosphere at HOP station - hearing his top music choices drift across the station really gets the day off on the right foot, and theres genuine interaction amongst people in our station, and he plays a big part in that.

Doubling the rent is the worst greed - I'm so sick of hearing this in London. They should be happy theres someone managing to make some kind of living out of the spot.

If theres anything to be done to stop it happening count me in.

BillieJameson

19-10-2014 11:03 AM

He's a lovely bloke and I try to have enough time before my train too buy a coffee and have a chat. Love his variety of music too.

Sherwood

19-10-2014 12:17 PM

Inflation (CPI) in September 2014 was 1.2%. I cannot see how anyone can justify raising rent by 100%.

Anotherjohn

19-10-2014 04:54 PM

Out of interest, does anyone know how much the rent was or is now?

nottinghillbilly

19-10-2014 08:12 PM

I fear eventually every service station,Airport,Station Concourse and rail platform in the land will soon have a bloody Costa on it ......I'm sick and tired of the lack of choice due to the greed of various landlords.

OakR

19-10-2014 08:26 PM

I've not used it in quite a while, but did when it was run by Andy, who I think owns / owned it and also one in Brockley station I think.

I seem to remember him having spent money on refitting the area out, and being told shortly afterwards they were going to tear it apart - I think it was for the new ticket gates. It sounded fairly disgraceful at the time.

I'd agree it would be a shame to go, but I guess it's market forces, if the landlords can get twice the price, why would they not? I realise that sounds callous but not sure what can be done (unless they have gone against the terms of the lease).

Anotherjohn

19-10-2014 08:29 PM

But does anyone have a clue how much the rent we're talking about?

TrypF

19-10-2014 09:28 PM

You're right OakR, there's nothing against the law to stop them getting what they can for this tiny shop. But it shows, as someone once wrote, they know the price of everything and the value of nothing. I don't know whether a petition will be any use against LOROL, as notions such as livelihoods, community etc. appear to mean nothing to them. Anotherjohn, I've no idea what the current rent on the spot is. I'd wager it's no more than a speck on LOROL's balance sheet.

OakR

19-10-2014 10:21 PM

Hi TrypF, and welcome to the forum by the way Smile

My question was a serious one - why would they not increase the rent? I think if there is no answer to that, there is no answer. (I'm not saying there is not an answer, I just don't know what it is)

You (not you specifically but generally) can always try and put pressure on, try to get local papers involved and get it stopped from a PR perspective, get some social media involved, that seems to work as much as anything it appears.

oryx

19-10-2014 10:22 PM

Oh no, that's really bad news - not only is he a nice bloke but the coffee is pretty decent as well - if I have time I will always use his coffee stall rather than the chains at London Bridge or East Croydon. Sad

Anotherjohn

20-10-2014 06:49 AM

From what's been said here it does seem very unfair that this nice popular bloke is losing his job. But, apparently, he's only employed there so does he really know if the rent has doubled or is that something that his boss might have told him whether it's strictly true or not?

I don't use the station so I don't know the guy but I totally get the love and the sympathy for him and, one way or another, I would like to try to help him keep his job. But I need to know some facts about the rent before I sign any petitions. Although, thinking about it, I would support something along the lines (oops, pun) of 'SAVE DAVE!' regardless of the rent issue.

lacb

20-10-2014 09:02 AM

No actual answers AnotherJohn but this seems to be the tender invitation:
http://travelpointtrading.com/Particular...20(v1).pdf

So, it is reasonable to expect that bids have been received. There are contact numbers there if anyone wants to try and source a figure that way.

I agree with the sentiment in that I also enjoy the music. Sadly, am not helping to keep the business afloat as make better coffee at home.

mrwandle

20-10-2014 09:33 AM

There's got to be a balance between the station operator's need to generate income to supplement tranpost services and the desire to create pleasent enviroments for passengers. You would have thought that taking a very small hit on potential rental revenue at one station wouldn't make any different to TfL at all?

Anotherjohn

20-10-2014 10:01 AM

Thank you lacb, that clears things up for me - as do most of your posts.

It looks like Dave's employer's Lease was due to expire and he's been unsuccessful in his attempt to renew it through the tendering process, which ended nearly 4 months ago.

As things stand it's not looking good for Dave but, with the help of a load of signatures supporting him, the ingoing Leaseholder might like to keep him on.

I've got my fingers crossed for ya Dave!

Sherwood

20-10-2014 11:09 AM

You could tell the incoming owner that if they do not keep him on, you will all boycott the coffee stall.

Also, I suggest that you consider whether TUPE applies to his job.

OakR

20-10-2014 11:41 AM

Does TUPE apply for companies with a number of employees under a certain number?

I feel bad for the leaseholder who put a lot of work into this and before things started to change as much as they have in HOP.

Sherwood

20-10-2014 01:49 PM

The ACAS website says:-

"The TUPE rules apply to organisations of all sizes and protect employees' rights ..."

My personal opinion is that TUPE applies in this case, but I think the individual should seek independent legal advice.

If I am right his employer has a duty to consult with his staff.

lacb

20-10-2014 02:23 PM

In no way an expert on this, but I think that TUPE would only apply if the current business carried on trading under new management. If the existing shop closed then I can't see how it can protect any existing employee.

Sherwood

20-10-2014 05:12 PM

I thought they were doubling the rent - not closing the shop.

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Planning application to convert Home Accessories Extra to a coffee shop hillview 8 11,225 22-04-2018 12:35 PM
Last Post: hillview
  From the forest coffee shop Cesca3 3 6,106 27-01-2015 02:54 PM
Last Post: lukeyfoxtrot
  New coffee shop Scotslass 23 28,059 27-08-2014 12:48 PM
Last Post: tomangel
  New coffee shop in Forest Hill admin 23 27,627 15-01-2014 05:51 PM
Last Post: Prampusher
  Horniman Triangle Coffee Shop Airguitarman 1 5,085 02-04-2009 10:02 PM
Last Post: michael
  New Coffee Shop Ciej 4 7,175 27-02-2009 02:48 PM
Last Post: multisync
  Does Perry Vale need a coffee shop? Savvy 17 17,792 06-06-2008 04:47 PM